[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
i always pronounced the R incorrectly do a lot of american
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /int/ - International

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 2
File: golem.jpg (571 KB, 1661x930) Image search: [Google]
golem.jpg
571 KB, 1661x930
i always pronounced the R incorrectly

do a lot of american children have difficulties with the correct pronunciation of R when growing up?

I'm practicing it and its so difficult. it's going to take me months probably to get it right
>>
It's weird isn't it? Yes actually some of our children will pronounce r's as w's. (Mentally handicapped people do this too)

It's really quite unusual. Kind of halfway between French j and English w.
No one will bat an eye if you pronounce it as in German however.
>>
>>57407328

what do you mean? it most parts of germany the R is produced with your throat
>>
I used to think words with wr in them just had silent w's. Turns out every other initial r just started to be pronounced as a wr.
>>
>>57407388
And we're kinda used to hearing this from Germans
>>
>>57407440

no I think you're used to the tongue R like hitler pronounces it
>>
>>57407215
Only use the front half of your tongue. Only let the sides of your tongue touch the roof of your mouth. Imagine you are making a taco shape with your tongue.

The sound is not made with the throat at all. It's just in the mouth
>>
they actually don't pronounce it and replaced it with w instead because their tongue is not strong enough

write because wite
and rabbit is ofc wabbit

it is not the same reason why you can't because you do it by habit
>>
>>57407215
It's err. You just say err.

Post vocaroo
>>
>>57407532

I can pronounce the R somewhat like this

but the transition from vowels to the R like in "hard" and "or" is difficult
>>
My two year old nephew can't do R yet. It's considered cute when you're a toddler though. It's pretty common for people to have trouble with R. A few kids in my elementary school had to take speech therapy.

http://mommyspeechtherapy.com/?p=2113

You got me interested. I'm going to work with my nephew.
>>
File: 300px-Uvular_rhotics_in_Europe.png (89 KB, 300x384) Image search: [Google]
300px-Uvular_rhotics_in_Europe.png
89 KB, 300x384
>>57407478
I don't listen to Nazi speeches, Nazi.
>>
>>57407563

http://vocaroo.com/i/s1tiovmbAyqc
>>
yes i had the same problem as a child. my best friend's name was robert and i called him wahbut for years.
>>
>>57407215
I didn't, but some kids pronounce it as "aww" rather than a hard North American"arr"

Now learning how to make the "sh" sound on the other hand was a bitch of a time
>>
>>57407657

i think my T was way to rough
>>
>>57407215
A decent amount of children pronounce r's as w's. I used to say "twuck" and "caw" until I was 7, but it's not especially common for kids that aren't toddlers
>>
Put the tip of your tongue up against the ridge behind your teeth and purse your lips very slightly and then push air out of your lungs with your glottis held taut.
>>
>>57407657
Not, terrible. Just keep practicing. People will know you're foreign but they will be able to understand you.
>>
>>57407657
That sounds fine. Yeah the t was a little harsh though. Sounded like an American putting on a bad British accent.
>>
>>57407590
You could always cheat a bit life I do when I talk fast.

Keep touching the sides of your tongue on the roof of your mouth, but also SLIGHTLY use the tip of your tongue. The tip should barely touch the part of the roof that is just behind the rough part. Then you put some air between the tip of your tongue and that little notch just behind the rough part of the roof.

This is really hard to explain, but it's kind of like rolling your R but the tip of your tongue is farther back in your mouth and you don't quite make the rolling sound
>>
https://youtube.com/watch?v=AX0XDHF3M60
>>
>>57407774
Wait nm, like that but allow the air to escape at the middle of your tongue make sure none passes around the sides.
>>
>>57407847
>>57407815

thanks. it took me A LOT of effort though.
cant do it speaking at normal speed
>>
>>57407215
It's fine, German accents are the cutest desu
Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.