[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hey, I have a language question for the Finnish on this board
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /int/ - International

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 3
File: Regions_in_Finland.svg.png (532 KB, 2000x3383) Image search: [Google]
Regions_in_Finland.svg.png
532 KB, 2000x3383
Hey, I have a language question for the Finnish on this board

Why are Finnish words so long? How come you can't break them up into smaller words? Also, what do all the umlauts do for the words? Thanks
>>
The top part looks like a guy waving.
>>
File: entiedä.png (10 KB, 223x226) Image search: [Google]
entiedä.png
10 KB, 223x226
>>57358599
I don't know.
>>
>>57358599
they are stupid
>>
>>57358599
>Why are Finnish words so long?
Probably because of how the language behaves and the huge amount of composite words in the language. Words like twin bed or city centre would be written as twinbed and citycentre in Finnish. Non-composite base words aren't usually that long, but since the language doesn't use particles or pronouns to convey your relationship to the subject and instead uses word endings the words tend to grow quite a bit when used in sentences.
>How come you can't break them up into smaller words?
Composite words you can (tietokone-> tieto=knowledge kone=machine). But as I said before because there are no particles or words to convey your relationship to the subject, it might seem that you can't break them up into smaller words. The endings have separate meanings but on their own they do not mean anything. (koirallamme, koira= dog, -lla= on the dog / dog owns or has something, -mme= our dog, so koirallamme= on our dog/our dog has.)
>Also, what do all the umlauts do for the words?
ä ö å are separate letters and pronounced differently than a or o. That's like asking what do the letters e or o do for the words in english.
>>
>>57358931
t. ylilauta pro
>>
File: 1453394419111.png (11 KB, 211x246) Image search: [Google]
1453394419111.png
11 KB, 211x246
>>57358931

>Finnish language
>>
God doesn't like Finnish people
>>
>>57358599
When pronouncing a or o, the air pressure is in the front of your mouth, near your teeth.

When pronouncing ä or ö, the pressure shifts to the back of your mouth, near your throat.
(This is also why there aren't many words that contain both a/o and ä/ö unless it's a compound word.)

You can try it by comparing 'cat' and 'car'.
In 'cat' you pronounce 'a' like you pronounce 'ä'.
Pay attention to the sensation in your mouth and you can tell the difference.
>>
>>57358599
Not Finnish and I'm probably wrong but here's my guess:

The words are long because you have a root word, then a bunch of addons that mean different things (case, gender, etc), not to mention the likely have compound words like German.
No real reason
Umlauts just change the sound of vowels.
>>
>>57360076
We don't have have gender in our words (except for some professions using -tar/-tär suffix, but those aren't complusory).
But yes, lots of compound words and suffixes that act in place of prepositions and post-positions.
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.