[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>be Americunt >be native English speaker >it's
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /int/ - International

Thread replies: 79
Thread images: 21
>be Americunt
>be native English speaker
>it's the only language you speak
>it's a pretty easy language
>anyone who has studied it for a while can manage to use it fairly well
>still spell some everyday words wrong
>confuse 'good' and 'well'
>fuck up basic verbal structures
>>
American't into English
>>
>>57161986
Stop insulting my dad, Spain. Fuck off.
>>
>>57161986
also,
>have retarded farmer accent that sounds like fucking kermit
>>
>>57161986
>confuse 'good' and 'well'
If your refering to the response to, "How are you?" technically neither is wrong because the question is poorly defined.
>>57162165
Do you think all America and Britain have only one accent each?
>>
>>57162424
Yes, I think that

No, of course I don't fuck you
You won't understand because you are american, but every single american accent sounds like a fucking farmer's accent
also, you have no ideas what actual accents are like
Americans go on about "canadian accents" when in actuality, they just pronounce a handful of sounds differently
>>
File: total-county.gif (63 KB, 971x585) Image search: [Google]
total-county.gif
63 KB, 971x585
>Americans divide """dialects""" based on what word for soft drink they use

shiggydiggy.jpeg
>>
>>57162424
>your instead of you're
>refering instead of referring

No, but seriously. I mean things like 'I am doing good'. Unless you're Superman you are probably not doing good, you are doing well. Also, the USA is a pretty homogeneous country accent-wise if you compare it to practically any other country. The same happens in Australia. Hell, even England has a lot more accents even when you have states bigger than that country itself.
>>
>>57162511
Except our rhotic pronounciation along with Britain's West country, Scottish amd Irish accents are closer to the original accent. The standard British accent is the result of East Anglian Middle Class wanting to sound different during the industrial revolution (and even we have some areas that have non-rhotic accents) you ignorant twat.
>>
>>57162996
>Reducing a complex phenomenon to just people trying to sound fancy
>>
>>57162883
>our instead of you're
>>refering instead of referring
Sorry on a phone and tend to mistype/not see everything I've typed.

As far as our accents you Euros seem to forget we have accents like Cajun, Boston/Eastern New England (southies have a really distinct one), Brooklyn, Queens, Staten Island (people here wrongly think it's a New Jersey accent), Long Island (which they pronounce Lawn Guy Land), African American, Chicano, etc. We also have some dialects like Pennsylvania Dutch English but other than the Amish speakers it's dying off.
>>
File: 1457477620067.png (47 KB, 640x560) Image search: [Google]
1457477620067.png
47 KB, 640x560
>>57162729
No.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_English
Also, pic related for people who call all skft drinks "coke"
>>
>>57163152
Except that is exactly the origin:

"It was around the time of the American Revolution that non-rhotic speech came into use among the upper class in southern England, in and around London. According to John Algeo in "The Cambridge History of the English Language" (Cambridge University Press, 2001), this shift occurred because people of low birth rank who had become wealthy during the Industrial Revolution were seeking ways to distinguish themselves from other commoners; they cultivated the prestigious non-rhotic pronunciation in order to demonstrate their new upper-class status."

http://m.livescience.com/33652-americans-brits-accents.html
>>
>>57163496
>American dialect meme
>mobile link

Two can play this game: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slovene_dialects
>>
>>57161986
>there aren't idiots with poor language skills in every country
>>
>>57162049
We are your daddy.
>>
>>57162996
Yeah, I'm aware
Americans still sound like shit and British sound acceptable
Maybe I would have complained about the general sound of english all those years back then
But that doesn't matter
I'm not ignorant, I just don't like the sound
The same way I don't like the sound of portuguese
But go ahead and try to fight me, bitch boy
>>
>>57162883
>I am doing good
When choosing 'good' over 'well,' most Americans (in my experience, of course) would simply say 'I'm good' or just 'Good' as a response.
>>
>>57163351
Yes, it's a good amount of accents. But in Spain (which is a small country compared to the US) we have a lot more accents than that, for example. In the South people speak with Andalusian accent, and in every province that accent branches out to a lot of other accents. Hell, the accent can even vary wildly from town to town. You can pinpoint the birthplace of someone with just a hundred miles of error by listening to them.
Also, people speak other separate Romance languages, like Catalonian, Galician, Aranese and even one language which origin is completely unknown (Basque). I'm not trying to ridiculize you, just trying to prove my point: there's not a lot of accents in the USA when you understand how other places work.

>>57163629
>there's a glass broken on the floor
>the glass was previously on a table
>therefore, the only reason the glass is broken is because it was on the table

That's the kind of reasoning you just used. Accents are a complex matter, I while what you said is true, you were speaking to others like you're the only bearer of truth.
>>
>>57163867

>number of periods in that post
>zero

I don't think you have any grounds to post in a thread about language because you write like a 12 year old girl.
>>
File: 1332163852237.gif (164 KB, 100x100) Image search: [Google]
1332163852237.gif
164 KB, 100x100
>>57163957
>when you understand how other places work.

>Spain
>work

I believed your post up until that sentence.
>>
>>57163988
I was playing Fifa you fucking idiot, I don't give a shit
Why are you so fucking obsessed?

OH M8 YOU DIDN'T CAPITALISE WHILE GREENTEXTING, YOU HAVE NO GROUNDS TO ARGUE
>>
File: like i give a fuck.gif (2 MB, 250x250) Image search: [Google]
like i give a fuck.gif
2 MB, 250x250
>>57164077
>I was playing Fifa you fucking idiot, I don't give a shit

>FIFA

I rest my case. Nobody cares what you say, goyim
>>
>>57164041
>Using a rhetorical fallacy to avoid a debate

Should've expected that from an Ameridumb
>>
>>57162049
Based Philippines
You're gonna vote that reannexation presidential candidate into office this year, r-right?
>>
File: despoil bullion.gif (493 KB, 500x300) Image search: [Google]
despoil bullion.gif
493 KB, 500x300
>>57164247

>implying I'm the same American

Joke's on you, you unemployed Moor, I have no responsibility to entertain your delusions.

Enjoy your drive-by
>>
>>57164162
nice try
keep talking like a retard, hillbilly
>"but I'm from New England, we're basically European"
lmao

or even better, you go full
CHI

or KANGZ and shit, anyway, your version of english is shit, come to terms with it
>>
File: fatmurricans.jpg (98 KB, 478x489) Image search: [Google]
fatmurricans.jpg
98 KB, 478x489
>>57164328
Enjoy your money, I'm happy having a quality of life superior to yours. Also, enjoy having niggers and getting shot while you cry yourself to sleep everything mumbling 'm-muh freedom'.
>>
File: 4db[1].jpg (37 KB, 499x499) Image search: [Google]
4db[1].jpg
37 KB, 499x499
>>57164430
Why are you so sad and bitter? My accent connotes global dominance and cultural superiority. I'm not ashamed of it and I never will be. I hope you find peace in your life, angry man
>>
File: superlativelaugh.jpg (331 KB, 517x768) Image search: [Google]
superlativelaugh.jpg
331 KB, 517x768
>>57164575
*every night

>>57164579
>My accent connotes global dominance and cultural superiority
>cultural superiority
>cultural

Thanks for the kek, I needed it
>>
File: Putin (joy).jpg (99 KB, 500x334) Image search: [Google]
Putin (joy).jpg
99 KB, 500x334
>this American embarrassing Spain and Germany with his superior knowledge of sociolinguistics
Loving it. Trying picking up a book sometime, peasants, maybe you'll get to attend an elite international university like us
>>
>>57164700
You're gonna need more than a circlejerk to delude yourself into believing that you faggots can embarrass anyone when it comes to culture :^)

Also, don't forget to tip your elite international university when you're done giving your life savings to David Solomon Shekelberg.
>>
>>57164817
But you're consuming American culture just by speaking to me in American English through 4chan, an American website. Your entire life revolves around American culture; it's in your television, on your radio, in your movies, on your internet, on your news, in your politics, it's in your very thought process...

You love American culture, my friend. You love it more than you love bullfighting or Pablo Picasso. Stop fighting it and accept your love for your mighty American god-kings.
>>
>>57164247
>looking for real debates on 4chan instead memes and shitposts
That's adorable, anon.
>>
>>57162511
Are you fucking retarded? Do you not know what it means to have an accent?

God, Yuros are so fucking annoying sometimes
>>
>Spain
>talking shit to anyone
Wew
>>
>>57165227
I don't distinguish American English from Correct English, I just use English words that I know may be comprehensible to everyone :^)

Also, I don't watch TV nor listen to the radio, I watch mainly European cinema because Hollywood's shit, and I visit websites from all over the world. What makes you think my life is so centralized around your nigger ridden country, which doesn't even have a culture per se?
>>
>>57164579
Shuts Germans up every time.

Germans are like the Arabs of Europe: they always run their mouths but in the end, they only respect power.
>>
Americans can't handle the bants. I'm sorry for the guy chimping out.

Fun fact though: if you use nasal vowels while speaking RP English, you'll sound like a Frenchman speaking English.
>>
File: Wanker.gif (118 KB, 607x455) Image search: [Google]
Wanker.gif
118 KB, 607x455
>>57161986
>>anyone who has studied it for a while can manage to use it fairly well

Then why do the Japanese struggle to form a coherent sentence?
>>
>>57162729
its based off other things, there are 4 (North, South, Whatever you want to call the hick one you find in Appalachia, West)
>>
>>57161986
There is a distinct difference between native English speakers and retards like you who believe they speak it better.
>>
>>57164263
If Philippines is annexed by America, and I'm Filipino, would that make me American?
>>
>>57167275
no it just makes you the average canadian
>>
>>57165459
>I don't watch TV
>his OP is literally a screenshot from an American television show he loves
fuck off, chicano
>>
File: 1374952011089.gif (29 KB, 482x800) Image search: [Google]
1374952011089.gif
29 KB, 482x800
ITT: Fellow Americans getting butthurt.
>>
>>57167509
>>57166184
They won't like you even if you act like a cuck, you know
>>
>>57167593
Sorry you get triggered so easily.
>>
>>57167647
It's still not working
>>
>>57167673
The Mexicans or the niggers?
>>
>americans think they sound different from canadians
>>
>>57165484
>arabs only respect power
>>
That's alright. Don't be so mad about being like a tit on a boar hog anon, sit down and i'll get you a coke. Do y'all want Dr. Pepper or Pepsi?
>>
>>57167593
It's not cuckoldry to point out a chimp out.
>>
File: 1393535887820.jpg (73 KB, 606x601) Image search: [Google]
1393535887820.jpg
73 KB, 606x601
>>57162511
>Americans go on about "canadian accents" when in actuality, they just pronounce a handful of sounds differently

that is what an accent is... if it is anything more than that, it is called a different language, hence, why we speak american
>>
File: 1451234489126.jpg (98 KB, 960x948) Image search: [Google]
1451234489126.jpg
98 KB, 960x948
>>57162511
>but every single american accent sounds like a fucking farmer's accent

>Being a farmer is bad

t. Kevin von Kreuzberg, a boy who survived 19 years without food
>>
>>57166750
Nips don't even use roman alphabet and proper english pronunciation to study and have zero willpower on learning other languages because muh hugbox country.
They have this shitty obsession with their kana pronunciation and their government think they're doing a fucking good job on teaching English.

eg.
Your regular nips can't differentiate "First" and "Fast" since muh pronunciation
>>
>>57163957
>That's the kind of reasoning you just used.

Not what he used, it's what a professor on language at Cambridge used. I would gander that a well-educated Brit would know more about his own accent and country than a NEET Spaniard.
>>
>>57163496
I do that.....

[spoiler]t. backwoods Kenfuckian[/spoiler]
>>
File: 1418241100974.jpg (27 KB, 600x750) Image search: [Google]
1418241100974.jpg
27 KB, 600x750
>Hello yes I do consider myself quite the expert on the English language but I'm Spanish
>>
File: Karta slovenskih narečij ENG.jpg (2 MB, 3000x2120) Image search: [Google]
Karta slovenskih narečij ENG.jpg
2 MB, 3000x2120
>>57168156
No, a bigger category from an accent is a dialect. Otherwise, we would be speaking a shitload of languages.
>>
File: 1458262947933.png (445 KB, 650x650) Image search: [Google]
1458262947933.png
445 KB, 650x650
>>57169047
Wat ar iou talken abaut ajajajajajja iu fakin geeri. Go bak tu ior cantri iu fakin paki
>>
OP gets cranky without siesta.
>>
>>57168156
A dialect is when they use the lanuage differently, like how black people go "I be flyin it" instead of "I am flying" and hicks go "Im a gemme a coke" instead of "I'm going to get a soda"

we have 4 dialects in America

accent is just pronunciation differences.
>>
>>57172573
Wow how complex
>>
>>57172665
Those are just examples, not the only differences troll
>>
>>57172727
What dialect do you speak?
>>
>>57173461
I live in the North, so I speak the Northern dialect I guess
My accent is Hudson Valley/Western New England (its called by both names but the former makes more sense because it states the geographical extent and its not actually related to the New England accent)

All Americans type and write more or less the same due to being forced to do so, so you won't be able to figure out region by how they type.
>>
>>57173959
Well dialects aren't really something to be writing in, that's what the literary language is for.

What are some words or terms that are exclusive to the area where you live?
>>
>>57174034
idk I'm pretty young so I've never really gone outside the Northeast and heard what others. According to what I've been told sneakers and soda is but I doubt it. people I've talked to in New England use the words rotary to describe roundabouts and supper for dinner among others (read: many more), but I can't exactly point to some words that i've only heard used in my area because I've never thought about it.
>>
File: 911.gif (3 MB, 200x150) Image search: [Google]
911.gif
3 MB, 200x150
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DZ2wRSzQ2ws

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aEYU9GwaxdY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AIZgw09CG9E

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mWgyIbIjVnc

>fatmerishits are so unironically fat and retarded that they literally believe these pathetic """""accents""""" aren't all virtually identical

Just laugh. Point and laugh.
>>
>>57174200
Those "accent tags" are pretty funny. I watched a few and they were supposedly from different parts of the USA, but they all sounded the same.

They speak a very nice dialect on Tangier Island, though.
>>
>>57174322
our accents aren't very developed because english hasn't been spoken here for an extremely long time, however that is changing rapidly, in order to here something that truly sounds very different you need to go 200+ miles (~320 km) and even further when you go more out west.
>>
>>57174475
Kek, I can't really comprehend that. You go 200 miles in Slovene-speaking area (>>57171729) and it's like a completely new language.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=03iwAY4KlIU

Along with the Tangier Island dialect, I like Appalachian, too. This is a real nice dialect.
>>
>>57174773
Those are probably the most distinct ones. Most accents are pretty slight but they are growing further apart due to things like the northern cities vowel shift (happening in highlighted area, specifically where the colored box-shits are) where people's speech is getting really weird, creating pretty distinct accents.
>>
>>57174200

The Southern California one is weird. She's trying to sound like that. It isn't natural.
>>
>>57174978
>vowel shift
So what exactly does that mean, that vowels change so words are pronounced in different ways? I've heard the terms several times but I never found a good explanation and examples.
>>
File: chart.png (25 KB, 570x338) Image search: [Google]
chart.png
25 KB, 570x338
>>57175811
the way vowels are said shifts, changes how they sound and can drastically change pronunciation

if you wanted to show it in a picture, this is what the shift looks like, although I am not familiar with exactly how this chart works.
>>
>>57176073
The chart shows the positions of the mouth and tongue when pronouncing a vowel. The best way to imagine how it works is if you know that for regular English, i is in the top left and a is in the bottom left. Now try pronouncing i (that's [y] or ee) and a and see how the position of your mouth changes.
I don't know how to read the chart with the changes that you posted, though.
Thread replies: 79
Thread images: 21

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.