[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hi /int/ Over the past few months I've gotten interested
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /int/ - International

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 3
File: download.png (13 KB, 259x194) Image search: [Google]
download.png
13 KB, 259x194
Hi /int/

Over the past few months I've gotten interested in learning Russian. I speak English, Farsi, and some Azeri.

My question is, how hard is Russian? What's the best way to start? What's the hardest part about it?

Thanks!
>>
bekhi saght, misle kerrum da koone madaret
>>
>how hard is Russian?
Very.
>What's the best way to start?
Abandoning the idea.
>What's the hardest part about it?
Understanding that you are a moron, who wants to learn a useless language.
You are welcome.
>>
bekhi saght, misle kerrum da koone madaret
>>
-think about how useful the language will become in your life
-find someone to speak it with on a semi-daily basis

If you don't have a good reason to be learning it you'll lose interest quite quickly. If you don't have anyone to speak it with and practice you won't get very far.

If you still want to learn my advice would be to:
-Learn the alphabet first; some letters are the same as in English, some sound different but look the same, a lot are based off of Greek letters (Fi, Pi, "deh" from delta etc, etc), and some are Cyrillic so you'll just have to commit to memory
-Next figure out how vowels work in words, 'e' in Russian is kind of fucked and depending on the word can be "ei" similar to English or more commonly "ye", sounds change due to the stress of the vowels (I still don't understand how it works)
-Next you need to start committing shit to memory. Start learning common phrases; directions, greeting, etc, etc
-Then start watching Russian media (with subtitles) and reading Russian literature, just burry yourself in the culture. Cartoons, movies, news, etc
-By this point you should be pretty confident and start talking to someone who know Russian and is willing to help you out if you haven't already

But as has been said already unless you have a specific NEED to learn Russian it's kind of pointless
>>
>>57093930
People learn extinct languages all the time for no apparent reason. I want to study Russian because I'm simply interested it in. Thanks for the use only legitimate response in this thread.

It's obvious this board is pol 2.0 and just as cancerous.
>>
File: file.jpg (1 MB, 2560x1711) Image search: [Google]
file.jpg
1 MB, 2560x1711
>>57093553
> native language of qts
> useless
>>
>>57094456
Yeah, I came here because I wanted to learn a language and was sort of disappointed to how much of a meme the whole board is, but you get to learn a bit about the outside world regardless so it's kind of nice.

In saying that Russian is pointless I guess it's not entirely true.

If you take all the Asian/Arabic languages out of the equation Russian is like the 4th most spoken in the world; behind (in order) English, Spanish, French (see http://how-to-learn-any-language.com/e/languages/index.html).

If you're planning to travel around Russia it is obviously a huge bonus to speak Russian and from what I've heard will give you quite a bit of respect amongst the Russians who are usually hesitant to trust Westerners.

And now some stuff taken from the wiki:
-Russian is an official language of Russia, Belarus, Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan as well as the UN. It is widely understood in the Ukraine, Belarus, Uzbekistan, Azerbaidjan, Turkmenistan, Moldavia and Tadjikistan.
-Many people in Eastern Europe (Latvia, Estonia, Lithuania, Hungary, Poland, Slovakia, Czech Republic, east Germany) understand Russian, but it is generally perceived as the language of the former oppressor and and it is not generally positive to be classified as Russian-speaking.

So in terms of 'bang for your buck' you certainly get a lot of areas you can (or COULD) speak Russian if you had to so it would come in quite handy.

I've convinced myself to start trying to learn Russian again now, great. Here's what I've been using so far by the way... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qSPFB4D01Lk&list=PL62077C49F5A58BEE (some old Russian who's kind of funny and teaches you about a bit of culture/the roots of the language as well as the basics)

Good luck!

>>57094745
Also, this. I'm sure a Russian qt will be 10x more interested in you if you can speak Russian.
>>
File: 1456342679773.png (620 KB, 599x902) Image search: [Google]
1456342679773.png
620 KB, 599x902
>>57094456
Nigga there's plenty of fine language learning threads that happen on here, damn all you people who get the short end of the stick and blame the entire board being shit. Maybe your thread got less replies than others so far, not a big deal you can always try again later. This board isn't as fast as most people think.
>>
>>57095009
I'm pretty new so haven't experienced that as of yet but I'll keep looking around for something good then if you say.

/int/ > /pol/ by a long shot as well, it's actually possible to have a decent discussion sometimes around here

>decent discussion
>Australian
:DDDDDDDD
>>
>>57093424
"and some Azeri"
Were you high when you learned or something..?
>>
>>57093424
How many Canadians are fucking immigrants? I swear to God every Canadian is either a slavshit or Persian diaspora
>>
>>57093424
>What's the best way to start?
Try Duolingo and when you are lost in certain parts, use some other websites that teach you grammar in greater detail as a reference.
>>
>>57098648
It's my "mother tongue" but I was born and raised in Iran.
>>57094902
Thanks lad
>>57098742
Shut the fuck up. How pathetic is your life to take a moment to derail a serious thread? Also, you're American, you should keep your mouth shut. Your country is filled with millions more foreigners than Canada.
>>
>>57098742
literally every new worlder is a fucking immigrant though
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.