[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Are the Alsatians a separate heritage/culture/people from the
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /int/ - International

Thread replies: 52
Thread images: 5
File: vignoble_couronne_dor.jpg (157 KB, 1000x569) Image search: [Google]
vignoble_couronne_dor.jpg
157 KB, 1000x569
Are the Alsatians a separate heritage/culture/people from the rest of France?
>>
>>57045645
No, they are as French as Karl der Grosse.
>>
>>57045645
some like to think so, as some retarded bretons or corses do, but in the end they still suck on France's tits for welfare and don't do shit
>>
>>57045828
So what should I say when asked about muh heritage? My great great grandfather was in the Franco-Prussian War (on the French side, spoke French at home growing up, etc.) but immigrated to the US after the war and just told people he was German because he was too embarrassed.
>>
>>57045920
You should think of yourself as American and stop bothering with your shit
>>
File: Kaysersberg_Alsace + vignes.jpg (333 KB, 1835x800) Image search: [Google]
Kaysersberg_Alsace + vignes.jpg
333 KB, 1835x800
>>57045645
They are a region with a strong identity but don't tell them they're Germans it's more complicated than that
>>
>>57045920
who cares about what your great great grandfather did or did not do
by this logic your ancestor was an australopithecus living in Africa so you're of african heritage not Alsacian
so, basically, >>57045968
>>
>>57045645
>>57046114
Well it looks barely different from here (I'm ~100km to the north) desu
I think culturally we are more similar to each other than they are to Mediterranean Graeco-Hispano-Latins of PACA or we are to crypto-Slavic Easterners
>>
>>57046279
>your ancestor was an australopithecus living in Africa so you're of African heritage

Wait, wait
HOL UP
>>
They like to act like muh special snowflakes. While it's rightful french clay alsacians have cuck special snowflake legislation they don't deserve. Their church isn't even separated from the government, any real frenchmen would and should be disgusted by this that goes directly against the ideals of the republic
>>
>>57046342
And people say black people never did anything when they fucking conquered the world
>>
>>57046338
well, that's France for you, a patchwork of northern and southern influences and cultures that was really unified only around XIXth century when it was forbidden to speak regional languages at school
as always politicians ruined this and are now promoting diversity as usual and spend money on keeping the very irrelevant languages they rightfully wanted dead two centuries ago alive
>>
>>57046338
Yeah culturaly it's closer to Germany but that doesn't mean it's just "a stolen German region" as some say
As far as I know people are proud to be Alsacian without claiming themselves as Germans
>>
>>57046625
Meh I don't claim that, just saying there's still a somewhat smooth transition going on (no sudden change on the border), despite 1200 years of political and 2000 years of linguistic separation
>>
>>57046385
>Their church isn't even separated from the government

That's 3rd world tier. Not even us have that policy and people here are very religious
>>
Nope but bretons are
>>
>>57046798
>>57046385
>church not separated
Does that mean only something like here where you have to pay church tax (like €50 per year or so) unless you leave, or does the church actually have a say in legislature?
>>
File: 1387904157916.png (140 KB, 958x881) Image search: [Google]
1387904157916.png
140 KB, 958x881
We should have force them to take french lastnames desu
>>
>>57046279
Of course the French don't understand having pride in your heritage
>>
>>57046798
I have two Portuguese friends and neither are religious (one is 20, the other 17), and their parents are basically non practicing christians who just had them baptized and then called it a day. Though one of them said she and her family went to Fátima on saturday.
>>
>>57046934
Unsure about the details but priests receive their salary from the government
I don't think they have actual say in the legislature directly but considering that's where they get their money from they surely have interest and pressures
>>
>>57046955
>that Italian and Spanish in Corsica and "French Catalonia"
Wew I thought you would've converted them too much earlier as they've been under your control for many centuries
>>
>>57046974
immigrants should be ashamed of themselves and don't talk about their heritage. They either migrated due to greed or cowardice.
>>
>>57047009
I guess it's like here then where it's handled via said church tax. But you are free to leave from church anytime and then don't have to pay it any more
>>
>>57046955
bretagne is reddit
>>
>>57047045
Last names remain even after centuries lad
>>
>>57046955
>Petit

parisian manlets btfo
>>
>>57047252
the only thing petit about me is my name
>>
>>57047216
I know Corsica has historically always been Italian-ish, but was Spanish even ever a majority language in that other region though?
>>
>>57047311
Kek reminds me of one of my teachers in elementary school named "Klein", she was about 1.80m
>>
>>57047336
those catalan names are normal. catalonia just like basque country is divided between france and spain. Spaniards migrated a LOT in the south, and most of them have the same name so they left a mark.
>>
>>57047336
Catalan was, we gained that part out of nowhere (meaning it wasn't historically French or anything) so Catalan names are pretty common even today
But there's also the big wave of immigration from Spain we got because of Franco, a lot of them settles in the south I know tons of people (French now, have been for generations) with Spanish last names and I live higher than French Catalonia
>>
>>57047311
Well at least it's not Le Petit
>>
>>57046955
Why so many corsicans called new house
>>
>>57046955
france looks like a melt pot desu. what is the best region tho? i heard paris isnt as bad as people say
>>
>>57046279
>your ancestor was an australopithecus living in Africa
No.
Just to be pedantic, Hominini had three different subtribes; Panina, Australopithecina and Hominina. While we are related to australopithecines just as we're related to chimps, we aren't descended from them.
Humans are distant second cousins of australopithecines, not grandchildren.
>>
>>57047074
Or love :3
>>
>>57048359
t-true :3
>>
>>57045645
Oh boy oh boy. A thread for me.

While I cannot say yes nor no nor maybe either.
>>
>>57045681
OK French enough for the purpose
>>
>>57045645
We are not tolerated to be perplexed, perplexing, complicated or enigmatic. We are instructed to 'just be French' like everybody else or even, more than everybody else.

Here I will reformulate your sentence.
'Alsatians are a together heritage/culture people from the rest of France.'
>>
>>57047074
Don't forget disgust, Frenchie.
>>
>>57045645
France consists of many different ethnic groups.

Alsatians (like other northern French people) are a Germanic people, unique in that they still speak a Germanic language (Low Alemannic, like parts of Southern Germany and Switzerland), and their culture obviously shares a lot with their Germanic "cousins" to the East.

That said, IIRC, they didn't want to be annexed by the German Empire, and in WWI, they largely joined the German Navy to avoid fighting the French on land.

I think they consider themselves "Alsatian" first and foremost. Not necessarily any more "German" than the Dutch are.
>>
>>57052459
>I think they consider themselves "Alsatian" first and foremost

you got it
>>
>>57052517
I half of wish I could tell you the story about the other Alsatian that was a US soldier and was marched out to a field in the US and shot, but I am not sure I could.

Ah what a teasepost.
>>
they're germans, that's what they teach us in school
>>
>>57052795
They're German-ic.

"Germans" are Germanic people who belong to that particular political union.
>>
>>57047311
>t. pierre le petit saucisse
>>
>>57052743
go to bed, you're drunk
>>
they don't want to have anything to do with germans anymore
>>
The land was sufficiently German enough that France shouldn't have given a shit about it being taken.
>>
>>57052929
A fairenough reply and I hope I do in fact go to bed.
Not drinking any type of hooch but one can get drunk on ideas for example.
Thread replies: 52
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.