[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>This triggers the Spaniard
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /int/ - International

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 3
File: Pronunciación Inglesa.jpg (906 KB, 1368x1824) Image search: [Google]
Pronunciación Inglesa.jpg
906 KB, 1368x1824
>This triggers the Spaniard
>>
>father, ago
>man, cat
>get, bed
>hot, wash
Literally who on this planet pronounces these vowels similar?
>>
File: 1458153120334.png (175 KB, 1024x1762) Image search: [Google]
1458153120334.png
175 KB, 1024x1762
>>56946480
Holy fuck that is beyond cringe to learn english like that.
>>
>>56947362
lotsa french people speak english like this
>>
>>56947362
All of those vowels are pronounced the same, unless you pronounce the "er" in "father" stressed, in which it would be "ɜː(r)". In this dictionary they've transcribed "ɜː" as "əː", probably out of laziness. They're short "u" is also meant to be "ʊ", including in the diphthongs, and "əʊ" is more often pronounced as "oʊ" in American English.
>>
Bikos faiv vawels ar mor zen inaf
>>
>>56947575
Did you just ignore the pronunciation of vowels when you learnt it?
>>
>>56946480
where can i learn australian?
>>
>>56948764
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Australian_English_phonology
>>
>>56948747
At primary school they didnt put much effort into pronunctiation. These days I think english classes are way better than they used to be.

I got to have a better pronunctiation by listening and speaking enlish, not by reading "how it's done".
>>
>>56949106
>Reading is for faggots
>>
>>56948703
>hot, wash
>man, cat
Even these you pronounce the same?

Also the "father" question had to do with the "a", not the "er". We say the a the same as the Swedish å, same as in "awful". For "ago", it's an "uh" sound, as in "bum".
>>
>>56953993
It is. I learned English the real way, not like some little cuck reading books.
>>
>>56955810
>Also the "father" question had to do with the "a", not the "er".
The e was highlighted. The pronunciation guide here is obviously non-rhotic.

As for everything else, it's actually impossible to design a universal phonetic alphabet for English because vowels vary so radically between dialects. In some places fairy and ferry are homophones. Same for pen and pin.
>>
>>56955810
>>56955810
>Also the "father" question had to do with the "a", not the "er"
In the dictionary it has the "er" italicised since it's for the schwa sound rather than the long "a".
>For "ago", it's an "uh" sound, as in "bum"
The "uh" is the schwa sound, which is different to the "u" in "bum".
>We say the a the same as the Swedish å, same as in "awful"
Are you a New Yorker?
>>
File: English_vowels_RP_AE.png (18 KB, 635x179) Image search: [Google]
English_vowels_RP_AE.png
18 KB, 635x179
>>56956205
>As for everything else, it's actually impossible to design a universal phonetic alphabet for English because vowels vary so radically between dialects.
The way they work around this is to set one dialect as the base dialect (almost always RP or General American) and have all other dialects compared relative to the base. The sounds in the base dialect are called "diaphonemes". Pic related.
>>
>>56955810
>hot, wash
>man, cat
Both of those are the same for me.
>>
>>56956641
I know about this. The issue is that even RP and General American differ enough to make an actual universal spelling impossible.
That's why vowels are labeled by words they appear in, as in that pic.
I brought it up because anon seemed confused by things differing from his dialect when the guide is clearly non-rhotic, probably RP.
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.