[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
A question for americans. How many languages can an average american
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /int/ - International

Thread replies: 54
Thread images: 10
File: cvbn.jpg (62 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
cvbn.jpg
62 KB, 800x600
A question for americans. How many languages can an average american speak? I'd imagine at least two (spanish,english)?
>>
File: frog.png (11 KB, 420x420) Image search: [Google]
frog.png
11 KB, 420x420
>>56903321
>I'd imagine at least two
>>
File: Cherokee.jpg (29 KB, 480x350) Image search: [Google]
Cherokee.jpg
29 KB, 480x350
The vast majority of non Hispanics can't speak Spanish past a high school level, if that. Most of our bilingual people are immigrants who speak English + their mother tongue, and some natives. Pic related, a stop sign in Cherokee.
>>
>>56903321
LOL. Just English unless they are an immigrant or have immigrant parents.

The average college student in America can probably speak English and some Spanish.
>>
I speak Midwestern American, can understand Eastern American, Western American, and a little bit of Southern American. So that's like six.
>>
File: jerry-seinfeld-3[1].jpg (48 KB, 900x750) Image search: [Google]
jerry-seinfeld-3[1].jpg
48 KB, 900x750
>>56903321
>>
Most Americans speak English and a bit of Spanish (they're rarely fluent in Spanish).
We're a huge country, the only foreigners the average American will interact with often are Canadians and on top of that English is pretty much the lingua franca. Learning another language isn't very useful for us.
>>
File: frodo.gif (2 MB, 300x181) Image search: [Google]
frodo.gif
2 MB, 300x181
>>56903321
>>
>>56903321

One.

Everyone studies a second language in high school or college but most people never achieve any level of fluency.
>>
File: 1458139452340.png (104 KB, 420x288) Image search: [Google]
1458139452340.png
104 KB, 420x288
Wow are you guys really actually studying Spanish? I would never my life study Arabic, I would just feel like I was cucked every time i opened a text book of said language
>>
>>56903321
if you count ebonics then 2 maybe 3 for internet slang.
>>
>>56903437
>the only foreigners the average American will interact with often are Canadians

uw0tm8?

Don't forget about us over here in the south west, amigo. I talk to Mexicans every single day of my life, and have probably met like 3 Canadians ever.
>>
>>56903378
If your so clever with universities and such, how come most of you nation consists of bunch of uneducated oafs?

And you still beat Canada with an ease.
>>
File: ease-in.jpg (17 KB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
ease-in.jpg
17 KB, 400x400
>>56903522
>with an ease
>>
>>56903378
I'm Hispanic and speak better English than the rednecks in my town. It hurts
>>
>>56903482
Most people get a choice in high school to study French, Spanish or depending on where you are like German or Latin. Maybe Japanese or Mandarin if you go to a good school. Most people take Spanish cause it's a meme class and they need the credits then drop after a year
>>
>>56903522
Because most nations have misconception of Americans due to the dumbest being the loudest.
>>
>>56903321
Most non-Hispanic Americans only speak English. There's literally no need to learn any other language. Everyone speaks English for hundreds of miles in any given direction. When we go to non-English-speaking countries, most of the people there speak English as a second language. We are on an international imageboard and, surprise, we are all using English as a common language in order to communicate. Most schools and universities require a couple years of studying another language, but once the requirement is met, there is no incentive continue learning it, so most forget.
>>
>>56903554
Oh, I see your familiar with vectors. In which subject are you taking you masters?
>>
>>56903321
About half of Americans are fluent in English. A handful can speak two languages. The rest mostly use scraps of English, accompanied by grunts and other noises.
>>
>>56903562
White trash and blacks are trying to create their own languages.
>>
Bush's no child left behind pushed a lot of dumb fucks through school.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/No_Child_Left_Behind_Act
>>
File: 1451816011098.jpg (13 KB, 246x232) Image search: [Google]
1451816011098.jpg
13 KB, 246x232
>>56903588
>tfw went to a good public school and took Mandarin for three years
>tfw don't remember anything now besides "my name is ..." Or "happy birthday!"
>>
>>56903662
I work at a convenience store and I cannot stress that enough. It's like speaking to a child. Especially the blacks
>>
>>56903634
I bet you can't even speak french, can you even skate backwards?
>>
>>56903710
ay senpai le me get som newports this molt and several scratch offs, ight 5
>>
I piss out of my ass hole so what do you think?
>>
>>56903750
Hope you don't try to use EBT for a handful of candy and chips. I'll fucking slap you
>>
>>56903720
>wanting to convenience French Canadians even an iota

Fuck them. I'll learn every language first before I learn French.
>>
>>56903321
>at least two

Lmao
>>
>>56903803
Come on my canuk friend. Do you not want to speak French with some frog eating baguette lovers?
>>
Two, English and Russian
t. Not an actual American
>>
>>56903482
yeah we do study spanish, mostly bc of the invasion of our latin and south american brethren over the past 30 years. if i could do it over i'd take manardin but my school didnt offer that shit, just french and german
>>
Wouldn't it be super easy to learn in place such as west-cost, since most people speak spanish anyway? C'mon americans.
>>
File: image.jpg (42 KB, 512x384) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
42 KB, 512x384
>want to learn Russian or German
>live in commiefornia

Spanish it is then...
>>
>>56903801
lol hear bout the dumbass who stole a car after trying to buy it with a EBT card
>>
>>56904001
A-Are you kidding me? We need to revise the EBT system. Please.
>>
>>56903999
Learn it online. It shouldn't be too hard to find a Russian to practice with.
>>
>>56903604
Being born in the current lingua franca family must have it' perk's, but do you ever feel like you would have been better off with some slighly more ''obscure'' language.?
>>
>>56903321
Only one: American.
>>
I refuse to believe it's so hard, I've never met any European in my travels who can't at least speak three languages on some degree. For Anglos, two languages is granted, but just english? Fuck...
>>
>>56904206
yes
>>
>>56904206
all the time, yes. Which is why I enjoy learning languages on my own.
>>
>>56904206
Yes, definitely. Hispanic and Chinese-Americans are so lucky to have been brought up in bilingual households. I even know a few people who were born in other countries and moved to the States when they were very young, so they're perfectly fluent in English, but also learned Russian or Italian from their parents.
>>
File: 1458521641341.png (50 KB, 840x290) Image search: [Google]
1458521641341.png
50 KB, 840x290
>>56904206
I work with a Swiss expat who is fluent in English, German, French, Italian, and a bunch of obscure qt Swiss dialects of each and an Indian who knows English, Hindi, Tamil, and two other mutually unintelligible Indian languages. I feel so inadequate around them I want to fucking kill myself.
>>
>>56903686
I went to an after school mandarin program on Fridays for ten years. I stopped studying and it's slipping away.

Studied french in a classroom for five years and I'm decent.

Currently studying Kazakh.

In all languages i've studied, I can remember grammar structures decently but off-the-cuff fluency has always eluded me, and my listening comprehension has always been sub-par.

I think I'll likely let French and Kazakh slip away as well, but the process of learning is always exciting.

I spend much of my time occupied with other topics, so languages aren't really my focus.

Languages aren't emphasized in early U.S. schooling, and I don't see why they should be. I think optional language programs for youths should be available to get the benefits of younger-age language studying.
>>
Brits can't speak any additional languages either. Don't bully us plx
>>
English
That's it

Literally nobody besides Mexicans are bilingual
>>
>>56903321
I'm a chicano who can speak English, Spanish, and a very very VERY basic level of German. I also know ASL.
>>
>>56903562
Or perhaps it can be said that you can't speak their English very well.

Spanish isn't good Latin.
>>
>>56905603
Oh god I know
The worst is when you go to some shitty chinese place to stuff your fat fuck useless face with more junk, and you see the like 5 year old owner's kids there switching between english and chinese flawlessly
>>
>>56903321
we all learn a few years of a foreign language in school, but unless we aren't 1st-2nd generation immigrants near the border, we all forget it because english is all that's needed
>>
>>56903686
我的名字是。。。-生日快乐!
>>
I know English and Spanish. I took 5 years of French and half a semester of German. I remember more German than French.
Thread replies: 54
Thread images: 10

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.