[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How do student loans work in Canada and Australia? You never
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /int/ - International

Thread replies: 47
Thread images: 4
File: tumblr_n9yilxNQZh1trl666o1_1280.jpg (102 KB, 736x537) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_n9yilxNQZh1trl666o1_1280.jpg
102 KB, 736x537
How do student loans work in Canada and Australia?

You never hear about them having student loan problems.
>>
Do we have a new dedicated cuck poster?
>>
cause they're interest free and we only pay a percentage if we earn over $54k
>>
>>56761230
Only for citizens, right?
>>
>>56761169
delet this
>>
>>56761261
Nah mate we fund everyone in the world who just asks us to be a student.
>>
>>56761169
Tuition fees are regulated in Australia. This means that the prices for higher education are much lower
>>
>>56761169
The government provides a loan that covers roughly 1/3 of the cost of the degree. The remaining 2/3 are covered by the government.

The 1/3 we owe, is a Higher Education Contribution Scheme (HECS), where we don't start paying it back until our income reaches a certain threshold. The threshold atm is iat $54k, but there are plans to lower it to $49k.

The loan itself doesn't attract interest, but it is indexed against inflation. So it increases from year to year.
>>
>>56761287
pretty sure foreigners pay out the ass here, not sure if they can apply for our loans either.

unis tend to like foreigners because they have to pay more.
>>
>>56761720
Its the same in Australia. We get a lot of Asians
>>
In Australia we are all uneducated and beat up our wives.

Only Asians go to uni the ozzys drop out of school in grade 2 and do a trade...

That's why there isn't a problem with student loans in straya.
>>
>>56761780
Rich Asians sending their kids abroad to study.

I'm pretty sure they care about showing off their children more than their careers, educations goals or happiness.
>>
>>56761287
That's not true.

Pay about 5x more to study and they actually have to do it in large upfront payments.

You must live in rural hick town.
>>
>>56761844
Fuck me you dense cunt if you can't see that was sarcasm off yourself now
>>
my degree costs about $200,000 over four years and requires an upfront payment of about 50k a year for 4yrs

as i am an australian citizen who was able to secure a government funded spot, the gov simply pays it for me and i am expected to pay 10k a year to the gov who covers the rest (and expects to make it back from me in the future through taxes....). The gov being so generous allows it to go to hecs like >>56761677 said. I simply accumulated about 40k of debt and pay it off when i reach a certain threshold of income, the more i make the higher a percentage they expect back. math phd 300k starting would naturally pay more back than lab tech jack on 50k.

>>56761720
if you are a foreigner the degree costs the same but there is no gov help for you so foreigners are paying about 50k upfront every year, excluding costs of living/books/etc etc

>>56761807
the unis are loving it though, imagine getting all that sweet sweet upfront payment, hell i even believe the rumors about uni professors being unable to fail international students.

reached a point where a degree used to be a small % international and the rest australian gov spots to it now being 50% international spots, 50% australian citizen spots. Of the 50% australian citizen spots, half are gov supported and the other half are expected to pay via the same way as international students; 50k a year

there has also been some controversy about the gov wanting to collect hecs debt after death as it has found it could save some money that way. it seems perfectly reasonable that your student debts be settled with your estate like all other debts but for some reason this is causing controversy. everyone is ok with banks coming to take what they own from your estate when you borrow but not when you loan from the gov for that arts degree

why am i even responding to a cuck poster
>>
Is there a corelation between convenient student fees and academic success?
>>
>>56761792
FUCK YE CUNT TRADES CUNT
>>
>>56761720
In general the government spends 2/3 of your tuition costs if you're Canadian. So foreigners end up spending 3* more. It can vary though because some schools just charge them an amount per term regardless of the number of courses they take. Supposedly that and not having work permits is why some asians do 6-7 classes a term. They aren't eligible for student loans. Universities like them, because the government tends to have set funding limits for schools, and limit tuition increases. Foreign students are one of the few ways schools can get around this.

The government spending 2/3 of our tuition and absence of private schools is why we don't have much of a student loan problem. Even if you're in science courses at a top school, you aren't spending more than $1000 a course.

Law and MBA schools are now setting up outside of government funding and have programs that do cost 30-40k a year.
>>
>>56761807
A couple of my mates of a yellow complexion went into that shady "do international student's homework for money" industry after they finished Uni. They seemed to be doing well out of it last I checked in on them.
>>
>>56761947
USA is hardly lower than ours, and unless in state public school, they pay more in tuition.

Canada's stats are a little bullshit. In Quebec you graduate high school when you are younger, and then the government pays for you to get a 2 year degree.
>>
>>56762015
have you been to a uni lately? i met some nice internationals and some who couldnt string together a sentence yet somehow made it to the final year of the degree

theres huge money to be made off people who pay a quater of a million dollars to get a degree. couple of hundred dollars for an essay to ensure you dont fail your several thousand dollar subject? they dont think twice
>>
>>56761947
>asians, anglos and jews are world's smartest
What's new?
>>
File: 1447095209673.png (810 KB, 600x450) Image search: [Google]
1447095209673.png
810 KB, 600x450
>>56762082
>Israel amongst the top
>>
rangeban americucks
>>
>>56762098
As always, sir.
>>
>>56762073
The good money at the moment is marrying yellow brides for citizenship, few mates have done it. Chinese will give you $20k, throw you a lavish wedding with gifts off everyone and even send you away on a honeymoon if the chicks into partying for a week.

Have to constantly message each other for the next 2 years but then usually divorce.
>>
>>56762187
>20k

thats it? not willing to embarrass myself for that much desu, plus 2yrs of texting? holy shit i want 100k minimum
>>
>>56762126
It's charts like these that make me wish we were just annexed by Aus
>>
>>56762250
nah stay seperate mate
>>
>>56761937
>but for some reason this is causing controversy

Changes to HECS (isn't it HELP now?) piss me off because they're trying to alter terms after you've already taken it.

The bank can't just alter your mortgage when it feels like it.
>>
>>56762805
keep everything the same but you have to pay it back even if you die. would you not take out your student loan if you knew your estate would have to pay the rest?

change nothing but that and im fine, any other changes should be for new loans i agree
>>
>tfw I'm in 4th of Electronic Engineering and it hasn't cost me one cent
>>
>>56761169
I go to uoft and I'm on a student loan.
So basically they gave me 10k$ for my first year, but my tuition fee was only about 8k$. Part of the loan they give me per year (maybe around 1k-2k) are grants/bursary (this includes me being a full time student so I get 30% off my tuition fee).
It really depends on the income of the parents and yourself though. I didn't have a job when I was in 1st to the beginning of 4th year so it was fairly higher than what my tuition fee was, almost every year I had around 1k$ extra from the loan. They also ask me if got a driver's license (the one where I have to pay insurance - G2), how many siblings I have and how many of them go to university, all that stuff. They ask about those every year before the semesters start.

I think next year they'd be removing grants for the student loans so that they could use it for the "free tuition" shit. But when I got my taxes done, the guy said that if they removed the grants, they would give larger loans to students. I just don't know how much of it true, but it's fucked up because free tuition on students whose family income is $50k a year means that parents can just "divorce" and the one with the lower income can claim for the child so he/she gets free tuition. This is what the tax guy told me okay, don't quote me on this.
>>
>>56763442
also, after graduating, they give you 6 months interest-free to pay for your student debt.
>>
>>56763442
so like you pay more if you work? why wouldnt people just not work?
>>
>>56761169
Only retards who take out loans for unemployable degrees have trouble with student loans.
>>
>>56762126
>South Africa
what
>>
>>56761169
the government gives you a loan (HECS debt) and then they take a percentage out of your pay if you're earning over a certain amount, and if you haven't payed it off by the time you're a certain age (i think it's 45) they just wipe it clean for you
>>
>>56761947
Not really a good measurement.

A better one would be comparing completion rates between cunts where it's cheap and easy and cunts where it's not.
>>
>>56761937
>my degree costs about $200,000 over four years and requires an upfront payment of about 50k a year for 4yrs

top kek dont go to a fucking private university
>>
>>56764282
usyd

keep reading to see what i really pay though
>>
>>56761169
It used to be that every student got around 150 euro's every month for free, more if you don't live with your parents. Now it's a loan system but there's no interest on the loans.
>>
>>56764160
south africa used to be sick, before niggers took over

now you exist as a warning to the rest of us
>>
>>56764617
>south africa used to be sick, before niggers took over
Yeah I know. I'm surprised about the prizes because I didn't think anyone pre-1994 would've gotten one due to the sanctions. The living ones must all be for humanitarian bullshit.
>>
>>56764392
people only need to do that if they get bad grades in high school. and IMHO you're dumb to actually do it instead of just entering a different course and taking electives from that same degree until you can officially transfer to the other program. u must be rich as fuck IMHO to have actually done that.
>>
>>56765001
im not paying a cent you idiot, im in a hecs spot like every other australian. You undergrad degree costs 3x what you think it does its just the gov pays for most of it and then leaves you with 30k debt to pay off after your 3yrs

the same way ill have to pay 40k after my 4yrs

>take electives from same degree
>diff course
yeah please tell me more about how medical science will help me in a post graduate med degree

>rich as fuck
poor immigrant parents and working
>>
>>56761261
Yes only for citizens.
Thread replies: 47
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.