[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why do Americans make fun of French people so much? Didn't
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /int/ - International

Thread replies: 76
Thread images: 17
File: download.jpg (8 KB, 194x260) Image search: [Google]
download.jpg
8 KB, 194x260
Why do Americans make fun of French people so much? Didn't France help USA gain its independence versus Britain?
>>
So? Does that mean they aren't allowed to make fun of them?
>>
>>56757796
They are perceived as arrogant, shallow posers. The French seem to have lost their balls and turned into a pack of whiners.

Americans are also appalled at what the French will riot over.
>>
>needing help to. achieve independence

LMLAO
>>
>>56757986
This. Additionally it's perceived that the French are morally degenerate even though we're the ones who invented hookup apps. At this point I'm not sure the political left or right here appreciates French classical liberalism either.
>>
france > usa
>>
Iraq
>>
File: Statue de la Liberté.jpg (88 KB, 293x293) Image search: [Google]
Statue de la Liberté.jpg
88 KB, 293x293
They even gave em a fancy statue.
>>
File: john.jpg (134 KB, 750x545) Image search: [Google]
john.jpg
134 KB, 750x545
>>56757796
I always had the perception that French were upscale pretentious assholes who were rude/mean. I mean there are pretentious assholes everywhere but the average American that you would meet on the street is pretty nice.

Actually went to France and the fashion seemed pretty tacky. A lot of track suits and clothes reminiscent of American "urban" culture. Sloven Frenchmen standing around on street corners smoking cigarettes with their prostitute looking girlfriends. Also the cities are filthy even compared to American city standards. And this was just in Southern France. My wife accepts all of this and still wants to go to Paris because she is still brainwashed by the notion that it will be romantic. I keep telling her it will be 10x worse..
>>
>>56758017

against the britbongs, we were hardly industrial.
>>
>>56757796
People like France but don't like the French. I don't know why, and I know a lot of people who say the French they meet are actually welcoming so I don't mind
>>
I don't really care if you hate us (a lot of people don't like or respect us, btw) but HELL, I hope you wankers love baguettes (made with love) !
>>
>>56757986
>They are perceived as arrogant, shallow posers.

sounds just like you americans desu senpai :^)
>>
>>56757796
its only independence not Revolution.
>>
>>56759468
No really that sentiment is really widespread unfortunately. Most people that I know that went to France loved it though.
>>
>>56758397
Everything south of a country is shit if you think about it. Even your country and mine.
>>
>>56758397
Paris is a shithole. Poor filthy dangerous full of ugly miserable people, just living here you can feel how something is deeply wrong with everyone, don't come it's awful
>>
still pissed about not joining us in iraq tbqhfam

>freedom fries
>>
>>56759468
>desu senpai
kill yourself
>>
>>56757796
French culture is basically a byword for refined taste and upper class excess in the United States. Americans like to shit on anything or anybody with pretensions of status and intellectualism, so there you have it, we shit on the French.

But truth be told, I think most Americans secretly love the French. My mom had a French foreign exchange student come stay with her family when she was fifteen and they still send letters to each other. I've visited France a couple times and I didn't think the French people were particularly rude or snobby at all. They really do like wine though
>>
>>56760387
Wasn't most of that butthurt due to uneducated rednecks who listened to a little too much Sean Hannity?
>>
File: image.jpg (229 KB, 1181x1181) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
229 KB, 1181x1181
>>56757796
Relevant
>>
File: 1458500604963.jpg (33 KB, 418x430) Image search: [Google]
1458500604963.jpg
33 KB, 418x430
>>56762599

This is because of you and your ability to dominate weak people that Culture of Whining from minorities come from and we have immigration
>>
>>56760387
but we were right! if you listened to us (see how arrogant i am) you shouldn't have lost so many lives and spent so much money for muh no benefits
>>
My dad always hated the french because when he was in the navy, the only bar that refused to serve him (including middle eastern countries in the 1980s) was a french bar, because he was american.
>>
File: 1419193825403.gif (992 KB, 400x208) Image search: [Google]
1419193825403.gif
992 KB, 400x208
>>56767719
Racism is everywhere
>>
File: 1424827524273.jpg (80 KB, 422x600) Image search: [Google]
1424827524273.jpg
80 KB, 422x600
>>56760282
this
>>
File: 1455979571665.jpg (130 KB, 832x690) Image search: [Google]
1455979571665.jpg
130 KB, 832x690
>>56758079
>French classical liberalism

What is that? British classical liberalism with extra pretentiousness? France has never been a liberal country and the USA's liberal traditions were taken from Britain especially people like John Locke.

The French gave you Republicanism and a dysfunctional system of government.
>>
>>56757796
>Why do Americans make fun of French people so much?
Ignorance.

>Didn't France help USA gain its independence versus Britain?
How many Americans know this? Twelve?
>>
>>56759929
It's the other way round in England, the north is bleak and deprived compared to the superior south
>>
>>56768610

>rhe French gave you Republicanism and a dysfunctional system of government.

Wich is the most powerfull in the entire mankind's history.

God bless America, you're welcome yankies.
>>
>>56769221
>Wich is the most powerfull in the entire mankind's history.

I said the system of government not the country. Their system of government IS dysfunctional and it's weak - by DESIGN - any American will tell you that.

It's not uncommon for the US government to fail to pass a budget. Think about that.
>>
>>56769335
>Their system of government IS dysfunctional and it's weak - by DESIGN - any American will tell you that.
Welcome to liberalism 101. The most strong and functional system imaginable is totalitarian dictatorship, yet we can all agree that's undesirable. To a certain degree, to ensure maximal liberty, the state organ needs to be divided and in a constant state of conflict. Don't criticize the American system without having at least read the Federalist Papers.
>>
>>56769618
What a load of rubbish.

1. Having government separated in the US fashion has nothing to do with liberalism.

2. Totalitarian dictatorships are neither strong nor functional. History has proven this. They are unstable and vulnerable to coups and revolts.

3. There is nothing to suggest that greater division within government maximises liberty. That's one of the most stupid things I've ever read. The most stable government on the planet is the British government which is Parliamentary and employs the *fusion* of powers rather than *separation* of powers.
>>
>>56758397
>the average American that you would meet on the street is pretty nice
lol
>>
Germany has done well for itself with a republic since 1949 but on the other hand, they have extensive laws in place to prevent another Weimar disaster from happening again and also the place has been occupied by US troops ever since.
>>
>>56760282
I live in Paris and no it's not a shithole
life is okay there
>>
>>56769837
>1. Having government separated in the US fashion has nothing to do with liberalism.
Read the Federalist Papers

>2. Totalitarian dictatorships are neither strong nor functional. History has proven this. They are unstable and vulnerable to coups and revolts.
History proves the opposite actually. Totalitarian Dictatorships usually crumble due to outside pressure, not pressure from the inside. Hitler was incredibly popular and to this very day Stalin is considered one of Russia's greatest heroes.

>3. There is nothing to suggest that greater division within government maximises liberty.
Again, read the federalist papers.

It's uncanny how many of your objects can be solved by simply familiarizing yourself with that which you are criticizing rather than assuming a priori that you're correct.
>>
>>56759929
Not here
>>
>>56757796
Inferiority complex.
>>
"The British loved to pride themselves on their liberalism, but as the XIX century wore on, their pride was looking increasingly outdated. Britain lagged behind France in personal liberty, Germany in social legislation, and Austria-Hungary in national polity. Alone among the major powers of Europe, the UK had never experienced the shock of political revolution or foreign occupation, so prevailing attitudes remained intensely pragmatic. The crown continued to govern in the 18th century style, as if the French Revolution had never happened. Britain's ancient institutions were very slow to change and reformers often banged their heads on the gates for decades. The unreformed Parliament, a scandalous anachronism, survived until 1836. Not until 1908 was so much as an attempt made to curb the feudal privileges of the House of Lords. The Church of England was never disestablished. Religious toleration was never quite completed. Catholics were tolerated from 1828, Jews not until 1888. Both groups continued to be excluded from the throne. Although republican groups existed, there was no serious move to abolish the monarchy or adopt a written constitution."
>>
I think they hate france because its full of muslims
>>
>>56770140
Unable to make an argument yourself, you appeal to authority.

I can't believe you're trying to argue that the totalitarian dictatorship is "the most functional form of government imaginable".

>>56770271
Slow and steady change trumps revolution and civil war.
>>
>>56770140
>History proves the opposite actually. Totalitarian Dictatorships usually crumble due to outside pressure, not pressure from the inside. Hitler was incredibly popular and to this very day Stalin is considered one of Russia's greatest heroes.
Indeed. The Chinese system is very stable and there's no reason to think the PRC will collapse any time soon.
>>
>>56770271
Long after the Enlightenment and the French Revolution, London was still denying the Irish the most basic civil rights and in fact starved several million of them.
>>
>>56770442
Oh look, it's another one of those Mmmmuhhhh heritage fags.
>>
>>56758397
This guy probably went to Marseille
>>
>>56770442
Ummm, you do know that France did essentially the same thing by suppressing regional cultures and languages.
>>
"The business of the Frenchman is war and he does an excellent job of it."

-- Rudyard Kipling

He was right btw France has always been a quite martial culture.
>>
File: fufufufufu.gif (134 KB, 340x340) Image search: [Google]
fufufufufu.gif
134 KB, 340x340
>>56770560
Hehehe
>>
>>56770442
Intensely hypocritical

Let's forget that the USA, all "freedom and liberty", was keeping millions of slaves after the British Empire abolished slavery and used the Royal Navy to enforce the ban in the Empire

And the French? They embraced dictatorship after their Revolution. Napoleon committed acts of deliberate genocide in Haiti. Even "long after" the French Revolution (as you put it), France was ruled by an Emperor with near absolute power.
>>
>>56770442
t. guy who's grandfather was 1/65th Irish
>>
File: thatcryfeel.jpg (45 KB, 656x773) Image search: [Google]
thatcryfeel.jpg
45 KB, 656x773
>>56770733
yeah it sucks
French are pathetic losers
>>
>>56770587
Also the Third Republic's militant anti-church campaigns did a number on traditional Catholic culture in France. It only really survives in A-L because they were controlled by Germany during that time.
>>
>>56770791
Maybe not pathetic losers, my issue is with this idea that France is liberal relative to countries like Britain. My reading of history is that France has always emphasised the power of the State. That was true in the time of the Ancien Regime, it was true under Napoleon and his straight-to-dvd 1870s sequel, and it's true today in the Fifth Republic.
>>
File: 1984 is the UK in 2016.jpg (956 KB, 1758x1541) Image search: [Google]
1984 is the UK in 2016.jpg
956 KB, 1758x1541
>>56769837
Government's too busy fighting itself to do pic related.
>>
>>56770989
The funny thing is that some of those were scrapped soon after launch because of complaints. Like the bus one. A few of the others are decades old. "2016" indeed.

I guess you focus on these old adverts because in 2016 you have an alarmingly militarised police force, while British police have stayed community-based and trusted to the extent that they reject every offer to carry firearms among regular frontline police.
>>
File: Cnt4_Fr53-1[1].jpg (209 KB, 1800x996) Image search: [Google]
Cnt4_Fr53-1[1].jpg
209 KB, 1800x996
>>56770989

Surely your government doesn't do any of these things.
>>
>>56771174
Good point, maybe if your police force wasn't the laughing stock of the world you wouldn't have these problems.
>>
>>56770351
>you appeal to authority.
Yeah... nah. I appeal to those who created the system to explain their own system. It's not my fault if you're too lazy to read. The question is whether you want to educate yourself or "win" an internet argument. If it's the latter, I hereby concede Britain is the best at everything forever. If it's the former, you'll fucking read easily and freely available information about the system you're criticizing by the people who created it. There's simply no use in discussing what you don't even understand.
>>
>>56770950
France has been a highly centralized state since Louis XIV suppressed feudalism and brought the nobles to heel. Like all of the more centralized nations (Sweden, Denmark, and all of Eastern Europe) power flows directly from the capital. This is the main reason all those countries have no important cities outside their capital.

Britain, Spain, Italy, and Germany have more of a federal system with greater local autonomy so they have relevant cities other than the capital.
>>
>>56771200
Spying on other nations =/= cctv on every street corner.
>>
>>56771200
At least they try to hide it and brainwash people to think they are free. Ignorance is bliss I'd say.
>>
File: 1458667985106.jpg (219 KB, 1097x754) Image search: [Google]
1458667985106.jpg
219 KB, 1097x754
>>56771174
Point still stands. Your government is efficient, and your government hates you and wants to keep you under their boot.
>>
Americans are retarded.
>>
>>56771279
And here comes the Kremlinbots. Right on time.
>>
>>56758150
But we gave them a fancier language
>>
File: 1449314507973.jpg (2 MB, 2674x2798) Image search: [Google]
1449314507973.jpg
2 MB, 2674x2798
>>56771286
Posting those images is a really lazy way to argue. I can do the same thing. Look, Americans getting arrested for tweets.

Your government is inefficient, and your government hates you and wants to keep you under their boot.

See? I can do it too. All I needed to do was save one of those montages compiled by some autist
>>
File: Arrested for Racism.jpg (76 KB, 428x650) Image search: [Google]
Arrested for Racism.jpg
76 KB, 428x650
>>56771406
Tell me more about how "hate speech" isn't covered under freedom of expression laws.
>>
>>56771332
Why did your country commit atrocities against the jews in 1920? Why did they commit mass vandalism in Russia?
>>
>>56771354
It's a common knowledge. I wish they did it here.
>>
>>56757796
The point is France also has a love/hate relationship with the anglo world in recent history :
- fuck you we'll get the bomb
- leave NATO to keep colonies
- pride in independance, we don't want no Coca-Cola
- 2nd biggest market for McDonald, though they are way more upscale thant in the US
- French is the universal language, why speak english ?
- Paris is the most beautiful city in the world, we don't want to share it with tourists (I am OK with this one)
>>
>>56771878
>- fuck you we'll get the bomb

Kek, the Americans tried to stop us getting the bomb too
>>
File: vacationing in Paris.jpg (299 KB, 1262x620) Image search: [Google]
vacationing in Paris.jpg
299 KB, 1262x620
>>56771878
>- Paris is the most beautiful city in the world, we don't want to share it with tourists (I am OK with this one)

You do know that this is 2016 and not 1895.
>>
>>56771249
Britain is also very centralised. We are de-centralising but it is a slow process. We are still one of the most centralised western countries. London dominates.

The difference isn't the degree of centralisation, rather it's the size of the State.
>>
>>56772335
Lol I'm not even muslim and I can tell these people are doing it wrong. You're supposed to use a mat because the floor is dirty and god doesn't want you dirty or someshit.
Thread replies: 76
Thread images: 17

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.