[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What Anglosaxons try to pronounce: Karaoke What they REALLY pronounce:
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /int/ - International

Thread replies: 53
Thread images: 7
What Anglosaxons try to pronounce: Karaoke
What they REALLY pronounce: Kya-ri-ou-kei

English has lunatic number of vowels, but they sometimes can't pronounce really easy words.
why?
>>
>>56720510
Americans pronounce it like that. In countries that speak proper English we pronounce it as properly as you lot pronounce English words.
>>
>>56721940
>as properly as you lot pronounce English words.
Sounds promising.
>>
>>56720510
fucking lingua franca.
>>
>>56720510
Parolu Esperanto kun ni

>>56724298
>>
I pronounce it Ka-ray-ok
>>
>>56724728
This
I don't know who ever said 'kya'
>>
>>56724756
English 'a' for cat, cap, etc. sometimes sounds ''ya' for Japanese
This sound is on the middle between typical 'a' and typical 'e'
>>
>>56720510
Here, I'll literally give you the answer to your awful questions.

Q. Why is "gh" in Enough pronounced "f"?
A. Historically "gh" in any English word was pronounced /x/, which is the exact same sound as german "ch" cluster in a word like Nacht or Spanish "J" in words like Juan

Q. Why is "o" in women pronounced like it is?
A. Historically English plurals were formed just like other gemanic plurals, which in some cases means changing a vowel in the word, not adding something to the end of it. For example German mutter is plural mütter

Q. Why is "ti" in Nation pronounced the way it is?
A. This is because of French. In Latin the word was pronounced T-EE (for people who aren't dummies, /ti/), thanks to palatalization which happened in most west romance languages, T-EE becamse TS-EE (tsi), which became, TCH-EE (tʃi) became SH-EE (ʃi), which became only SH ( ʃ ). The spelling was kept the same in French though, English borrowed this spelling and pronounciation.

I hope you learned something today.
>>
>>56720510
It's actually kindof logical if you aren't retarded. I learned french pretty fucking easily and 70% of their letters are silent. You should be able to recognize the patterns by now Zainichi, don't we force you to learn English for like, 5 years or something? I'm not even trying to be mean here, I cannot comprehend why you suck at English. I've talked to dozens of Koreans and Chinese and Taiwanese personally who speak perfect English, hell, I've literally talked to a guy from Zimbabwe we spoke perfect English. But my Japanese girlfriend? She's alright with speaking but her texts and emails are pretty bad - and she's lived here for 8 years.

Can you offer any insight as to why a disproportionate rate of Japanese are bad at English?
>>
>>56725010
Oops, I forgot to complete the answer to the first question.

/x/ which was originally in Enough/Night became. /x/ either became mute or got labialized to /f/.
>>
>>56725012
>I've literally talked to a guy from Zimbabwe we spoke perfect English
You shouldn't be surprised m8, English and French proficiency in a ton African country is extremely high.
>>
>>56725187
this and rodhesia was a british colony
english orthography sucks ass though
>>
>>56725187
Can you not agree though that it's strange that black people straight out of Africa are infinitely better at English compared to Japs? Especially with our presence over there. It doesn't add up. Do they deliberately not want to learn English?
>>
>>56720510

kek fuck off, you can't even pronounce Ls
>>
>>56725324
I don't think I can, simply because I'm too accustomed to African immigrants, it doesn't make sense for them not to speak English or French atleast.
>>
>>56725012
>>56725187

English has really easy grammar. but the pronunciation and the spelling are too difficult.
Italian grammar is a little bit more difficult than English one, but the pronunciation is enough simple and the spelling works well.

Why the world can't have lingua franca simple enough for foreigners in all the point?
>>
>>56724919
Is it bot supposed tobe ka as in cat?
Kah-REE-oh-KEE
i know in japanese it's more like oh-KEh
>>
File: Correct Flower Arrangement.jpg (26 KB, 340x397) Image search: [Google]
Correct Flower Arrangement.jpg
26 KB, 340x397
>>56725420
That's my point though. It IS simple enough - or at least simple enough that everybody throughout the world can speak it except for the Japanese for some reason.
>>
>>56720510
The "Ghoti" arguement is retarded because if that was a word you would not pronounce it like that, depending on your accent it would be similar to [Gha-ti] (I live in the northeastern US and this is how I would pronouce it) or [Ghoe-ti]

I pronouce Karaoke [Kare-i-oh-key]
>>
File: homer.jpg (149 KB, 530x600) Image search: [Google]
homer.jpg
149 KB, 530x600
>>56721940
>the Irish
>intelligible

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OiS55hfQSog
>>
>>56725513
Woops I meant [Kare-ee-oh-kee]

With the [ee] being as ee is in see
>>
english is a bastard mutt language made of many languages and thus follows no set rules.
>>
>>56725602
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/International_Phonetic_Alphabet
>>
>>56725607

>and thus follows no set rules.

yes it does
>>
>>56721940
Nice meme.

>Watching British YouTuber
>He says Hero-shama
>>
>>56720510
not even close senpai

more like CARE-EE-OKIE
>>
>>56725885
kind of like with the british that refuse to drive on the correct side of the road
>>
>>56725822
I'm not used to using that at all and cannot consistantly read it due to never using that so I'll just keep what I put
>>
>>56726027
K just making sure you know anybody whose first language isn't English can't understand what the fuck you are saying because we don't know what vowel and consonant clusters sound like seeing as there is little to no consistency of how things should sound across words.
>>
>>56726027
It's much better than those ad-hoc transcriptions though because English (like any other language) simply lacks certain vowels or vowel/length combinations
For example you have no normal "short a" that would have to be used in "Karaoke"
>>
>>56725906
I always wonder

'e' for Karaoke is 'e' for let, bed leg.
But most American pronounce karaok-ay or karaok-ee instead of karaok-e
why?
>>
File: notgoodman.gif (499 KB, 500x335) Image search: [Google]
notgoodman.gif
499 KB, 500x335
>>56720510
This image is so fucking retarded and I see stupid smug little shits post this bullshit on facebook all the time.
"gh" never makes the "f" sound at the beginning of a word and "ti" never makes the "sh" sound without "on" after it.
>>
>>56726295
To fit it better with native sound rules I guess. Similar here, words are not supposed with [ɛ], so we pronounce it with a schwa [ə] at the end
>>
English does need a spelling reform, anybody who disagrees is just being a stick in the mud.
>>
>>56726446
>muh "it wouldn't work dat way in dis posishun"
Knew someone would come up with that. But don't be so nitpicky, while exaggerasting, it perfectly illustrates the point of things being inconsistent
>>
>>56726295
I think most Americans wound find saying "ka-ra-oh-ke" unfamiliar and uncomfortable on the tongue. I tried saying karaoke the Japanese way several times very fast and found my self unconsciously morphing it into karyoky.
>>
File: didntrustlemyjimmies.jpg (89 KB, 399x516) Image search: [Google]
didntrustlemyjimmies.jpg
89 KB, 399x516
>>56726603
>your written language isn't 100% phonetic, therefor it must have no rules
>>
>>56726812
>100% phonetic
Doesn't need to be that, but pretending it's still the 1200s and many sound shifts and simplifications haven't happened since is stupid, French does that too
>>
>>56726527
>not supposed with
*not supposed to end with
>>
>>56726570
write
"Ille Italianus est una lingua neolatina, ecce hoc est derivata de illo Latino vulgare parlato in Italia"
and read it out as
"L'italiano è una lingua neolatina, cioè derivata dal latino volgare parlato in Italia."

this is what French and British do.
>>
>>56726446
>"ti" never makes the "sh" sound without "on" after it.
nutritious
>>
>Jacques
>seven letters
>let's only pronounce the first three
>>
Car-a-Oke
>>
>>56727246
This one's even better:
>eaux
>Pronounced as one letter
>Said letter isn't even in the word
It's like they randomly added together some vowels hoping they'd hit the right one (o), but failed at that
>>
>>56720510
>gaol
>>
>>56727116
Read it as "ti never makes a sh sound if it's not followed by a vowel" and get that dragon dildo out of your ass.

>>56729779
I never understood this word. It simply makes no sense. There are no similar words that have anything to do with its pronunciation or meaning.
And no amount of etymology can convince me otherwise.
>>
>>56731474
I still hate the word "colonel". The pronounciation makes no sense.

I also hate the "usual" pronunciation of "coelacanth" as "silakanth" rather than the more-expected "kolakanth"
>>
File: 1436740938560.png (228 KB, 858x725) Image search: [Google]
1436740938560.png
228 KB, 858x725
>>56733291
>coelacanth
>>
>>56720510
>goti
>>
>>56720510
I say "keir-ri-ou-ki" ケッリオキー
>>
>>56733979
kys
>>
>>56724728
>>56724756
Stop kidding yourselves, native English speakers don't even know how to pronounce a proper 'a'
Thread replies: 53
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.