[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hi guys. Have some questions. Are these sentences correct? I
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /int/ - International

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 2
File: english-is-fun.jpg (232 KB, 1600x1180) Image search: [Google]
english-is-fun.jpg
232 KB, 1600x1180
Hi guys. Have some questions.

Are these sentences correct? I need to make them understandable for English-speaking people:

1) We give the player a chance to test his abilities. (I`m not sure about articles. Should i use a/a, or the/a? But "we give a player a chance" sounds strange I think, isn`t it?)

2) more thread gameplay video or more captured video? (Is it right to call a video from real life "a captured video?" If it is not, how can I call it then? And is "thread gameplay video" right? I mean there was a full video and then i cut some parts... )

3) What does a person who made up his mind to plunge into this activity decide between? (I mean that there is a person, who want to plunge in some deal and he will have some choices)

I hope that it isn`t so difficult to understand me,
>>
It's a little hard to give you advice without context. From what I can tell, you're doing some sort of game presentation. Is this accompanying game footage? Is it a body of text on its own?
>>
anglos don't care how terrible your english is, ivan
>>
>>56709322
Just text without any footage.

"we give the player" - it is the first time of usage the word "player" in text, but "we give a player a chance" just sounds uncomortable for me.
May be we give TO player a chance? I`m not sure.
>>
>>56709082
>We give the player a chance to test his abilities.
That's correct.

>more thread gameplay video or more captured video?
I don't know what you mean by "thread gameplay video." All video is "captured", you wouldn't say that same as you wouldn't say "gaseous air."
If you tell me what you mean to say I can tell you how it should be written.

>What does a person who made up his mind to plunge into this activity decide between?
I'm not sure what you're trying to say with this one either. It would sort of depend on the context of the sentence since the subject isn't clear. What do you mean by "decide between?" Decide between what?
>>
>>56709593
"more thread gameplay video or more captured video"
Ok, there are to types of video: video from some game, and a "real life video" like sketches or something like this. And how can i call a "real life video"?

"What does a person who made up his mind to plunge into this activity decide between?"
Ok, may be I can write: "What choices appear infront of person, who decided to engage in such deal" (videoblogging, streaming etc.) ? There are just some choices that isn`t known now.
>>
>>56709082
>We give the player a chance to test his abilities.
This is right. You're describing an imaginary player playing your game, so "the" is used.
If this is part of a paragraph, then it may not flow well. Just a warning.

>more thread gameplay video or more captured video?
I'd call the mass noun of recorded gameplay videos "gameplay footage" and call a particular video just "a video".

>What does a person who made up his mind to plunge into this activity decide between?
This is very clumsy. I don't how to rewrite it. I'd start with using a different word than "plunge".
>>
>>56709847
Do you mean "game" as in a video game? You still need a subject in the sentence.
"Should we show more gameplay or more more ______?"
"captured video" and "real life video" aren't phrases that anyone uses. You have to fill in the blank with what the video is of, such as "skits", "commentary", "panel conversation", "video of us", "video of Ivan".

>What choices appear infront of person, who decided to engage in such deal" (videoblogging, streaming etc.)
A better way of saying that would be this:
"If a person takes up videoblogging, what are the things they would have to consider?"
>>
>>56709983
>I'd start with using a different word than "plunge"

am... to dive? to immerse?
>>
>>56710186
>to dive? to immerse?
These would work, the player would "dive into" or "immerse himself in" the activity.
Why not something like this?
>If the player were to participate in this activity, what decision would he make?
>>
>>56710140
Is there will be understood the difference if I`ll just say "footage gameplay and video"?
And as a "video" in this sentence I mean video-blog, sketches. Ok, think nedd some excemple: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8-hB4KZ_RcQ

There are in this video gameplay footage and also parts which was just capture on camera. How can I call?
>>
>>56710408
>how can I call

*How can I call it?
>>
>>56710408
footage OF gameplay.

If you can't refer to the video that's not gameplay as one particular thing then call it "live action video."
>>
>>56710442
>>how can I call
>*How can I call it?
What should I call it?
>>
>>56710408
"A video with gameplay footage"
>>
>>56710504
May be "cinematics"?
>>
>>56710643
No. "cinematics" isn't a type of video, it's something every video has. It's usually called "cinematography." Cartoons have cinematography, live action movies have cinematography, cut-scenes in video games have cinematography.
Cinematography is the style shots are set up. pic related.
>>
Just saying video is correct assuming you have introduced whoever you are talking to the concept of what these videos are already.

If this is the first time the idea of real life videos has entered into the entire thing, then you may need to clarify "a video of _____, ____, or _____" with the blanks being specific kinds of things.

But if the idea that some videos are of gameplay, and the other videos are of these other things, then just calling them 'videos' will be proper.

Honestly so much of it is based on context that you probably would be better off having the whole thing already written up, and then letting people look over it to see if it looks right.
>>
>>56710811
>>56711012
ok then, may be not "live-action video", but "live-action scenes"? Coz it might be a part of video with gameplay footage.
>>
>>56711133
"Live-action scenes" works but you can still call it live action video or you can jst call it live action and the context fills in the rest.
>I put live action and animation in my videos
>>
>>56711263
Ok, thanks a lot.

Thank you guys.
>>
>>56711467
>taking advice about English from unitedstateians
>>
>>56711801
It`s all about understanding. Most of the people understand USA english through movies and serials
>>
>>56710643
"maybe" is more appropriate here, instead of "may be".
>>
>>56711959
*series
Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.