[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Duolingo thread? What langage are you learning? >German
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /int/ - International

Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 6
File: Duolingo_logo.png (26 KB, 332x300) Image search: [Google]
Duolingo_logo.png
26 KB, 332x300
Duolingo thread?

What langage are you learning?
>German

What languages do you want to learn?
>French German and Russian

>Do you think Duingo is a viable tool for language learning?
>For Begginers. But after I complete a course I just grab a dictionary a grammar book and read a bunch of shit online and chat on message boards.
>>
>>56654791
>What language are you learning?
russian
>What languages do you want to learn?
russian?
it's good but haven't touched it for over a month
>chat on message boards
talking to people and listening to the language (anime, muslic, news, etc) is the best way to learn a language imo
>>
>>56654791
>>Do you think Duingo is a viable tool for language learning?

It's fantastic for beginners, in school it was a much slower pace and more tedious just to start.

The problem is it's good for single sentences, anything more complex requires you to go elsewhere.

If you complete the tree for a language it's good enough to speak tourist level language if you want to go to a country, but i would supplement it with a phrasebook.
>>
>>56654791
>what langage are you learning..

Hahhahhahahahahahah..
KEK.
>>
I speak American and have been trying to learn proper Mexican, but I'm not doing so well.
>>
>>56654791
I got really far in Portuguese when I was dating a girl from Brazil

But we broke up and I don't give a shit about Portuguese anymore, but met a really cute exchange student from Spain, and she's going to by my gf soon enough. So I started the Spanish course now
>>
>>56656028
lol, mexican isn't that difficult to learn (a real challenge is chilean, that version of spanish is pretty fucked up XD.) American is easy, British is sometimes confusing
>>
>>56654791
I used the Norwegian course for a while and found it useful. I don't think I personally would ever use it as a starting point for learning a language, but once you've already been learning the language for a while I think it's a great way to practice forming sentences in that language and get immediate feedback on whether you're correct or not. Especially if you don't have an actual person to practice speaking with
>>
>>56654791
I'm currently learning german, and enriching my english
After that I may learn French, but not sure if is the best choice
>>
>>56656138

No way man, mexican is by far the most difficult variety to understand. I love caribbean spanish and how they drop all their S's.
>>
>learning Polish
>want to learn french and japanese (not weeb though)
>it's good for a beginner on its own but intermediates need to use it as a supplement and advanced speakers don't get much out of it
>>
I've been using Duo since beta and I've never completed a tree. I always hit some verb skill with 7 lessons, get bored, and stop logging in until my streak expires. I just recently managed to stop caring about streaks, which is good, because if you care about streaks then losing one is a big demotivator. But I'm still having trouble getting myself through skills with 5, 6, 7, 8 lessons.
Has anyone else had this problem?
>>
>>56654791
I'm learning Ukrainian.
It's pretty good for beginners but it's hard to be consistent with it and it doesn't explicitly teach you any grammar.
>>
>>56658240
Are you using the app?
The app is shit. For some reason, it still to this day doesn't display the Tips & Notes. Those teach grammar explicitly.
It also has shitty exercises designed to be easy instead of useful. For some reason, the developers value user retention over actually teaching things.
>>
>>56658377
I've only ever used the app, I assumed it was all the same. I'll definitely check out the site then
>>
>>56658662
The mobile site is missing discussions. It wasn't always, but there have never been any available for Russian. At first I thought it was a bug, but it hasn't been fixed. It was working for other languages I tried, but I haven't tested it for them since I noticed it for Russian. I still prefer it to the app, though, and if you're using the iOS app you don't have discussions anyway.
The mobile site used to be much slower as well, but I think they fixed that.

Desktop site is objectively better than mobile app, though, assuming you don't have any troubles with the keyboard.
>>
>>56658377
Of course the app is all about retention, start throwing classroom level grammar shit at sleepy people on buses and everyone would abandon ship.
>>
>>56654791
>>What language are you learning?
>swedish and just started portuguese
>>What languages do you want to learn?
>swedish, portuguese and german
>yeah, pretty good actually
>>
Do you guys use HelloTalk? I'm trying to use it to practice my writing/speaking skills irl, but until now I'm to shy to try to speak with someone.
>>
File: green man.gif (1 MB, 570x430) Image search: [Google]
green man.gif
1 MB, 570x430
>>56654791
I've learned...
>French

I'm learning...
>German

I want to learn...
>Italian

It would be nice to learn Chinese, but life is too short.

I already learned French from university courses. I also did university courses in Spanish, Italian, and Latin. I think duolingo is not enough for learning a language, just a fun little game. It has too many flaws to be an effective tool for learning a foreign language.
>>
WHERE IS JAPANESE FOR ENGLISH SPEAKERS???

It's not even in the incubator but meme languages like esperanto and klingon are, what the hell I was so mad.
>>
>>56658804
The website is about retention as well. There's a tendency to translate more from the target language (testing recognition, easy) than to (testing production, hard) just because it's less taxing.

>>56659002
The J->E team has talked about this a lot. The short answer is that you shouldn't expect it ever. Duo's architecture just can't handle it right now. English for Japanese speakers is already a mess. It was in beta for years.
>>
I'm learnin Esperanto m8s it's great
>>
>>56654791
Currently learning Russian. It's an awesome resource, but using other resources and especially chatting with people is necessary if you really wanna learn the language.
>>
File: 1455946918400.jpg (85 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
1455946918400.jpg
85 KB, 1280x720
>Mostly French but I did a bit of Dutch and Swedish for shits and giggles

It's good if you take it for what it is.
>>
What language are you learning?
>Dutch (level 19) and French (level 9).

What languages do you want to learn?
>I'd like to learn Mandarin (listening and speaking). Also I'd like to brush up on my Cantonese.

Do you think Duolingo is a viable tool for language learning?
>It's good for burning vocabulary into your head. For grammar, it's not really that helpful.
>>
Learned some Dutch actually. Ik been een jongen en jij been een meisje. Everything i remember.
>>
>>56654791
>Duolingo thread?
>What langage are you learning?

german

>What languages do you want to learn?

next one after german is japanese, next one is probably finnish

no, it sucks. one of those ordinary memorize this word shit. got myself in an actual german course and maaan is it awesome. get to learn grammar, right structures, vocabulary, expressions, etc
>>
File: 1457330940911.png (861 KB, 905x737) Image search: [Google]
1457330940911.png
861 KB, 905x737
>>56660162
Dutch is stupid easy going from English for some reason. They seem pretty similar.

I just wish I had a practical use for it in my life so I'd have motivation to become fluent.
>>
>>56660253
Yeah, it's pretty hard to care enough when all Dutch speakers worth talking to know fluent English. I've heard most of them won't even talk to Americans or Brits in Dutch.
>>
File: 1457436253799.jpg (26 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
1457436253799.jpg
26 KB, 300x300
>>56660269
The curse of having English as your first language
>>
>>56654791
I was learning russian but one of the lessons was broken and it didn't work properly.
>>
>>56660399
We can always speak it together. Hej. :)
Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.