[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Besides America what is the most culturally influential country?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /int/ - International

Thread replies: 70
Thread images: 9
File: 32CPPB9.jpg (20 KB, 356x356) Image search: [Google]
32CPPB9.jpg
20 KB, 356x356
Besides America what is the most culturally influential country?
>>
>>56635355
Britain, France, Japan
>>
>>56635355
Anime
>>
>>56635355
UK
>>
anime
>>
anime
>>
Israel

Overall
>>
>>56635355
Germoney
>>
>>56635412
Remove Japan, add Italy
>>
File: 3467478545.jpg (11 KB, 284x178) Image search: [Google]
3467478545.jpg
11 KB, 284x178
>>56635446
>>56635412
Yup, even Obama is confirmed for a weeb
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l-8zQC-9Iok
>>
>>56635355
Saudi Arabia

They exported their culture and way of life to 1.7 billion people.
>>
Great britain
>>
Vatican City
>>
Chinatown
>>
Britain
Who else can even compete to us?
>>
>>56635845
Albania
>>
File: 1451271925068.jpg (38 KB, 326x346) Image search: [Google]
1451271925068.jpg
38 KB, 326x346
>>56635568
>>
>>56635355
africa
>>
>>56635355
>America
>Country

Pick one
>>
>>56635845
How is britain culturally influencial in any way
>>
>>56635961
>colonised most of the globe
>>
>>56635355
>Besides America
mcfucking kill yourself, the only culture you have is consuming in larger quantities than the rest

it's britain for the "low" culture and france for "high" culture

prove me wrong
>>
Holland
>>
File: Gutenberg.jpg (16 KB, 220x280) Image search: [Google]
Gutenberg.jpg
16 KB, 220x280
>>56635355
Germany
>>
Mongolia.
>>
>>56636119
>using the internet
>american imageboard
>speaking english as a result of american influence

It's cool to be edgy every now and then so long as it doesn't make you wrong.
>>
File: 47458.jpg (78 KB, 640x533) Image search: [Google]
47458.jpg
78 KB, 640x533
>>56635355
>posts latvian invention
Jacob W. Davis was Latvian-jewish u faggit.
>>
Britain
France
Spain
Italy
>>
>>56636486
gutenberg was a technical innovator
if your point is that printing press enabled wider spread for culture: fair enough
but which culture? all of them?

>>56636582
the internet is not a for of culture, it is a technology to spread information
could've made an argument for muh "internet culture", but aparently you're too fucking stupid for that
american imageboard? ratted off from japs 1to1? with emphasis on jap culture? haha no, get the fuck out!
what other languages do you speak? none? pathetic attempt!
>>
>>56636582
You've just proved his point, ANGLO.
>>
Philippinos are the most powerful race in the world
>>
>>56636711
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Culture_of_the_United_States
Mind telling me what parts of this don't exist?
>>
File: 467468.jpg (26 KB, 420x420) Image search: [Google]
467468.jpg
26 KB, 420x420
>>56636907
>https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Culture_of_the_United_States
>posting a link to an article about yogurt
>>
>>56635845
thats in the past. your modern culture is shit and doesnt have a presence now.
>>
>>56637007
Good one Japan, you have bested us with your intellect this time.

I concede to you Japans superior cultural influence on the world today. Little girl cartoons and being a virgin loser truly are the marks of modern day society.

Well played sir!
>>
>>56636907
i do, because i did not say you had no culture at all. that was your projection. i said: the only influential part of culture from america is consumer culture.
>>
>>56636907
Movies and some music are influential, you should've mentioned them. It's not much compared to any major European culture including English culture though. Bestone is right and his arguments are precise.
>>
>>56635355
>America being the most influential
If you consider being toxic and parasitic 'cultural influence' then you're right yeah.
>>
I can't think of a single country that even comes close to the impact USA has globally today. They dominate the movie, music, retail, fast-food, etc. markets.

Tbh probably japan, they are still known for high quality electronics (phones, cars, appliances, video games, etc.)
>>
>>56636711
>the internet is not a for of culture, it is a technology to spread information
M8, you memeing me on how much you hate the US is a result of cultural expression afforded by the internet.
Look at your reply to rare flag. Gutenberg's printing press is the prefect example.
>if your point is that printing press enabled wider spread for culture: fair enough

Also:
>what other languages do you speak? none?
You're implicating that I'm uncultured for not speaking any other language- yet you're not seeing the irony in you speaking English. Which, by the way, is a testament to the degree of American influence over the past ~70 years.

When will people finally admit that 'culture' isn't just old buildings?
>>
England, France and Spain
>>
If you take consumerism out of the question, what culture does the USA have left? Political correctness?
>>
>>56637443
>japan, they are still known for high quality electronics
lol what? japan is known for cheap consumer tier crap that breaks apart after a limited time period
they actively design their industrial products like cars for that

and what has electronics have to do with culture? it's sci/tech not culture...

>>56637556
there is no irony in me speaking english
do you even comprehend what irony is?
>>
>>56635355
>>56635845
This. The British are the non-meme answer. They even perpetuate what would otherwise constitute 'American' culture at a much higher degree than any other country.
>>
UK > France > Germany > Italy > Russia > USA

In terms of cultural influence over history
>>
>murka
>britain
>france
>durdduruur

meanwhile around the whole planet being rich and classy is represented by having a villa on the lake of como, driving a maserati, a ferrari or a lamborghini, riding a ducati or a MV augusta, wearing suits and shirts handmade in naples, shoes from florence, furnishing a home with stuff designed and built in milan, sailing around in a Riva yatch

museums around the planet are chock full of italian art, curators would suck dicks to have a leonardo for 1 day in their museums

the fashion industry is basically italian

hollywood can't help but suck italians' dicks and cheering for directors like paolo sorrentino and gabriele muccino

italian music is loved all around the globe from south america, eastern europe, asia, with classical singers like andrea bocelli, pavarotti, composers like oscar winner ennio morricone, and dozens of pop singers

italian food is the most beloved on the planet

>faggots on /int/ will still try to argue
>>
>>56638077
>this is what italians actually believe
does the conditioning of italian children to become arrogant grandeur illusionists begin at birth or at a later phase in life?
>>
>>56637708
>there is no irony in me speaking English
Yes there is when you're trying dispel the degree of American cultural influence over your daily life. How daft can a human being be?
>>
>>56638257
me starting to learn english had more to do with britain being culturally influential

feeling stupid already? no? you should
>>
>>56637704
Music, cinema, language, ideology, business, fashion etc.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Americanization#Media_and_popular_culture
>>
>>56638234
>can't do anything but act like a smug cunt when facing objective facts
>this butthurt because nobody gives a flying shit about his "country"
>calls other arrogant
>>
>>56638363
"As a global language, English unquestionably owes much to empire. That there are large native-speaking English across the world (and countries where English is a common working language) is in large part due to that proud English/British tradition of sailing around the world and stealing lands. But this alone explains little about English's remarkable position in the world today. Both French and Spanish can similarly claim to be global languages in this sense.

So what is it that elevates English above these other languages? What accounts for the spread of English beyond its colonial borders to become a truly global lingua franca, spoken from Indonesia to Italy? Why is English not limited to an Anglosphere, an equivalent of la Francophonie?

And that's what's interesting about English. It's not that it has a lot of native speakers but that it's become an important asset in most professional, political or cultural fields across the world. As Jiao Xue and Wenjing Zuo note (in their own 'international English'):

"Whether you like English or not, if you want to enter into the wave of globalization and informatization, and conduct effective international communications, or you want to become an influential politician, merchant and scientist, you must be able to use English to communicate."

Empire alone does not explain how this has come about. To be blunt: the fact English is an official language in India and Nigeria is of little relevance in understanding why most Finnish scientific papers are today published in English..."
>>
>>56638463
>when facing objective facts
for an italian an objective fact is this: the world is bootshaped, everyone who disagrees is an idiot!

i don't care about no one not caring about my country, this is aside the point entirely
and i did not call others arrogant, i called you specifically arrogant
>>
>>56638602
>English
>English
>English
all i see is English, not America, but English

you are actively destroying your own "argument"
>>
>>56638363
"Speaking of science, it provides a clear example of the growing importance of English. In 1920 the most popular language for scientific papers was German (followed by English and French). By 1960 English had passed this, growing to 50% of all papers published. By 1980 it was at 75% and accelerating: in 1996 91% of scientific papers were in English. Today approximately 1% of scientific papers are published in German and entire journals have simply switched to English, name and all. To become an internationally renowned scientist today almost requires some ability to communicate in English.

Other areas are less easy to track, given the absence of such an obvious metric, but the trend is clear. French remained the lingua franca of diplomats until WWII, albeit with English's prominence growing in the interwar years. English was given a particularly boost by the founding of the UN and the emergence of the US as a superpower. In business, English has quickly spread along with globalisation, as Western companies and their technologies march around the world. Anecdotally, I've sat in Russian call centres where no one spoke English but the operators were still obliged to type English phrases (in the Latin alphabet) because the IT system used was American. This is the reach of English at the coalface.

For our purposes, what's particularly interesting about all this is that this rise of English as a global lingua franca largely post-dates the demise of the Empire and has little to do with colonial structures...."
>>
i take my arguments against italy back now

pasta culture has clearly conquered american continent
>>
>>56638363
"Instead this spread is largely a product of the second half of the 20th C: that period of economic and political dominance by the US. There are some specific factors at work in each area (eg developments in the field of science were largely due to US sponsored translation efforts) but generally "in the latter half of the 20th century, [English's] widespread use was mostly due to the military, economic and cultural dominance of the United States of America." The multinationals, institutions, technologies, etc that have driven the spread of English over the past several decades have largely been American. As David Crystal puts it:

"During the 20th C, [English's] world presence was maintained and promoted almost single-handedly through the new American superpower. Economics replaced politics as the chief driving force. And the language behind the US Dollar was English."

It's not monocausal, stupid

To be clear: none this is to say that the Empire was irrelevant. There were a number of reasons as to why English was at the right place at the right time when it came to exploding globally. But empire does not explain the ability of English to spread beyond colonial borders; for that we have to look at the broader political and economic context of the 20th C. And that's where the Americans come in. The US' political, economic and cultural reach over the past several decades has been key in growing English beyond its colonial borders...."
>>
>>56638604
what i listed in my post is objective, you can tip toe around it because it makes your booty hurt all you want, people suck our dicks in fashion, in cinema, in art, in cousine, in music, in car culture, etc, there is nothing you can say to change that
nobody gives a flying shit about german or french culture aside from contrarians on 4chan
>>
File: what a fucking tard.png (79 KB, 220x175) Image search: [Google]
what a fucking tard.png
79 KB, 220x175
>>56638834
>>
>>56638834
ignore him m8. there's no convincing neets like him.
>>
>>56638234
usually around the 14th year of our life
>>
Surely not the country that actually invented blue jeans.
>>
>>56638659
Because American english and British english are exactly the same...
>>
>>56637433
It's not like we helped rebuild your country after WWII or anything.
>>
>>56635568
total weeb

probably posts on /int/

seems pretty chill, would talk to about books
>>
File: 1451970544570.jpg (222 KB, 1357x795) Image search: [Google]
1451970544570.jpg
222 KB, 1357x795
>>56635355
France
They dominate high cuisine everywhere. Chinese, Japanese, Americans and other Euros all visit them second most after the USA. Couple that with the fact that their language is spoken all over and it is the language of international diplomacy- you have to admit it's France.
>>
>>56641821
actually more people go to france
>>
>>56641821
What the FUG is going on in this picture?
>>
File: 1458429660065s.jpg (8 KB, 250x207) Image search: [Google]
1458429660065s.jpg
8 KB, 250x207
>>56635961
>he says... In English
>>
You mean currently? Probably Britain, since they get to ride on America's coattails due to the fact they speak American.
Thread replies: 70
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.