[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Any Japanese diaspora/Nikkeijin around here? I grew up on the
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /int/ - International

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 2
File: nipnong.jpg (192 KB, 1513x983) Image search: [Google]
nipnong.jpg
192 KB, 1513x983
Any Japanese diaspora/Nikkeijin around here?

I grew up on the American west coast, but I'm in NYC now. I feel like the east coast has a lot more FoBs than the west coast or Hawaii, so it feels a bit different.

>Going to Japanese school on Saturdays
>Feeling gimped because only close relatives send you otoshidama all the way across the pacific
>The agony of not being able to watch Saturday morning cartoons with everyone else.
>Parents will happily buy you manga for "studying" purposes
I'm in the US, but I'm also interested in how other nikkeijin communities work around the world.

Also open to questions for anyone else if you're interested.
>>
File: chooki brooki.png (265 KB, 400x386) Image search: [Google]
chooki brooki.png
265 KB, 400x386
I have never seen a Japanese person in real life.
>>
>>56584469
>Nikkeijin
>ij
Cultural appropriation.
>>
>>56584816
If you don't live in a coastal state, Hawaii, or a state with a bunch of automotive industrial stuff going on it may very well be the case that there's absolutely no Japanese people within 100 miles of you.

>>56584861
>ij
>cultural appropriation
I don't get it.
>>
>>56584469
of what generation are you?
>>
>>56584969
I live near the largest research center in the United States. Still never seen any Japanese people.
>>
>>56585252
My parents came straight from Japan, so I'm probably what you would call second generation. I wouldn't call myself quite "nisei," since that has a historical connotation with war era stuff. I've read somewhere that people like me are called shin-nisei.

>>56585284
Well, there are probably more millionaires than there are Japanese people in the US, so I guess it's not that surprising.
>>
>>56584469
member of the biggest japanese community outside of japan
feels bad
>>
>>56584469
DC nip here
>>
>>56584816
>>56584969
My best friend at the age of 8 was Japanese. I'm 21 now and have never met anyone else with Japanese ancestry
>>
>>56585530
I've always wondered what it's like down there. Do you guys have a community going on? (schools, markets, etc...) I know there's a little tokyo, but the ones in the US are basically tourist/weeab traps that most real Jap-American don't visit too often.

>>56585562
>DC
Do you guys even have a Japanese market over there, or do you rely on Chinese markets and stuff?
>>
>>56584469
Not Japanese American, but I get lunch at Nijiya almost every day. Great place desu.
>>
>>56586053
Oh shit, which one?
I used to work at one as a cashier/stocker in college.
>MFW we get free bento every day if we work a 6hr shift
I was grateful, but I don't want to see another fucking Nijiya bento ever again.
>>
>>56585899
the era of separate schools and markets is gone, but there are certain things (like kumon, a japanese math course) and markets for jap stuff
>>
>>56585899
there's also a japanese neighborhood (liberdade) but it's mainly a tourist trap these days
>>
>>56586434
>>56586529
I guess Brazil doesn't have much of a Japanese expat population then. Are the Japanese-Brazilians pretty much all completely integrated, then?

At least in the US, there are two big groups. The expats that came directly from Japan for work related reasons, and the historical Japanese-Americans that are descendants of the people who got tossed into Camps during WWII.

Some of the people in the former group speak Japanese, but most of the sansei are all but totally American and the nisei are all really old.
>>
>>56584969
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IJ_(digraph)
>>
>>56587145
Oh, that makes sense.

I was wondering why Sloterdijk was spelled that way when I visited last year. Thanks.
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.