[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How hard is it to learn Dutch?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /int/ - International

Thread replies: 55
Thread images: 2
File: netherlands.png (46 KB, 600x608) Image search: [Google]
netherlands.png
46 KB, 600x608
Title.
>>
just steal my flag up
>>
>>56583453
not hard
>>
>>56583453
It's not that it's hard. It's more why you would learn german instead.
>>
>>56583550
Could you elaborate a bit what makes it easy?
>>
>>56583641
well it's easy in the fact that it's not difficult
>>
>>56583453
Coming from a foreigner that is trying to learn it, very hard. It makes spanish and english look easy.
>>
it's hard as fuck. after 6 years of learning it at school, 4 hours per week, i could still not speak dutch correctly. plus it's a totally useless language.
>>
>>56583453
For a steppnigger with a meme languange I think its pretty hard
>>
>Title.

Fuck off reddit
>>
I don't speak Dutch at all and found a good job there with English and German. It's totally fine.
>>
>>56584052
b-but I speak English at a C1-C2 level! I don't exclusively speak a meme language anymore!
>>
File: 1396546789767.jpg (3 KB, 117x126) Image search: [Google]
1396546789767.jpg
3 KB, 117x126
>>56584180
>English
>>
>>56583453
You wouldn't really need Dutch unless you just want to learn it for fun, I guess it is pretty hard, word order in sentences is hard for foreigners. a lot of irregular verbs also.
>>
>>56583453
It's really easy to learn to understand, but it's grammar can be really inconsistent. In many ways it's more difficult then German, even though it's case system is simplified.
>>
>>56583453
it depends on what language you speak.
Being brits or german, it is probably easy to learn dutch.
>>
>>56584762
Dutch is just an easier and more regular variant of German, all memes aside. And since it is closely related to English with a lot of common vocab, it should be more or less easy to handle for OP, since he surely already knows English.
>>
It's easy. Easier than German. There are some irregular verbs, but that's just a matter of memorization. Two genders, also a matter of memorization. The word order is comparable to German. No case system. It's your standard Germanic language. The pronunciation can be iffy, I guess. But no one expects you to be able to pronounce things fluently. Being understood is all that matters.
>>
>>56585606
Samefagging, but oh well. What I wanted to add is that what makes it difficult to learn, I guess, is that pretty much everyone over here speaks English anyways. And most Dutch people tend to switch to English when they notice you're struggling with Dutch. Add to that the fact that the general mentality over here is "why would u learn dutch lolz wie al spiek inglisj enieweez." That's what makes it difficult, I'd say. Not the language itself.
>>
To be honest, my uncle from the US has been living in the Netherlands for 15 years now and barely speaks a word of Dutch. You don't need it to get around. He does work from home though, so if you need a job here that isn't from home or international you will probably need it.
>>
>>56585869
if you refuse to speak english you can learn any language easily. a language being hard is just a mindset. theyre all pretty much easy, even languages that are memed to be hard like chinese
>>
>>56587894
this guy gets it. it's all about mentality and motivation to actually learn a language
>>
>>56588084
the reason children are good at learning languages isnt because they have superpowers. its because they dont have any memes about language learning ingrained. they just play futbol with their friends or whatever and get better naturally. but adults can do the same shit if they arent so self conscious.
>>
not as hard as muh dick
>>
>>56588252
xd
>>
>>56583453
It's kind of the halfway point between German and English 2bh. I've never taken any Dutch lessons but just from reading I can guess more Dutch than I'd be able to for anything else.
>>
>>56588512
it is very easy I think, my ex (sigh..) I taught her the language, the most difficult things are some sounds (ui and de G) and word infliction is slightly more comprehensive than English. Plus there is a sort of word gender, not like in German or French, but still (de and het, for those that are Dutch and do not realize we have word genders).
>>
>>56588512
did not mean to react to your post, dunno why I clicked it
>>
>>56588704
The G isn't so hard for me because there's a similar sound in Irish. I hate the rolled R though. I really can't do that.
>>
>>56588914
it's not an absolute necessity some accents have it some don't. Most people in the more affluent parts of the randstad will use an R that seems like the English one.

But the ui is much more important. I have met so much foreigners who think they do the ui correctly, but they do not. there is a very gentle difference in the sound that can make quite a difference in the meaning of words.
>>
Ik spreek het. Wat wil je over het te weten?
>>
>>56589114
Yeah ui is one of those sounds that seems really easy to do right but isn't. When I first heard it, I thought it was the same as ow in English.
>>
>>56589343
ik spreek het. (so far so good) wat wil je erover weten? (you are putting the word order in English and it sounds awful)
>>
>>56589370
Damn Sean, you can't say the ui dipthong?
>>
>>56589462
I've never really tried. I don't speak Dutch. I just know about it.
>>
>>56589438
Ah, thanks.
>>
>>56589370
it's like one of those sounds that does not exist in some languages but exists in others. Like the th sound at the beginning of that or third.

you will often hear Dutch speakers say turd instead of third.
>>
not hard but you'll never master het and de
>>
dutch is notoriously difficult for foreigners. The little numerous nuances are obnoxious as hell for learners.

I would advise to not even learn this shitty lanuage. Go learn latin and become a patrician
>>
>>56589530
there are a lot of things easier about Dutch than English, for one the vocabulary is more compact. Where you guys seem to have two words for everything.

But word order changes constantly in Dutch.

English is (often) very straightforward subject verb object. Dutch often changes depending on the grammatical context.
>>
>>56589751
>The little numerous nuances are obnoxious as hell for learners.

No language is unique in this respect.
>>
>>56589751

trial and error

>>56589751

that is simply not true, and most likely a meme we dutch like saying to each other to make ourselves feel better. It has some difficult parts but for an English speaker it is quite easy to learn. Words are often similiar to English though there are less words than English which makes it easier to learn.
>>
>>56589893
the trial and error part was for :
>>56589689
>>
>>56589751

this >>56589798 desu. it's such a meme. everyone's native language is supposedly """"really difficult"""". some dutch people even go as far as to say it's one of the """"most difficult"""" languages in the world. it's just stroking one's ego and uninformed-ness. it drives me up the wall
>>
>>56590835
it has much more to do with the language family your language belongs to. If you already speak English it is not difficult, both Dutch and English are Indo-europea/Germanic/West Germanic languages, no prob. Try learning Chinese or Basque that is sure to be much more of a headache.
>>
penis
>>
>>56591118
lekker korte paal
>>
>>56589893
>Words are often similar to English
Incorrect. It's grammar that's close, not vocabulary. Many words that are the same aren't used on a regular basis in English anymore, instead having been replaced by Romance loans.
>stroking one's ego and uninformed-ness
That's also incorrect. Our language is pretty much the most complicated out of all the Germanic languages, save Icelandic & Faroese. True, it's vocabulary is quite small compared to English and German, but it definitely isn't small compared to most languages on the planet.

I would say that Slavic and Celtic languages are definitely harder to learn, as are pretty much all non-Indo-European languages, but most Romance languages are easier.

Dutch still can be really complicated, though many people are lazy. Take our case system, we still have it, but it's considered overly formal. We have de, des, 's, der, den, het, etc. But in informal speech we only use de, het and occasionally 's.
>>
>>56591595
I speak quite a bit of Korean (yeah not fluent because fuck it) and I can tell you there is almost no relation to English or Dutch. If I read a Danish sentence I can guess the jist of it because so many Germanic words are the same or comparable. I don't know if I could do the same with English because of the ubiquitousness of the language but if I would not I assume I could still guess what most things would mean.

just read our conversations on here and you will see many English words that have Dutch equivalents which are extremely closely linked.

I would not say our language is not a complicated Germanic language, but this whole meme of it being one of the most complicated in the world is just simply not true.
>>
>>56583453
Not hard after you pronounce the guttural g, roll over tongue r, and the ui. But mastering it is a hard challenge. I find myself still making mistakes on the de/het rule.
If you come from an english speaking background, then dutch will sound familiar.
>>
>>56589781
Could you give me an example, please?
>>
>>56593508
sure, when giving a reason for something it mostly goes a bit like this

because I have eaten all the cookies, they are gone

in dutch this would be something like

omdat ik alle koekjes opgegeten heb zijn ze op

because I all cookies eaten have, they are gone

white a normal sentence would be different, while in English it remains SVO

I have eaten all the cookie
Ik heb alle koekjes opgegeten
Ik have all cookies eaten

especially the positioning of the verbs changes, sometimes they are next to each other after the subject, sometimes they meet each other at the end, sometimes they are in different parts of the sentence
>>
>>56594098
because I all cookies eaten have, are they gone*

that is the *correct* literal translation
>>
>>56583453
Its hard to learn when your first language is a steppe language but being born here made it easier for me :D

t.turk
>>
>>56592303
Zachte g beste g
Thread replies: 55
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.