[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
My professor just said Brazil is a model country regarding ethnic
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /int/ - International

Thread replies: 76
Thread images: 10
File: 1456948759174.gif (896 KB, 700x600) Image search: [Google]
1456948759174.gif
896 KB, 700x600
My professor just said Brazil is a model country regarding ethnic diversity. It is the closest thing we have right now to a postmodern paradise of sorts.

Not posting in /pol/ because to avoid stormfaggotry, but I am curious if any brazil bros out there can tell me how they feel living in such a heterogeneous country. My prof thinks homogeneity is a bad thing, and there should never be a majority of any race or ethnic group in any country.

I don't know senpai. Sounds like too much chaos and endless in fighting to me
>>
>>56576530
Not gonna lie, the more "white" a state is, the less shitty it is.
The Northeast is heterogeneous as fuck and it's the shittiest place in the country.
São Paulo and the South are less heterogeneous and they are the best states in the country.
>>
>>56577002
What about the more Asian a state is? How does that affect things?
>>
>>56577002
That's not really true, if anything the NE is more homogeneous than the south and southeast. Meaning they're mostly brown.

The vast majority of immigrants came to the south and southeast.
>>
>>56578046
The most asian state is either São Paulo or Paraná, but asians are at most 5% of the population in those states.
>>
>>56578046
In this case, São Paulo is the most asian state. They were pretty violent post WW2, but now they are just chill.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shindo_Renmei
>>
I like the fact that race isn't an issue here most of the time.

The only real prejudice people have is against blacks, people seem to be blind to race otherwise. Asians, Syrians, Natives, Argentinians...it's all the same.

I wouldn't call it a utopia though since we have a pretty high murder rate, and blacks are the most killed demographic. Brazil is not very nice to black people.
>>
>>56580168
If you removed all niggers and those with a heavy amount of nigger heritage would Brazil become a safer place?
>>
File: images (90).jpg (21 KB, 470x313) Image search: [Google]
images (90).jpg
21 KB, 470x313
>>56580168
>>
>>56576530
>Not homogenous
>It is the closest thing we have right now to a postmodern paradise of sorts.
Paradise means hell? Alright.
>>
>>56576530
If he mentions us in the future tell him we're 75% Chinese and more homogenous than you guys.
>>
>doing a course where your professor would say such things
smhfamicom
>>
>>56576530
>My professor just said Brazil is a model country regarding ethnic diversity.
Thats some shit "model country" then
>>
>>56580229
Safer yes. But our whites are savages as well.

>>56580347
Hey! At least all this racial variety yields some pretty hot girls
>>
>>56580229
That's not how stuff works you retard
>>
>>56580444
Argentina pls go this is a thread about Brazil.

>>56580438
Why is Brazil statistically such a violent country?
>>
>>56580438
I know it's subjective but I've honestly never seen a Brazilian girl who I deem as hot

>>56580553
Northeast Brazil is full of mestizos and niggers, the crime (usually) comes from there or Rio
Or so I've heard
>>
>>56580553
Because niggers
>>
>>56576530
Your professor is a retard. An American nigger probably lives better than a Brazilian pardo.

Also, if no country should have a racial majority, why don't we just start invadingAfrica and Asia? The fuckers sure need some enrichment.

Oh, and how the fuck does he explain China, Japan and SK? They have a vast racial majority and they are succesful.

He can't, because he's an antiwhite lefty retard. And I haven't ever set foot on /pol/ so save the comments.
>>
>>56580553
because drugs and people fighting for or against it, most people have never seen a gun here
>>
>>56580578
>>56580553
The crime is everywhere. The south isn't safe either.

Mostly drug related crimes.
>>
>>56576530

I barely know anything about Brazil, but I know they bitch endlessly about racial oppression. Your prof is full of it.
>>
>>56580553
>Why is Brazil statistically such a violent country?

Entire South and Central America is the route of drugs into America. Lots of money to be made. End the drug war in the USA and elsewhere and the violence would be reduced.
>>
>>56580806
4chan autists arent the representative of our reality m8
>>
Brazil is an irredeemable shit hole, who gives a single fuck. They've never been relevant and never will be.
>>
>>56581154
>relevance
>Canada

ok
>>
>>56581230
>Reading comprehension
Where in my post did I say Canada was relevant, monkey?
>>
>My professor just said Brazil is a model country regarding ethnic diversity. It is the closest thing we have right now to a postmodern paradise of sorts.
>My prof thinks homogeneity is a bad thing, and there should never be a majority of any race or ethnic group in any country.

fuck the /pol/ memes about American education are right
>>
But isn't the end product of all ethnically diverse societies an ethnically homogenic mess of brown?

How will you embrace diversity when embracing diversity destroys it by turning everyone into same shit?
>>
To be honest your professor said some dumb shit. The majority of poor people are brown (or black) while the majority of rich people are white.
Not saying there aren't the occasional poor white and occasional rich black/brown, but as a general rule whites are better off than brown people.
>>
>>56581230

One of the biggest economies in the world, and we're one of the main reasons USA is such an ecnomic power house.
>>
>>56581369
You didn't, but Canada talking about relevance is like India calling us a shithole.

If you can't get such simple concept maybe it's you who should work on your reading comprehension.
>>
>>56581230
>Canada
>not relevant
pick one
>>
>>56581670
>Qualitative statements are only true if you're posting with the right flag
YOU CAN'T MAKE THIS LACK OF INTELLIGENCE UP
THIS MONKEY LITERALLY THINKS PEOPLE IN IRRELEVANT COUNTRIES LACK THE CAPACITY TO CLASSIFY THR RELEVANCE OF OTHER COUNTRIES
>>
>>56581804
I never sayd you can't, (you should work on your reading comprehension) it's just that it's funny.

For instance, if a swedish poster called you guys cucks he will be right, but it's funny nevertheless.

But I'm not stay here and teach a 12-year-old about that.
>>
diversity is code word for globalist jew agenda.
>>
>>56581804
You should not expect an inteligent reply from somebody who most likely gave up on education after receiving primary school diploma.
>>56581937
---> /pol/
>>
>>56581937

It really is.

It boils down to economics. They need a steady stream of people to replace the old people. They need new workers to pay the old. This means immigrants, and often brown people. Hense diversity.

One of the biggest ironies is that anti-capitalist left has swallowed one of the biggest policies the economic right has fostered on our societies because they covered it in leftist feel good love your neighbor framing.
>>
>>56576530
I just went to the market here and for some reason something took my attention. I saw blacks, mixed people, arabs, asians and europeans (some looked very portuguese, others looked very German and a few were clearly slavic, probably Ukranians), more or less in equal proportions and all of different economic classes(and yes, there were some poor-ish whites and welthy people of every other race), but not segragated at all.
I don't know about how it is countries like Australia or Canada to say that our country is the best in heterogeneity tho, but we surely don't have too many problems with it here.
I don't care that much about that though, the thing that I like most here is how people are friendly and happy, at least imho.

>>56578218
>if anything the NE is more homogeneous than the south and southeast. Meaning they're mostly brown.
This.
>>
A cesspit of corruption, poverty and violence.

Sounds like what everyone should strive for.
>>
>>56576530
>ethnic diversity
>postmodern paradise
>there should never be a majority of any race or ethnic group in any country
Yugoslav ethnicities are very similar, and speak the same language for the most part.
We tried to kill each other with burning hatred.

Nation states formed FOR GOOD REASONS.
>>
File: candlelight.jpg (26 KB, 434x500) Image search: [Google]
candlelight.jpg
26 KB, 434x500
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Economy_of_the_Empire_of_Brazil

The Brazilian per capita income in 1880 was similar to the one of the United States[30] and in 1890 was of $770 (in 1990 US dollars).[31] To give an idea of the economic potential of the country during the Empire, if “it had been able to keep the level of productivity achieved in 1780 and managed to increase exports at a pace equal to the one verified in the second half of 19th century, its per capita income in 1950 would be comparable to the average per capita income the Western European countries, and the country would not have fallen so much behind the others”.[32] That is, at the beginning of the second half of the 20th century, the country would not only be richer, and the Brazilian people would have had a far higher standard of living than actually prevailed at that time. According to João de Scantimburgo, what "hindered the political, social and economical progress of Brazil was the First Republic [that began at the end of 1889], and its consequences stretched to the future".[33]

material development of the country, was not a period of the backwardness and stagnation with which it is still today charged by many who do not want to work to better learn and know about this period of our History. And the truth is that Brazil was, in fact, and righteously, in this and other aspects, the first Nation of Latin America. This hegemony it would keep until the last day of the Monarch
Shoot that teacher for me OP. Brazil's history is the biggest JUST of all time.
Brazil will never be great again.
>>
File: 1387662233681.jpg (190 KB, 1200x389) Image search: [Google]
1387662233681.jpg
190 KB, 1200x389
hello redd*t
>>
>>56578377
>Refusing to believe the news of Japan's surrender in the end of World War II, some of its most fanatic members used violence against those who did.
that's retarded
>>
>>56578377

Doesn't Brazil have the largest japanese population outside of Japan in the world?
>>
The closest thing to a model country regarding ethnic diversity is America or Canada.

America has diaspora of absolutely every race on Earth and apart from the whole poor blacks/hispanics vs everyone else, it seems to work relatively well compared to other countries that tried to forcefully integrate immigrants.

I personally can say that goods and bads exist. I grew up in North York region of Toronto, which is among the most diverse parts of the city.

It all comes down to one thing: assimilation. Race is not an absolute determinant of immigrant success, although European identity makes it easier to assimilate.
>>
>>56583427
Yes, but they are in SP state, which is a state so overpopulated it has more people in it than the whole Canada or Argentina.

So in the only place they are in big numbers, they are still a minority
>>
File: 1452920391491.gif (1 MB, 300x223) Image search: [Google]
1452920391491.gif
1 MB, 300x223
>>56576530
Your professor is retarded,anon. Brazil is not a model country. We still have a lot of racism and the darker of your skin here,the poorest you are.
>>
I just wish that our education system was better, I've always had this impression that everyone is so fucking ignorant and ill mannered because of the education system.
>>
>Brazil
>Paradise

Wel, then I dunno why I want to move to Canada.
Or maybe your teacher is an idiot.
>>
File: 1418144391000.gif (2 MB, 500x280) Image search: [Google]
1418144391000.gif
2 MB, 500x280
>>56576530
>>56577002
Memes apart, yes being a heterogeneous country is not bad. There isn't racism like in America or other places.

There's still poverty and prejudice against poor people, though. So it's not a social "paradise".

As in example, now. The class conflicts in Brazil are at their highest. The middle class wants Dilma to go and the poor class wants it to stay. People keep exaggerating and talking about a civil/class war boiling up.
>>
How much does it aggravate your shitty ass professor to know that objectively the best countries in the world are ethnically homogeneous.
>>
>>56586290
These countries are homogeneous because they are tiny
>>
Sorry I just got out of that class actually, I'll try to respond to people.

>>56581623

I asked him about Japan and he dodged.

>>56581488
bretty much

>>56581623
I asked him this too! I said in 500 years Brazil will be a homogeneous coffee color, won't it.

Dodged that too.

>>56582049
Inclined to agree. More capitalism than Zionists. But I don't think Jews are helping .

>>56582220
I think he's just talking on an ethnic level. Not economic or political.

>>56582297

That's a interesting point and one I wanted to bring up but couldn't... I'm pretty sure people just don't get along by nature.

Bringing in massive differences aggravates this unnecessarily.

>>56583551
I'm actually dual citizen of Canada. I don't like what I see when I visit, but people do tend to get along besides natives.

It just seems to make culture bland and people just start looking out for themselves and staying to their corner of the neighborhood. No one smiles. I don't see the enrichment except for some cool restaurants.

I think Ann Coulter said something like 90% of America's immigration came from one part of Europe about the size of texas. Gives "nation of immigrants" new meaning.

>>56577002
>>56578218
>>56580168
>>56581636
>>56582098
>>56583083
>>56583820
>>56584882

So is the diversity inherently problematic, or can it he fixed with education, structural reforms, anti-racist campaigns?

I think there are inherent problems with both homogeneous societies and heterogeneous ones, but I don't think there is anything wrong with homogenous societies, and you shouldn't force diversity on them like my professor is saying. Also, too much diversity seems to cause problems in my mind. My prof said white privilege is being able to walk out your door and meet other white people who speak English. First, how is that a privilege lol. And why us having 40,000 languages better??
>>
>>56576530
That's because you teacher never been here.

Brazil does portray itself as this free brown multicultural paradise where everyone holds hands and sings together.

But when you're inside Brazil, you start to realize how cruel and dystopian it is.
>>
>>56586465
That first response is to the wrong person. Sorry desu

Should be
>>56580601
>>
>>56586574
I'm glad you said that word. I don't necessarily mind multiculturalism to some degree, but I'm pretty dystopian about society. I don't think ethnic diversity is a panacea. Human society is just always gunna be dysfunctional. Multiculturalism is a way to paint an impossibly optimistic vision of the future. That's the main reason I resist it.
>>
File: 1435614614530.jpg (217 KB, 1600x1200) Image search: [Google]
1435614614530.jpg
217 KB, 1600x1200
indeed it is
>>
>>56587225
This pic is a great example of how I view the Northeast

I've never been there, but from the people I met I'm sure that's how it looks like
>>
>>56576530
Thanks doc.
>>
>>56581666
we're also one of the biggest economies in the world...
>>
>>56581666
A
>>
>>56586465
This is all bullshit, any heterogeneous society will eventually converge into a homogeneous one anyways.
Diversity isn't a bad thing in itself, but I think it is only good until a certain point. I don't like the idea of a country incorporating other cultures to the point of losing it's own identity, the world wouldn't be interesting then. Plus, it's like you said, this kind of things shouldn't be "forced".
>>
>>56576530
It's just strange to me how the US is so racist and Brasil just has ehhh racism. Black people in the US are genuinely sensitive about slavery still lol black brasilians don't even care. It's not like this aspect of our culture is more developed than the rest of the world, it all comes down to history. Funnily enough, we had (arguably) the most brutal version of slavery during the colonisation.
>>
>>56589225
>I don't like the idea of a country incorporating other cultures to the point of losing it's own identity

But the opposite happened in Brazil, our culture is a mix of african, portuguese and native brazilian's culture.

Literally, Samba and Carnaval(Just an example) are a mix of those 3 cultures.
>>
File: 1454461137979.png (1 MB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
1454461137979.png
1 MB, 1024x768
>>56576530
We are the most miscigenated country in the world, so it's pointless to talk about race. I'm not black, white or yellow.
>>
>>56589309
Probably because everyone fucked everyone in brasil while americans are only just now getting to know the joys of BBC
>>
File: 1456446343641.png (9 KB, 439x471) Image search: [Google]
1456446343641.png
9 KB, 439x471
>>56589442
I think it's great desu. Thank god the portuguese were ruthless and non prudish.
>>
>>56589442
> the joys of BBC
a fingolian beign faggot, so surprising...
>>
>>56576530
>>56589376
>>56589225
>>56589309
One major factor is that Brazil has created a national myth around the idea of being a sort of post-racial, racial democracy type of place. There's a famous book (I keep mentioning this book everytime this topic comes up, it's like the fourth time now) from the 1930s, Casa-Grande & Senzala (in English usually translated as The Masters and The Slaves), that was really influential in creating this type of thinking. It promoted the idea that just as Brazil had far more gradations of race due to "miscegenation", Brazil also has mixed the ancestral Portuguese, African, and AmerIndian cultures into a distinctly Brazilian culture. Compare that to the USA where as a society or at least in certain parts of society, there's still a lot of discomfort around accepting black people as an integral part of the American fabric. And it is really specifically around blackness too -- remember that the "he's not American" paranoid rhetoric around Obama wasn't due to him growing up in Indonesia, but due to him having a Kenyan father.
>>
File: 1411764909099.jpg (63 KB, 400x387) Image search: [Google]
1411764909099.jpg
63 KB, 400x387
http://msutoday.msu.edu/news/2013/study-asks-is-a-better-world-possible/
>“It’s not that local leaders and policymakers aren’t trying hard enough,” Neal said. “Rather, we now think it’s because the goals of integration and cohesion are just not compatible with each other.”
>The reason has to do with how people form relationships.

http://ose.utsc.utoronto.ca/ose/story.php?id=2135
>“Previous research shows people are less likely to feel connected to people outside their own ethnic groups, and we wanted to know why,”
>“The so-called mirror-neuron-system is thought to be an important building block for empathy by allowing people to ‘mirror’ other people’s actions and emotions; our research indicates that this basic building block is less reactive to people who belong to a different race than you,” says Inzlicht.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_D._Putnam#Diversity_and_trust_within_communities
>In recent years, Putnam has been engaged in a comprehensive study of the relationship between trust within communities and their ethnic diversity. His conclusion based on over 40 cases and 30,000 people within the United States is that, other things being equal, more diversity in a community is associated with less trust both between and within ethnic groups

http://journals.plos.org/plosone/article?id=10.1371/journal.pone.0095660
>Here we analyze how peaceful stability is maintained. Our analysis shows that peace does not depend on integrated coexistence, but rather on well defined topographical and political boundaries separating groups, allowing for partial autonomy within a single country
>Our analysis supports the hypothesis that violence between groups can be inhibited by physical and political boundaries

bonus vid: Frank Salter - Humanitarian Costs of Western Multiculturalism
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dwvkhIwjHhY

t.b.h.
>>
>>56589376
But that's something that happened when Brazil as country was born, it's literally what Brazil is. Samba and Carnaval may have been derived from other cultures, but it's essentially Brazillian.
What I don't like is the idea of, for example, Brazil receiving a fuckton of immigrants from elsewhere and ending up being a country totally different from what it used to be. People should assimilate and not take over.
>>
>>56589736
>cont
In Brazil, discrimination against blacks has also tended to operate at a sort of subconscious level whereas in the USA it was much more institutionalized and visible. The USA had redlining, sundown towns, poll taxes and poll tests, explicit segregation, bans on inter-racial marriage, and Jim Crow laws; most of these lasted until the 1960s de jure or even longer de facto. Brazil isn't quite the utopia of racial harmony that it is sometimes made out to be, but it has had far, far less in terms of legally enshrined discrimination.

tl;dr: Brazil has a national image around racial inclusiveness whereas whites in the USA have often enforced racial discrimination
>>
>>56589799

I think this is an important part of it, Brazilians forged their own identity, while most multi-ethnic places always have the problem of "us" and "them".

No doubt it probably happens in Brazil too, but less so than in the U.S or modern European states who already have established national identities.
>>
>>56590075
this>>56589846
>>
>>56586179
>poor class wants it to stay
Not anymore. It finally noticed how terrible her government is and how they were the most affected by the recession.
Thread replies: 76
Thread images: 10

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.