[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Learning a first second language
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /int/ - International

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2
Don't know whether to learn Spanish, Portuguese or Old Norse, or to try doing all three in a cycle on different days

ON is the one I'm most interested in, but there's also the 2016 olympics coming up so I wanted to learn some Port for that
>>
>>56561296
You have enough time to learn portuguese before the olympics. Do that.
The rest can wait.
[spoiler] That is if you study daily [/spoiler]
>>
>>56561296
>first second language
>>
>>56561333
mission accepted

Should I study some spanish on the side (maybe a couple times a week) or just wait until after the olympics for that? I imagine they'd be easy to learn either in conjunction or back to back
>>
>>56561296
No yeah totally learn old Norse! Go for it buddy! What a way to invest your time and energy! By speaking a dead language literally nobody around you understands! GTFO with your edgy bullshit. Learn Spanish you idiot. It's far more practical considering you live in the U.S. and, you know, it's NOT A DEAD LANGUAGE.
>>
>>56561398
Hey, not everything people do is for comparing themselves to others. And art is often lost in translation (so I hear), and I'd love to read the Saga's and about mushroom trips and vikings in an older language. I'm not doing this practicality, obviously.

Calm down buddy :-)
>>
>>56561387
Just wait.
Spanish will come easier once you have already learned portuguese.
The languages are similar enough so that you might confuse yourself between the two.
>>
>>56561506
Ok, thanks man! Portuguese it is.
>>
>>56561476
Fairly certain you'll get the gist of the sagas through the translations. The loss of meaning will be marginal next to the effort you'll put into learning Old Norse.
>>
>>56561541
Some resources to get you started:

duolingo.com
http://www.conjuga-me.net/en/
http://www.wordreference.com/enpt/
>>
>>56561296
>not starting at age 6-10
you're too late

also
>learning subhuman languages
>>
File: USPresidents.jpg (26 KB, 600x450) Image search: [Google]
USPresidents.jpg
26 KB, 600x450
>>56561637
>German
>Using the word "subhuman"
>>
>>56561637
I hope it will start me on a path of learning many languages. Don't bash my humble beginnings.
>>
>>56562224
Spanish is a beautiful language. And it's very complex, so I wouldn't call that "humble beginnings". It's very romantic, unlike German. Good luck, hope you enjoy it
>>
>>56561637
>muh critical period

>>56561296
Old Norse is pretty denk, but good luck finding the resources.

I'd probably go with Spanish, but if I were you, I'd get my feet wet with Spanish and Portuguese and seeing which one I'd like to develop on more. As far as usability goes, Spanish is definitely spoken more than Port, and the places where they speak is generally overlap.
>>
>>56561296

I can't fathom why the fuck you'd ever want to learn Norse. If you're that much of a muh heritage Scandiboo why don't you just learn Arabic so you can visit Sweden?
>>
>>56562344
Yeah I agree with Spanish being far more applicable, but the 2016 summer olympics are coming up and I want to be there for them
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.