[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Whats it like being fluently bilingual
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /int/ - International

Thread replies: 80
Thread images: 6
File: 1453961345086.png (1 MB, 1080x1080) Image search: [Google]
1453961345086.png
1 MB, 1080x1080
Whats it like being fluently bilingual
>>
جيد جدا ، يا صديقي
>>
Dunno, I'm a fluent trilingual.

But that feels good brah
>>
It's shit if you know a useless language and no one to talk to, but it's nice being able to speak to other people
>>
>>56481481
english is all you need to be desu with you senpai
>>
>mfw trilingual

In real life it's entirely pointless desu
>>
Dunno, whats it like being fluently monolingual?
>>
>be me
>speak english
>sorta speak spanish, french, german, icelandic
>not properly fluent in any of them

feels bad. need to go live in another cunt and get fluent desu
>>
>>56481624
German and Austrian only count as one mate
>>
>>56481481
like a bag of sand and salty coins
>>
Obviously it's a whole different world for those of us who live in a non-anglo state. For you it probably wouldn't make much of a difference.

That said, I speak French from home as well, so I guess your 2nd language would be like my French... it's neat to have it, and I like peeking at French news sites and such and seeing how the French people perceive the world, but it doesn't have much practical use. In France itself though, when I visited it, it's a completely different experience than what my friends who did not speak the language had. It's an immediate connection with a person if you can talk to them "on their terms", you will receive a different treatment. Plus you usually get extra points for being a foreigner who made the effort to speak their language.
>>
>>56481481
But anon, I'm fluently trilingual. Although I am learning German too, so I'm getting there with quadlingual.
>>
File: 1454311391763.jpg (83 KB, 640x597) Image search: [Google]
1454311391763.jpg
83 KB, 640x597
>Mfw I think I may be better at english because I rarely leave the apartment so most of the conversations I have are in english with people online
Anyone know this feel?
>>
>>56482643
diaspora retard
>>
>>56481624
>>56481699
german and austrian but whats the third one?
>>
It's ok I guess
>>
>>56481481
dont know mate, i guess it would feel less awesome than being trilingual like me
>>
>>56481584
>Brazilian
Fluent in any language.
>>
>>56484486
>Austrian
>Language
>>
>2016
>not speaking at least 3 languages fluently
>>
>>56484734
ikr, how could they expect to see the light of Allah(The Exceedingly Merciful) without knowing the language of the Prophet(PBUH)
>>
>>56481481
It's hard. As for you, you've got the relevant language skills, but I haven't got. So I learn English.
>>
>>56481481

It's like this. Conversations you normally didn't understand before suddenly become known to you. Therefore when people speak it around you they assume you don't understand what they are saying, so they say things they wouldn't say around you and you hear things you never wanted to hear or know.

It's like flicking the lights on and seeing a cockroach skitter across the room, now you have to try and sleep with that knowledge.
>>
>>56481481
English by itself is enough in most cases anyway.
>>
>>56484734
Hmmmmm, maybe I can't. I've also been Hebrew though.
However, English, Hebrew, and Japanese are very different from each other in Grammer, pronunciation, and characters.
The languages you've learnt are Indo-European, so you could be sure they're easy.
>>
>>56485097
Rare flag detected
>>
>>56481481
It's like understanding more, but mastering none (unless you pick it as a profession).
>>
>>56485030

>t. gringo who knows Spanish
>>
>>56481481
You get to shit talk English monolingual cunts.
>>
>>56481481
I can get double the memes
>>
do catalan and spanish count as two separate ones?
>>
>>56484526
same here senpai
>>
>>56485434
Maybe yes. They're different from each other.
>>
>>56485334
>implying there're good memes on /lat/

>>56485434
ets català? o només "muh heritage"?
>>
>>56485434
yes, but memers will say no

they are as different as Spanish and Portuguese, maybe more
>>
>>56482684
Yes :^)
>>
>>56485499
no, però m'encanta catalunya
i jo prefereixo català
>>
>>56481481
dunno im fluent on 4 and soon to be 5
>>
>>56485793
What language do you speak?
>>
>>56485334
>I can get double the shitpost
you must be proud
>>
>>56485862
spanish english portuguese 日本語 and learning korean

i promise you im not a weeb

pls believe
>>
Frustrating
The only time I speak in english is talking alone like a tard
>>
>>56485980
fuck off weeb
>>
>>56486123
kyc
>>
It's crazy
I was born in the Philippines and when we moved to Australia, I still spoke Filipino at home with family and I'm sure I know English way better than Filipino at this point.

>go to Germany for year long exchange
>don't know any Filipinos there
>speak Filipino only when skyping parents
>rest of time is spent speaking English or German
>one day my friend introduces me to a Filipino dude in her German class
>he starts speaking Filipino to me

It was a weird feeling. When I started speaking Filipino it was like a huge weight was taken off my shoulders or like I was back home again.

It's kinda how people draw associations between the languages they speak, so for me English was strictly between friends/uni/work and Filipino being family only meant when I heard someone speak it to me face to face after 8-9 months, it felt kind of intimate no homo

And I don't really find speaking English to take effort really, but at that point it felt like all the swapping between German and English made it feel like an effort.
>>
>>56486483
yes

I speak spanish in day to day life
My uni classes are in english and the parties are also in english
japanese with my gf only
portuguese in vacations because i go to brazil everytime i am free
>>
>>56481481
Sometimes I think in english, sometimes French, and sometimes there's a little german who's coming too

It's also making my learning of Russian much easier
>>
>>56481481
can look down upon monosavages
>>
File: 1457925709302.jpg (13 KB, 234x215) Image search: [Google]
1457925709302.jpg
13 KB, 234x215
>>56485980
>>
>>56481481
I'm fluent in 2 (bilingual from birth) + English (quite thick accent and probably some grammar errors here and there but generally I understand everything)
Being fluent in, or at least understanding multiple languages gives you the insight into those particular cultures in a way you couldn't without knowing the language. Theres alot in the way people speak and use their language that reflects their mindset and outlooks on life as a collective. So being monolingual leaves you off with a very limited understanding of the use of language in general, the richness of different perspectives in different cultures and it's probably alot harder to evaluate your own culture and language objectively.
>>
>>56485980
Some of them are different in characters. You're great.

>>56486123
>>56486796
Stop it, cunt.
>>
Hindi
English
Marathi
Sanskrit
Telugu
Tamil
French
Spanish
Latin
A dab of Greek

fite me faggots
>>
it's hard to explain
When you first start learning a language, or even if you're not learning any, it's a lot like "wooooow this is so... mystical.... ethereal... they speak in tongues...."
but as you get better, the language stops being "foreign" and it unfortunately loses all of its mystical exotic qualities. It's just another set of words you can read and derive meaning from.
It's kinda heartbreaking really, seeing something that used to be exciting become mundane.

Suddenly the Japanese guy saying moon runes seems a lot less cool when you realize he's talking about what kind of juice he likes
>>
Probably entirely depends on your language pair and host cunt.

Being fully bilingual in sushi and burger is pretty useless around these parts. I'd be pretty set if I lived in Japan, though.
>>
File: 1422492151946.jpg (35 KB, 331x468) Image search: [Google]
1422492151946.jpg
35 KB, 331x468
>be trilingual
>be socially retarded

It feels good to be able to speak multiple languages, but it's such a waste of knowledge when I don't even communicate that much
>>
Being fluent in foreign languages is over rated. Now living right next to two countries with similar languages, that's the best part.
>He'll never get drunk with a swedebro and a danebro and still manage to communicate through the addeled slurs
I don't envy you m8
>>
>>56493398
Impressive.

Now learn Finnish and join the Mean Meme Crew (trademark pending).
>>
File: 1442890790287.jpg (41 KB, 700x700) Image search: [Google]
1442890790287.jpg
41 KB, 700x700
>tfw Fluent in 4 Languages

Feels good
>>
>>56497045
French?
>>
It depends on context, not understanding English in a western country makes you sort of retarded, fluency basically means just having a larger vocabulary than the standard speaker.
It's competely different than being fluent in one extra language that can actually get you a job.
>>
Spanish
Catalan
English
I can understand some Latin thanks to highschool but I don't think it counts

I could have studied greek and french or german in highschool, feels bad to have ignored them.
>>
>>56498340
>Latin
How we can be sure about rightly pronounce of Latin words?
>>
>>56497183
>fluency basically means just having a larger vocabulary than the standard speaker
Not really, fluency is more about not needing to think before expressing yourself in a language, and not needing to think about what you've been told to derive meaning from it.

For example, French speakers automatically start out learning English with much more vocabulary than speakers of perhaps any other language, due to all the shared roots. And yet most of us are still shit at speaking English - because we completely fail to use this vocabulary in an efficient way in sentences. (and pronounce it properly)

Vocabulary is part of fluency, obviously, but it's not the most important aspect, I think. You can be fluent in English and not know what words like kerfuffle, flummoxed, idiosyncratic and defenestrate mean.
>>
>>56493398
Are you Brahmin? Why learn sanskrit?
>>
Not as good as being trilingual.
>>
>>56484584
>be me
>go to portugal with two german friends
>try to communicate in english with the locals
>they can't even keep simple conversations in english

why you embarrass me so much Portugal, I thought you were at least european level proficiency
>>
>>56497174
No
>>
>>56498502
Almost same pronunciation as romanic languages, if you only speak russian and english it may be hard...
In my case, is the same as spanish but:
v are pronounced as u
all the g are pronounced soft as "gola" not harsh as "magenta"
all the "c" are the english "k"
"ch" is is "k" too
"ll" is like catalan "l·l" (similar to the word alergic)
"ph" is "f" like in english
"gu" unlike spanish you must pronounce the u always
"x" is like "makes" (i know is make, just add an s) (dux = duks)

that's all i can remember, if you can speak a romanic language is almost identical, if not idk how hard can it be. Hope it helps.
>>
>>56498968
Dommage
>>
>>56481481
I don't know. I speak English and French, but I rarely if ever have any use for French since I moved out of Quebec.
>>
>>56498502
>How we can be sure about rightly pronounce of Latin words?
Well, we can't be sure about exact accents, but there are plenty of ways to know.

First of all, I think Latin has a bunch of recorded writing that talks about its own language - scholars have been documenting the language, I mean, so that's a good indication.

Another thing which is pretty important to understanding Latin pronunciation is mispelling. If someone was to write, I don't know, "Saesar" instead of "Caesar", you would think "well, I guess c and s sound the same, then". (note: I don't know if that's actually the case in Latin, that's a random example because I don't know much Latin)
>>
>be american
>be the only american who is fluent in german, spanish, and estonian
>>
>fluent
lol, I wonder how many of you actually speak a foreign language on the level of a native speaker... most of the people who boast of proficiency in many languages are typically just able to string some basic sentences together, with an awful accent to boot
>>
File: fox1.jpg (74 KB, 880x586) Image search: [Google]
fox1.jpg
74 KB, 880x586
>>56499091
Thanks!
>>
>>56500896
>estonian
>more useless than finnish
literally why
>>
My parents are American and have been talking English to me since birth so I don't have a strange accent. It feels pretty good.
>>
>deaf
>know sign language and english
>use both daily

feels boring desu
>>
>>56502756
>Deaf
How is life without music?
>>
It's kinda weird when I sitting here in hours and then ananswer my parents in English that they don't speak, or after playing games like Gta I call my friend and tell him "Watsup man?" instead of "privet, kak ty?" just because my mind still thinking English. Especially if speak with folks who don't know it. Even now I realize that after all the sentences I wrote here I need a few seconds to understand how it translates to my native language, but I don't thought about it while I was writing: I was just writing. But, as for me, other languages is still a mystery: I know that native speaker would write it in other way with different words and punctuation and I still can't realize how it is while you can't write Russian because it's the language I learned since I was born and I still need a translator while I see some words I don't know, and they don't because they never used other languages like my. So, that's kinda weird, I guess.
>>
>>56503870

fine, to be honest. you dont care if you dont really know it.

i dont understand the obsession some people have with it. its just sounds.
Thread replies: 80
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.