[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Question for Italians:
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /int/ - International

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 4
File: 1457520224816.jpg (70 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
1457520224816.jpg
70 KB, 640x480
Does anyone in Italy have Roman names anymore? I don't mean Roman-sounding or derived, I mean unchanged Roman, like Flavius, Gaius, Marcus, etc.

How about last names? Do -ius endings still exist among modern Italians?
>>
Vulgar Latin modified the endings of words, so naturally it had an influence on names.

you might want to see this : https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vulgar_Latin
>>
>>56435284
I know about vulgar Latin and how names like Marius changed to Mario in Vulgar Latin and modern Italian, but I'm asking if there still exist people who name their kids classical Latin names (Marius, Gaius, Marco, etc.) just because they want to, rather than V.Latin/Italian endings (-o).

Have you ever seen anyone with a Classical Roman/Latin name, and if so how common are they?
>>
>>56435429
>Latin names (Marius, Gaius, Marco, etc.)
Should be
>Latin names (Marius, Gaius, Marcus, etc.)

Woops.
>>
>>56435284
>>
>>56435429
Marius maybe, I know it exists here.
>>
>>56435222
yes, most common names are either semitic, roman or germanic
>>
>>56435748
I think he means in their original form.

Also does Italy have a list of pre-approved names that parents can name their children or can parents just name them whatever?
>>
>>56436219
>original form

of course not

>pre-approved list

no, but awkward names are forbidden I think
>>
>>56435429
I had a classmate on elementary school named Marius. Both he and his parents were total autismals and he was bullied.
>>
>>56436389
So you've never seen a Marcus, or Flavius, or Marius or Gaius in Italy?

And never a last name that ended in -ius?
>>
>>56436580
>Marius
We have those, especially in the south.
>Marcus, Flavius
Marc, Flavien
>Gaius
no
>>
>>56435222
Nope, never heard of them
>>
>>56436580
no, that doesn't make any sense
>>
Belgian and Dutch names are annoying.

You THINK you know how to pronounce Roel, but then when you show him how you pronounce it, you're miles off.

And don't get me started on Polish, Grzegorz.
>>
>>56436919
Polish ortography is actually LESS retarded than the english one.
t. Best ortography in the world
>>
>>56435222
We do. Antonio is the most common male name. But there are Flavio, Flavia, Marcos, Mario, César, Félix, Patricia, Sergio, Valerio, Victor,...
>>
>>56435284

so, we did our part then
>>
File: 841805.jpg (40 KB, 580x435) Image search: [Google]
841805.jpg
40 KB, 580x435
Italians are to romans what mexicans are to aztecs
>>
>>56436969
I mean with the Classical Latin endings, though -ius, so Flavius, Marius, Valerius, etc.

I thought maybe in Italy at least some people might use the Classical names to harken back to Roman times.
>>
>>56435222
We have a ton of Marius and Anton and Claudiu and Claudia and Florian and Iulian and Iuliana and Iustin, etc.
>>
File: LatinDeclension.png (80 KB, 1579x799) Image search: [Google]
LatinDeclension.png
80 KB, 1579x799
>>56435222

Almost all italian names are the ablative case of the latin original name, the -ius final is only the nominative
>>
>>56435222

True Latin names like that are mostly conserved in the rest of Europe. They've died out in Italy.

For example Magnus is a really popular name here.
>>
Marius is now Mario
Marcus is now Marco
Gaius is now Gaia for females, not for males because gaio means gay

The originals don't exist anymore

Top names for kids now
http://www.paginainizio.com/nomi/nomidiffusi.php
>>
>>56435429
Marius is a very stereotypical southern name here
Also considering the names you hear sometimes (yesterday i hear a mother calling her kid like "Lancelot come here" are you serious ? and that's far from the worst) I'm sure you can very easily find special snowflakes who name their kids Julius, Marcus, Lucius ...

Mostly the names have been Frenchified though like Marcus->Marc or Flavius->Flavien
>>
File: 7e7.jpg (62 KB, 600x516) Image search: [Google]
7e7.jpg
62 KB, 600x516
>>56439292
>Top names for kids now
>Not Muhammad

Jokes aside, newborn top names in Spain include some muslim ones.
Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.