[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Finn who wants to study in Sapporo, Japan. What should I expect
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /int/ - International

Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 8
File: karte-6-389.gif (102 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
karte-6-389.gif
102 KB, 600x600
Finn who wants to study in Sapporo, Japan.

What should I expect and any general tips
>>
File: 1457754119214.png (57 KB, 500x382) Image search: [Google]
1457754119214.png
57 KB, 500x382
>tfw no qt ainu gf
>>
>>56367619
Speaking of which, do you know if Sapporo has a large Ainu population?
>>
>>56367574
I haven't visited Hokkaido yet, but I've been told that it is like a westernized-Japan. People in Hokkaido are apparently less introverted and more friendly and open than the average Japanese.
>>
>>56367864
Sounds good! Living in Finland, I've become accustomed to extremely introverted people, but generally I'd like to be able to sit next to another person on the bus without getting weird looks.
>>
Why would a Finn wants to study in Hokkaido?
You already have the cold, snownigger.
>>
>>56368077
Uh, I'm gonna assume that's a legitimate question.

I'm interested in international relations and living abroad is highly regarded, when looking for work in that field.

Also I've always been interested in the Far-East. I guess the fact that it's just so different is what fascinates me the most about it. I picked Japan because China and other South-East asian countries seem boring compared to Japan.

Also I feel like i should add that I'm not a weaboo... so there, wannabe french/dutchnigger
>>
>>56368077
Also i know china isn't in south-east asia. that was a typo
>>
>>56367574
except for snow and coldness and ramen, nothing is different from any other regions in japan.
>>
>>56368368
Assuming I know nothing about Japan, could you maybe tell me about some general ethics when interacting with the Japanese?
>>
>>56367574
overrun by team galactic dont bother
>>
>>56367574
Cold

Cold people

Cold cities

Overall like Northern Europe
>>
File: susukino-intersection.jpg (793 KB, 1200x782) Image search: [Google]
susukino-intersection.jpg
793 KB, 1200x782
>>56367574
Have a happy time in Susukino
>>
>>56367864
I was born in Sapporo and that's not the stereotype.

People from Hokkaido are more Westernized, but I see them as being like Northern Europeans (Germans/Nords). At least that's how my Mom says it is.
>>
File: odori_gy01.jpg (559 KB, 1350x900) Image search: [Google]
odori_gy01.jpg
559 KB, 1350x900
>>
File: nikka.png (131 KB, 418x552) Image search: [Google]
nikka.png
131 KB, 418x552
>>56369258
>>
Have lived and worked in Sapporo also know some ppl at Sapporo university AMA
>>
Can you even speak Japanese?
>>
>>56369728
I'm mostly intersted about any social norms that are not so accepted in Japan compared to Europe. Also how is the night life?
>>
>>56367677
From what I read, the Ainu are dead. The only ones left are the some 25,000 WE WUZ and MUH HERITAGE nips. They self-identity as Ainu, and often bear a striking similarity, but are mixed as fuck.
>>
>>56369787
I'll be an exchange student. Naturally I don't need to speak Japanese. I do however know the very basics.
>>
>>56369884
there is nothing special about Sapporo compared to the rest of japan. As a student you will not have the pressure of social norms anyways I guess just be polite and respekt the locals. Nightlife is amazing but it really depends on how much money you want to spend. But you can get nomihodais ( all you can drink) for 2h for 2000-3500 yes pretty much anywhere. And susukino is amazing for barhopping. I really recommand the smaller "weird" bars in the departmentstores than the actual clubs. There are 2 clubs without entrance fees but they are both shit. What we did is we where going to the apartmentbuildings in Sususkino and just went to to random bar they can get up to 14 floor and vary between 2-7 bars per floor. But susukino is about 40 minutes away from the campus by walk so prepare to take a taxi wich is expensive if you have to take one alone or just walk.
>>
>>56369975
>Naturally I don't need to speak Japanese.
Unless you want to be able to speak to an actual Japanese person.
>>
>>56370146
Sounds like a place I'll like! Clubs are fine every now and then, but generally not my thing. The bar crawling sounds fun though!
>>
>>56370283
I'm sure I'll manage. If every exchange student ever had to fluently learn the language, there would be no exchange students.
>>
>>56370406
It is and sapporo also got some of the best food in japan and i comparable pretty cheap.

What I can also reccomand to get some local friends is. go to the International Communicationplaza (right over the street at the cocktower close to odoripark) and write you infos down at the pinboars. Mostly its for getting a language partner but since no sane person will every lern english you can use it to "teach" english to get some chicks or if you really want to lern japanese. every tuesday there is also a gathering for ppl who wants to lern english. Go there its fun and you will get to know some ppl.

Sapporo is easy to make friends.
>>
>>56369363
Interesting, are you Japanese?
>>
>>56370664
Sounds really nice! Maybe I'll try the "teaching" of English hahah
>>
>>56370475

or they would just hang out with other foreigners. actually, that's exactly what foreigners in japan do
>>
>>56371195
I guess I'll see.
>>
File: 1457875469995.jpg (72 KB, 720x690) Image search: [Google]
1457875469995.jpg
72 KB, 720x690
>>
So what is the story with Ainus? Recommend some legit reading on them?
t. Different anon
>>
>>56371634
>>
>>56371882
Japanese forced them to work and relocated them. Most are mixed now and only a view live on hokkaido. Most where forced to work in mines in Tohoku ( Upper Honshu). But funny though most Citynames in Hokkaido are still the original Names in Ainu language such as Sapporo, Chitose, Otaru ect. But they still use kanji for those citynames wich is funny because most japanese cant read the citynames. This way its easy to find out who is a really Dosanko ( a hokkaido born japanese).
>>
>>56371882
Long story short they're basically the Japanese version of Native Americans. They also have bears as pets. Pretty indteresting desu
>>
File: i.imgur.com_wi5tQl6.gif (2 MB, 390x224) Image search: [Google]
i.imgur.com_wi5tQl6.gif
2 MB, 390x224
>>56371953
Do you love 猫?
>>
>>56369428

what's good nikka?
>>
>>56372413
え私は猫が大好きです。
アニメが好きですか?
>>
>>56372041
>These entire information
Why did you make fantasy story about country you don't know anything?
>>
>>56371882
Ainu are one of the descendants of Japanese indigenous lived in WHOLE part of Japan. After new people from mainland Asia gradually crossed sea to Japan in 10~3rd century B.C. , the indigenous were pushed out to the edge of Japan (Tohoku and Kyushu) and only the descendant of them who went to Tohoku are called Ainu. Some of them went to Hokkaido too.

Since Japanese people from Honshu settled in Hokkaido only 150 years ago (except for Hakodate, Southern most part of Hokkaido), most of the Japanese live in Hokkaido are not mixed with Ainu. Most Ainu mixed region is actually Tohoku.
>>
>>56370146
>there is nothing special about Sapporo compared to the rest of japan.
Are you kidding? The streets of Sapporo are completely different from other cities of Japan. The central part of the city has grid roads like North American cities. It is still Japanese city, but one of the most westernized one.
>>
File: Sapporo.jpg (547 KB, 1024x644) Image search: [Google]
Sapporo.jpg
547 KB, 1024x644
>>56367574
Sapporo is nice place.
You will live happily unlike shitty fucking city Tokyo
You have only to be careful of blown bear
Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.