[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
German colonies
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /int/ - International

Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 4
File: Deutsche_Kolonien.png (189 KB, 1280x625) Image search: [Google]
Deutsche_Kolonien.png
189 KB, 1280x625
There is a lot of discussion here about former British, French and Portuguese colonies but German colonization is rarely discussed.
Here in India we were taught in school about all the major colonizers as mentioned above but I don't remember there ever being a mention of German colonies in Africa.

https://www.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_former_German_colonies
https://www.wikipedia.org/wiki/German_colonization_of_Africa
>>
Togolese people are pretty cool - I've met a few and they have consistently been some of the nicest, best-integrated sub-Saharan African immigrants.

That being said, there seems to be nothing left of German colonialism in their culture. Some of them didn't even know they used to be a German colony, and they all spoke French, so... yeah.

I expect Namibia to be a bit more aware of their German heritage, but not by much.
>>
I know some guys from Togo who fled here to Germany. They all have a job and speak German fairly well.
>>
Unified Germany is such a new entity that they really didn't have a time to establish world wide empire. Like the frenchie said, France pretty much conquered (together with England) most of German colonies and after WW1 they lost it all.
>>
>>56349363

What about Austria-Hungary? They had a pretty big empire, don't recall them having colonies.
>>
>>56349363
They was bad colonialist and killed 6 gorillions jews, that is why they need to take 8 gorillions refugees for their sins.
>>
Why don't we talk about Denmark's colonies in India?
>>
Barbaric tribes suck at establishing and keeping colonies

Thus why goymoney got colonised itself
>>
>>56350615
>POLAND telling US we got colonized

KEK
The best part of Poland is German, face it, Wojciech
>>
>>56349363
I know niggers from Togo, Cameroon and Namibia. Thank God that we didn't get more colonies. I don't know how the French and Brits can live with those "people" in one country.
>>
They were taken by the UK as a consequence of World War 1.

Some of Germany's Pacific posessions were taken by Japan after the same war. These eventually became part of the USA (Northern Marianas) or part of some odd mostly-independent-but-protected-by-the-USA status (Marshall Islands, Micronesia, Palau).
>>
>>56349577
They had Sabah and the Nicobar Islands I believe.
>>
File: Tranquebar_1600.jpg (35 KB, 549x252) Image search: [Google]
Tranquebar_1600.jpg
35 KB, 549x252
>>56349412
>>56349433
Were the locals offered citizenship, like the French did with Africans and Indians or like the Portuguese did with Goans.

>>56350518
There is surprisingly little about Danish India even among the Indian history books. As the Frenchanon said, the Brits and the French were the major forces back then and the Danes had to give in.
>>
>>56349363
Because you probably live longer on this planet than Germany had "colonies"
>>
The wife's son's dad is Togolese. Nice chap
>>
>>56349363
There were German colonies in Russia.
I have visited one several week ago, there is still working lutheranian church.
>>
>>56350753
Flag related, it's the Northern Mariana Islands'.
>>
>>56350841

>a fucking salt shaker
>>
I never even knew part of PNG was once german until now.
>In early 1914, the German government sent Detzner to explore and chart the interior of Kaiser-Wilhelmsland, the imperial protectorate on the island of New Guinea.
>When World War I broke out in Europe, he was well into the interior and without radio contact. He refused to surrender to Australian troops when they occupied German New Guinea, concealing himself in the jungle with a band of approximately 20 soldiers.
>For four years, Detzner and his troops provocatively marched through the bush, singing "Watch on the Rhine" and flying the German Imperial flag.
kek
>>
>>56349363
They were late to the game and barely got any colonies. The ones they did get were all confiscated after WWI.

They did a good job developing the colonies they did have, though. A lot of German architecture remains in Qingdao, for example. And the brewery that the Germans founded there is still the largest in China.

In Namibia there is a tiny German-speaking minority, but I think that's all that remains of the German attempt at colonisation.
>>
>>56350776
If I remember correctly, natives in French colonies - with the exceptions of places like French Guiana, Martinique & Guadeloupe which were already overseas departments by the 40's - generally didn't have French citizenship, but it was possible to acquire it in some ways - though I imagine that would mean giving up the local law of their own country & culture, probably having to study in the metropole, etc.
>>
Germany sucks.
>>
>>56352367
Syrian dicks
>>
>>56350866

Checked
>>
Namibia is pretty neat for African standards. Some of them just get a bit mad from time to time cause we genocided them a little bit back in 1904.

Apart from that we didn't leave that much of an impact in the other colonies which isn't necessarily bad cause it would just increase our historical guilt complex
>>
>>56349363
The Germans didn't colonize in search of new reources and markets to exploit - all the prime spots were already taken. They colonized for prestige, because a great power was supposed to have colonies. They were basically the nicest colonizers, which is kind of like being the nicest bully.
>>
The people from the former German colonies do not recall ever being part of Germany for the simple reason that Germany had never forced their culture onto the natives, like UK, France, and Portugal.

Germans didn't settle Togo, Tanganyka or Kamerun. Those places were used mainly for exploration purposes, where they sent scientific teams to investigate plants, animals, and different races of humankind. Also, the Kilimandschar mountain.

The only place extensively settled was Namibia, where they tried various stuff, including building a navigable canal between Namibia and Tanganyka, later proven unfit for the job.

For some reasons behind my understanding, Papua New Guinea was also extensively settled. But it might be due to the seaman station there that brought their families along

t colonies master
>>
>>56352710
>nicest colonisers
>totally the Oshiwambo massacre never happened

Okay Olaf
>>
>>56352959
Oshivambo is a language you spaghetti nigger. Also they asked for it.
>>
>>56350951
>For four years, Detzner and his troops provocatively marched through the bush, singing "Watch on the Rhine" and flying the German Imperial flag.
ayyyyy
>>
File: spice_trade.jpg (27 KB, 476x309) Image search: [Google]
spice_trade.jpg
27 KB, 476x309
https://www.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spice_trade
It seems so strange that the acquisition of spices was responsible for the discovery of all these sea routes in the 17th/18th century.
Not oil, not gold, not diamonds but spices.
>The success of Dutch and English traders in the 17th century spice trade was a source of envy among Danish and Norwegian merchants
Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.