[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Would learning Esperanto enable me to do anything else besides
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /int/ - International

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 5
File: Flag_of_Esperanto.svg.png (5 KB, 600x400) Image search: [Google]
Flag_of_Esperanto.svg.png
5 KB, 600x400
Would learning Esperanto enable me to do anything else besides talking to other autistic people on the internet? Is it true that China is supporting Esperanto so that people don't have to learn Mandarin to do business with them and stuff?
>>
File: P024.png (303 KB, 480x641) Image search: [Google]
P024.png
303 KB, 480x641
>learning any other language than English
>2016
>>
>>56343598
I want to learn a language for fun. Because English is so dominant, other languages aren't really that helpful to me. At least with Esperanto, apparently it helps you with a lot of language skills because it is so easy to learn you can just focus on practicing the skills that are universal to learning all languages. This video elaborates on what I'm trying to say. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8gSAkUOElsg
>>
>>56343455
>Would learning Esperanto enable me to do anything else besides talking to other autistic people on the internet?

No.

/thread
>>
are you a filthy chinese?
>>
>>56343455
There used to be an artificial language of science. I forget what it was called. It had actual journals published in it. But Esperanto has become something of a meme, though it doesn't have much applicability in the real world. It'll let you meet like-minded people but it isn't really so useful. I haven't heard about any recent attempts to revive it at the state level. There probably are "real" publications in Esperanto as well, but English has consumed most artificial languages. Everything is published in English in the same way that everything used to be published in French and German.

Simple English is now the world's lingua franca, especially for business. If your goal is to be able to speak with as many people as possible, then brushing up on Spanish, French, and Mandarin is probably the way to go. I know some French and a little Mandarin, and it honestly goes a long way towards just talking to randoms.
>>
No you can stay at the houses of autistic communists for free (Passportu Servu or something idk) and go meet other Esperanto speakers at conventions in mid sized cities in central Europe and Brazil.
>>
>>56343749
volapuk?
>>
>speaking the linguistic jew
>>
>>56343749
It's Latin
>>
>>56343916
But it's not Hebrew.
>>
My short answer for you is that eaperanto is a "hobby" language. My long answer involves the fact that i will be working for UEA in the netherlands thanks to speaking eo . So some paid work does exist and yes its mostly in china. Will post more when i get off work. Gxis op bonan lernadon
>>
>>56343455
It could help you if you intend on doing some world traveling. There are Esperanto speakers in just about every country, so you have the possibility of finding a host there that you can communicate with (i.e. couchsurfing.com, or Pasporta Servo) I HAVE noticed Esperanto speakers are getting harder and harder to find as the years have gone by, so YMMV.

Other than that, you might be better off learning Spanish.
>>
>>56343952
No I didn't mean Latin. I think it might be Interlingua but I don't really care to figure out if I'm right.
>>
>>56343749
German used to be considered "the language of science". Then Hitler happened.
>>
>>56343959
That will be Yiddish. Hebrew was the language of the semitic people of Judea.
>>
File: infanoj el ĉinio esperantumas.jpg (70 KB, 960x636) Image search: [Google]
infanoj el ĉinio esperantumas.jpg
70 KB, 960x636
Okay, I'm back >>56344098

Chances are the main thing you will be using it for is talking to other nerds online. Personally I really enjoy doing that so I'm not bothered by this "limitation", and really, alot of Esperanto speakers are surprisingly normie and although there are more men than women into Esperanto, it's not a huge gap. For me it's been an easy way to make friends and socialize with people.

>Is it true that China is supporting Esperanto so that people don't have to learn Mandarin to do business with them and stuff?

I'm not exactly sure what China is doing with Esperanto or why, but China has a pretty big presence in the Esperanto-speaking "world" (Esperantujo) and one of the major news sources/radio stations in Esperantujo is from China, as well as one of the most popular magazines. I believe that the makers of these are employed by the government. If you know who Evildea is, he made a vid about being offered a job with them when he visited China. But yeah in addition to this there are always pics of schoolkids and stuff in China learning Esperanto; I don't really know why. I have met more Chinese people through Esperanto than I have IRL or on /int/, but they're hard to chat with because they tend to use different chat programs than are popular in the west.

Aside from helping you meet an increased amount of Chinese, Brazilian, and Hungarian people, Esperanto is mainly good just as a socializing hobby and as a way to familiarize yourself with language-learning. I was already bilingual before learning Esperanto but I would say that Esperanto has definitely helped me with learning other languages since then. It's helped me get over some grammatical concepts that probably would have been confusing to me if they hadn't been introduced to me on easy-mode via Eo. Also, over the years I simply have grown to find Eo to be a beautiful language so I tend to be an advocate for its use.
>>
>>56344102
>I HAVE noticed Esperanto speakers are getting harder and harder to find as the years have gone by, so YMMV.

Really? For me it has been the opposite. Although Pasporta Servo does seem to be losing hosts...Now it seems like you'd have more luck finding a host by word of mouth instead of through PS.

Other than that though I feel like I am encountering alot more Esperanto speakers than I was back when I first learned it, and alot more young people than I had met before. How long have you been keeping an eye on these things?

Mi supozas ke vi ankaŭ parolas la lingvon, ĉar vi havas intereson/scion pri la komunumo...Do kiam vi eklernis?
>>
Bumping just in case the other Esperanto anons get online
>>
File: 0a.png (528 KB, 1052x866) Image search: [Google]
0a.png
528 KB, 1052x866
Do it. It's easy and it helps you in future romance languages
Besides you become a special snowflake
>>
Of course you can do more than talking to people online. I speak it IRL on a daily basis.

People who say "durr it's dead", "it's an autistic meme" or "nobody speaks it" have literally no idea what they're talking about, just ignore them.
>>
File: salo.png (380 KB, 458x434) Image search: [Google]
salo.png
380 KB, 458x434
>>56349628
>>56349993
>>
>>56349628
I will do it. I figure I won't lose anything from trying to learn from duolingo and it's pretty easy to learn anyways. Worst case scenario I can read books in Esperanto and participate in Esperanto generals on /int/.
Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.