[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So why have the French held on to so many overseas departments?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /int/ - International

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 3
File: image.jpg (105 KB, 1280x663) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
105 KB, 1280x663
So why have the French held on to so many overseas departments? Are they of any use? Are they a drain on the French economy?
>>
>>56285380
I'd imagine there aren't any independence movements, and it's not like they can just stop governing them.
>>
>>56285380
>biggest EEZ in the world
>12 time zones
>French grandeur around the world

that's it
>>
>>56285435

Doesn't seem like much famalam. I know they use FG to launch rockets for the ESA, but beyond that none of them seem profitable.
>>
>>56285521
there's rare earths on the pacific floor, bound to be profitable at some point
>>
>>56285433
>I'd imagine there aren't any independence movements
New Caledonia is close to becoming independent.
>>
>>56285380
SUN NEVER SETS
>>
>>56285783

Australia should keep that in mind when considering other poor island nations to dump refugees
>>
>>56285433
They all had referendums and chose to stay, some because they'd be even more shit without France (French Guiana, our Caribbeans Islands), some for other reasons and some who could be tempted by independance have been given special status and autonomy (New Caledonia) to stay, and they stayed.
Wy bother I don't know, I guess it depends. There are some rare ressources in Polynesia, a good tourist money to be made with Réunion and the Caribbean
>>
>>56285783
>New Caledonia is close to becoming independent.

Sources ?
>>
>>56285783
France won't let that happen. NC can't live alone without the money sent directly from Paris.
>>
>>56285948
There is going to be a referendum in 2018
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-pacific-16740838
>>
>>56285948
>Sources

Checked that myself, I see there will be a referendum but as far as I know the population is divided and the independantist aren't the majority
>>
>>56286040
They aren't even a French department like Réunion or Guiana, they have a good autonomy + French money so I actually wonder if there is anything wrong other than just wanting to be "free"
>>
>>56286132
My guess it's the same as with the Scots: the referendum will end up being anti-independence, allowing Paris to shit all over their autonomy with the excuse of "but this is what you want!".
>>
>>56286040
They'll vote no by a massive majority, mark my words.
>>
>>56286607
Kanaks will vote yes, Caldoches, Zoreilles, Viets and Wallisian will vote no.
>>
>>56288130
>Zoreilles

I thought that was only a nickname in Réunion
>>
File: US-territories.png (210 KB, 1482x624) Image search: [Google]
US-territories.png
210 KB, 1482x624
So why have the Americans held on to so many overseas departments? Are they of any use? Are they a drain on the American economy?
>>
>>56288584
America's economy is huge, not full of Muslims and not PIIGS tier in unemployment. They can actually afford their overseas territories. France should sell Polynesia to America.
>>
File: Sabana_000.png (905 KB, 1012x624) Image search: [Google]
Sabana_000.png
905 KB, 1012x624
>>56288584
>Are they of any use?
We used to. We were a great asset for Spain. Ask Sir Francis Drake about that and you'll see.

In the present, not so much. All we do is spy on other Caribbean islands communications (>pic related), and possibly south-America internet communications seeing as how at least half of them connect here.

>Are they a drain on the American economy?
Yes. We are at least.
>>
>>56288797
Forgot to mention, but we used to have nukes pretty much pointed at Cuba. They've long been decommissioned though.
>>
>>56288761
>toothpaste
>making fun of anyone else for being overrun by shitskins
Topkek
Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.