[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How do Spanish people feel about the term "negro" now
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /int/ - International

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1
File: Flag_of_Spain.png (62 KB, 1125x750) Image search: [Google]
Flag_of_Spain.png
62 KB, 1125x750
How do Spanish people feel about the term "negro" now that it is used to mean black people instead of the colour instead? Is there a substitute or do you just roll with it?
>>
no, it still means both things.
>>
>>56201465
Because during our recent history we were quite an homogeneous and catholic country, we don't have any real awareness of how disrespectful this term can be for foreigners, like in the states.

Yeah, we pretty much roll with it. We also call them 'morenos' sometimes or use the suffix -ito to make it less ofensive: negrito.
>>
>>56201580
But negro isn't offensive, and it shouldn't. Just like black, because that's what it means, both the colour and the people.
>>
>>56201569
>>56201580
I accidentally read this Spanish translated manga and Negro King just doesn't have the same ring as Black King. Do children still say black is their favourite colour? It just feels so strange.
>>
>>56201606
I know, but here we've assimilated much of US culture for the last 40 years. The Simpsons is probably the best modern colonization weapon ever created.
>>
>>56201622
Rey Negro = Black King
It is not offensive for us, we even call people with black skin "negro" in a friendly way.

>Do children still say black is their favourite colour?
Yep.
>>
>>56201705
Sorry I didn't remember the exact term. Thanks.
>>
>>56201700
If I call a negro, negro, and it feels offended, I'll say k, I wont call you negro again, negro. I seriouslly can't see how a fact can be offensive.

It is not an adjective, it is a fucking fact.
>>
GASHEGO CULO ROTO
>>
>>56201580
Forgot to thank you.
>>
>>56201465

I'm not sure I understand what you mean. Negro means black and it's always been used to refer to black people as well.
>>
>>56201832
this. the same is true the other way around over here. jincho, americanito, blanquito, etc. and moreno, negro, etc. for black
>>
Negro is used for both and they don't really give a shit 2bh.
>>
>>56201465
context
does that word ring any bells?
>>
>>56201622
AYO HOL UP
>>
>>56201465
In spanish it's pronounced "neg-row" (where the first part sounds as of you were about to say the word negative)

while in english it's Knee-Grow
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.