[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Most useful languages? Most useless languages?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /int/ - International

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 5
File: 1456619793344.jpg (106 KB, 800x375) Image search: [Google]
1456619793344.jpg
106 KB, 800x375
What do you say, /int/? Linguaphile here who wants to seriously commit to two languages but is unsure of which exactly.

Also, general languages thread.
>>
Fuck the TPP
>>
>>56197141
In the past few of years, I've picked up Spanish, Italian, Russian, Turkish, and Irish and I haven't gotten far in any of them. I'm still at, like, beginner stage. I also downloaded a bunch of stuff for Latin and Koine Greek but didn't start in on it. There's no real goal to work toward. I have no solid future plans that involve needing any of them except on vacation. So I can't stick to it. Which ones to pick is the $64,000 question, man.
>>
>>56197989
That's really my problem: lack of motivation. I want to be proficient in a foreign language(or two), but I don't have any real NEED to do it so I don't seriously pursue them to mastery.
>>
>>56197737
Also, yes. Fuck the TPP. Investor-State Dispute Settlement is really just signing away your country's sovereignty to whatever bullshit the shittiest country lets happen in their borders. Nobody who cared about his country would sign up for that.
>>
>>56197141
>Most useless languages?
klingon
>>
>>56198079
You should get at least one in. I learned French and I use it passively every day and occasionally force myself to think in it, which is delightful. Getting the hang my second language was one of the most rewarding things I've ever experienced. So, my advice to you is pick one and go at it seriously and find some way to immerse yourself in it for a while, even if it has to only be a vacation or two per year.
>>
>useful
English, German, Spanish, Mandarin, Japanese, Hindi, Russian and French.

>useless
Any other Asian language. Any African dialect, Scandinavian languages, Baltic language and Slavic languages.
>>
>>56198395
>other Asian language
hindi could be useful though, pooinloos are not exactly honest people, i need to know what they're discussing behind my back if they were my business partner
>>
>>56198481
Also, considering pooinlooland will be a superpower in a couple of decades, it may be useful to know how they plan to poo into your companyloo.
>>
>>56197141
usefulness of a language is subjective to each and every person. (except for english, which is inarguably the most useful language)
What languages are going to be the most useful and most useless depends on you. Do you ever plan on traveling to a country that speaks that language? Do you work for a foreign company that speaks it? Do you know people who speak it? Do you want to experience media from another language? Then it'll be useful for you.

>>56198079
This is where you're fucking up, you shouldn't be learning a language because it can be useful, but because you're interested in learning that language. If you aren't learning it out of your own interest you'll soon find yourself giving up unless you've got great willpower and determination to see it through.

>>56198395
is pretty much spot on though, but don't disregard what I said.
>>
>>56198608
As usual, this french poster speaks with his heart. Upboated.
>>
>"linguaphiles"
>their first concern is a language's usefulness
Yes. We have a lot of "linguaphiles" such as yourselves these days
>>
>>56198776
>>56198776
It's not my first concern, but there's no point in being able to talk like a kindergartener in a dozen languages. I'd rather concentrate on one or two so I can achieve actual fluency and if there is some application for it then that would be the motivator I would need to do it.
>>
File: 1408301587612.jpg (71 KB, 604x604) Image search: [Google]
1408301587612.jpg
71 KB, 604x604
>>56199919
Being Americans, Spanish is obviously the most immediately useful. French is the second most popular second language in the US.

Personally, I have a dream of being able to speak English, Spanish, French, Portugese, and Dutch since those are all the major languages spoken in the Americas. But I also want to learn Italian for muh heritage and japanese because weeb. Life is suffering.
>>
Is féidir leat mo theanga féin a fhoghlaim, but it's pretty useless outside of the Gaeltacht regions and college.
>>
Ez bi zimanê Kurdî dixwînim. Ev zimanê bêkêr e, lebê ez ji wî hezdikim.
>>
>>56198160
nerd cred tho
>>
>>56200352

Spanish + English unlocks French
Spanish unlocks Portuguese and Italian
>>
>>56197141
For the burger that you are, prob spanish.
Then if you want to learn more branch into other similar languages, like different tomance languages from spanish, which takes you into the slavic languages from Romanian, and by then you should know enough about how you learn languages to work on "weirder" ones to English speakers, like Arabic or Chinese or some other squiggly one.
>>
File: 1401772782430.jpg (10 KB, 163x138) Image search: [Google]
1401772782430.jpg
10 KB, 163x138
>>56198651
Thanks Chile
>>
>>56197141
Make your own one.
Łu en ün paşłr, łunegen nane. Gaic güt.
>>
>>56201487

I took French in HS and Spanish in college ended up being a breeze
>>
File: 1369972537136.png (400 KB, 449x486) Image search: [Google]
1369972537136.png
400 KB, 449x486
>>56201487
>>56201702
Then there is hope!
>>
>>56201793

I wish I'd gotten more practice speaking Spanish but something tells me speaking with all the Central Americans around me in Spanish wouldn't be a pleasant experience
>>
>>56202013

Come to Buenos Aires
Teach English at Wall Street Institute of English
Flexible schedules
Fuck locals and other foreigners
Travel around the country
??????????
PROFIT
>>
>>56202207
Sounds cash desu
>>
File: Myanmar.png (114 KB, 1120x2323) Image search: [Google]
Myanmar.png
114 KB, 1120x2323
>>56197141
>Most useless language
Achang must be the most useless language to learn for sure
Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.