[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How difficult is it to get over the initial threshold of learning
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /int/ - International

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 2
File: CBcyagtWYAARoMb.jpg (34 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
CBcyagtWYAARoMb.jpg
34 KB, 600x600
How difficult is it to get over the initial threshold of learning another language? How did /int/ go about it?
>>
There isn't any if the language comes from a similar family of your own.
>>
>>55987745
If you're worried about difficulty, start on easy mode AKA French.
>>
>>55987745

Knowing the grammar helps a lot. Basic phrases and such, some exposure and practical application of vocabulary helps.

But what exactly do you mean by "threshold"? Of difficulty?
>>
>>55987810
I'm just interested in learning spanish. I'll never go to a remote cajun village or quebec.
>>
>>55987745
>talking about languages
>on /int/
>>
>>55987810
>easy mode
>French
yeah, its fun when you have to learn how every word is pronounced because their written form isn't any indication.

>>55987839
It's very easy to learn broken spanish but I guess its kind of hard to learn with all the conjugations and tenses
>>
>>55987745
It's a bit hard. Over the years I have learned a few different languages, and it's easy to forget the feeling of encountering new grammatical concepts for the first time. Things that are second nature to me now and clear as day were totally mind-boggling years ago and really frustrating to try and understand.

>>55987839
Let's get specific with Spanish, then. I'm gonna assume you don't know much about languages in general. Sorry if I'm wrong.

So as an English speaker, I think what's going to fuck your mind hard with spanish is (1) gendered nouns and (2) verb conjugation.

"Gender" is a shitty term for this because it makes you think of male vs. female. While alot of actually male and female things recieve a "gender" in ther form as nouns, a ton of inanimate objects also do. So you should largely just ignore the thoughts like, "HOW IS A TABLE FEMALE??" because literally all "gender" is referring to, is simply a pattern present in the language. Before the nouns were ever classified as having "genders", somebody noticed "Hey, half the nouns in this language end in A, and the other half end in O! Isn't that interesting? What should we call this phenomenon?" and they decided to call the A-words feminine and the O-words masculine.

Verb conjugation...We have this in English but it's more caveman-like than it is in Spanish. In English we have "I walk to the store" and "She walks to the store." The word "walk" is being conjugated here. To demonstrate third person, it becomes "walks". English lets alot of pronouns share "walk" (I, we, you, they) and "walks" (it, he, she)...But Spanish gives a unique version of the word separately to each pronoun. It would be like we had "I walk" "you walks" "he walx" "they walke"...this way, one could just say "walke to the store" and the word "they" would be implied without you having to say it.
>>
>>55988077
Nice tldr lad

Literally everyone knows all of that shit already
>>
>>55988131
I am just trying to help, the OP question was really basic so I figured basic info was wanted
>>
>>55988131
T. dick
>>
>>55988131
You are such a faggot.
>>
File: image.jpg (21 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
21 KB, 300x300
>>55988077
That helped me alot mate, thanks for real though
>>
>>55987745
Struggle through it. There's always going to be frustrations like forgetting words or making simple mistakes. Frankly, it's not a fun task but I myself am already so deep in learning one it'd be waste to give up on it.
>>
>>55987925
>yeah, its fun when you have to learn how every word is pronounced because their written form isn't any indication.
hmm, this sounds familiar...
>>
There is no such thing. Once you got through the hard part, it’s over.
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.