[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why does the United States describe itself as "melting pot"
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /int/ - International

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 4
File: flags.png (19 KB, 1024x512) Image search: [Google]
flags.png
19 KB, 1024x512
Why does the United States describe itself as "melting pot" while Canada describes itself as "multicultural" when it's really the other way around?

>live in Canada
>hardly any culture to speak of
>everyone is basically the same regardless of genes
>go to US
>whites, spics, and black all hate each other and have their own cultures
>>
>>55973621
Probably a historical carry over. More modern historians tend to describe the US as a salad bowl.
>>
>>55975341
WHAT COOKING INSTRUMENT IS US CULTURE GUYS? MAKE UP YOUR MINDS
>>
>somebody from Alberta turns left in the inner lane

Fuck off.

You're horrible people overall and you pretend like you're better by default.

Go the fuck, away.
>>
>My personal experience represents how it is all across the county

I live in a Ukrainian area and Ukrainian heritage/culture dominates here. There are also some pockets of French heritagefags who contribute a bit of their culture too. Maybe it's just because I live in a rural areas and rural folk are more cultural than boring cityfags, idk
>>
>>55975341
White America is a melting pot. Dindus are just especially stubborn.
>>
>>55975475
The US is a sandwich. All the minorities are the ingredients. Whites are the bread.
>>
>>55975765

Oh, so you're a fucking twat waffle.

Shut the fuck up.
>>
>>55975821
Excuse me?
>>
>>55975861

Explain your politeness.

This isn't Quebec where it just goes away.
>>
File: 1429924290113.png (455 KB, 595x622) Image search: [Google]
1429924290113.png
455 KB, 595x622
>Oh, so you're a fucking twat waffle.
>>
>>55975937
I'm not a Quebecfag, if that is what you are on about
>>
>>55975940

My hat is far more ridiculous when I choose to wear one, thank you.
>>
>>55975995

Quebec is much like Seattle.
>>
>>55976229
Never heard that comparison before
>>
File: readImage.jpg (25 KB, 575x323) Image search: [Google]
readImage.jpg
25 KB, 575x323
>>55976229
>>
>>55976299

Nobody who's lived in either ever made that comparison.
>>
>>55973621
>Why does the United States describe itself as "melting pot"
because apparently nobody knows what a melting pot is
hint: it's not what you put your cheese fondue in

It implied that everyone who came here had their culture melted down and cast into the European-American Protestant mold.
It's why everyone was forced to pick an anglo name when they immigrated and we looked down upon people who didn't speak English.
America has never been a multicultural society, it was always a monocultural society.
>>
>>55978288
also, note that the biggest shit stirrers were always the ones who refused to adapt to monocultural society. Blacks, Italians, Jews, etc.
>>
>>55975765
So, what are Ukrainian Canadians like? My friend who studied in Canada told me that, somewhat paradoxically, if you're a Ukrainian from Ukrainian you might want to avoid them.
>>
>>55978938
>Ukrainian from Ukrainian
Now that's stupid. I meant to say "Ukrainian from Ukraine."
>>
>>55978938
They are assimilated, although they politically support ukraine, a lot, even though they escaped that shithole.
>you might want to avoid them
you might wanna avoid other ukrainians from ukraine, since most of them are bydlo

t.kiev-diaspora-fag
>>
>>55978938

They basically reproduce Ukraine image from the early 20-th century. Ukrainian, don`t givin a fuck about some crusuall but more contemporary stuff is weird, no matter, how much variniki he is consuming.

They call them pierogy and don`t speack Ukrainian at all, by the way.
>>
>>55973621
Multiculture is just a buzzword. Americans know this, they are realists. They just want everyone to get along, not segregate people into different groups.
>>
melting pot refers to the other europeans who came over to america and moved american culture away from being strictly anglo like it is in australia and new zealand. ie germans, irish, italians, etc.
Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.