[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
My family is Irish, but none of my recent ancestors spoke the
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /int/ - International

Thread replies: 57
Thread images: 4
File: 8dd.png (80 KB, 501x684) Image search: [Google]
8dd.png
80 KB, 501x684
My family is Irish, but none of my recent ancestors spoke the language. Would it be cool to learn some Gaelic, or would that be pathetically "muh heritage"?
>>
>>55972440
Pathetic and useless.

But really, go for it man.
>>
>>55972440
nah dont bother
its our job to learn irish not yours
>>
>>55972440
also its irish not gaelic
gaelic is three languages (irish manx and scottish)
>>
>>55972440

>Gaelic

are you trolling? that's a Scottish language. it's a sport in ireland.
>>
>>55972440
DO IT, O'CONNEL!
>>
It's an utterly useless language. More people in Ireland speak Polish than "Irish"
>>
>>55972440
Learning a language (and not just claiming you will) requires dedication and immersion to be successful

With something like Irish you'll likely have neither
>>
>>55972592
>"irish"
what did he mean by this?
>>
It would like be only ask pathetic as the Irish themselves.
>>
Do what you want, who cares?
>>
>>55972679
he could get immersion if he flew a thousand miles to some bog town but i doubt hell do that
>>55972697
>It would like be only ask pathetic as the Irish themselves.
what are you saying
>>
>>55972687
>Called Irish
>Isn't even the most spoken language in Ireland

Quite pathetic desu.
>>
>>55972747
That the modern Irish are indirect descendants of Guillaume le Conquerant and first came to Ireland only in 1171.
>>
>>55972825
>be canadian
>dont speak canadian
???
>>55972837
wut
>>
>>55972825
>called Canada
>Can't Ada
Quite pathetic.
>>
>>55972747
that irish people hardly speak irish and the vast majority learn it in a school
>>
People who speak Irish are more Irish than people who don't.
>>
>>55972440
>Wanting to speak irish

ew
>>
>>55973192
the sentence made no sense
>>55973368
this
>>55973867
bad lad
>>
>>55974662
he said that irish people hardly speak irish and the vast majority learn it in a school
how does that don`t make sense
uruguay learns portuguese in school because it was part of brazil, but almost no one speak it for real
>>
>>55975107
his original post retard
>>
>>55972440
What is pathetic is the fact that you take any kind of advice from autistic NEETs from all over the world.

Do whatever the fuck you want without giving explanations as to why, and that's it.
>>
Before your ancestors came over to the US most likely Romans, Romano-british, Angles Saxons, welsh-Normans, Anglo-Normans, Scots and to a lesser extent other nationalities have moved to Ireland and became "more Irish than the Irish". excluding of course the scots-Irish that never assimilated.

Every name starting with fitz is already a Norman name meaning French ancestry mixed in with norwegians etc. etc.

just because the last country your forefathers left was Ireland does not mean you are "really" Irish.

You have an ethnicity, you are an American. Go eat a burger and act like one.
>>
>>55974662
Ard ri an your mum
>>
>>55975107
>uruguay learns portuguese in school
ahahahahaha we cucked them so hard
>>
>>55972440
duolingo has it for free, go for it
>>
>>55978277
I feel like duolingo must be hopeless at explaining it to a complete beginner, particularly the relationship between spelling and pronunciation (especially because the voice pronounces things incorrectly and inconsistently).
>>
>>55977763
haha
>>55978277
>jew-oh-lingo
no thanks yank
>>
i have galatian heritage
should i move to Ireland?
>>
>>55980528
Buy a grammar book and try speaking to a real person as well.
>>
>>55980582
you are in your homeland idiot
>>
>>55980603
Nothing can stop me
I have galatian heritage, Ireland is my ancestors' land and it calls me, i feel my ancestors speaking in me
>>
Why would anyone waste time learning a dead/meme language

pick something that has some use like spanish/french/mandarin/jap, etc..
>>
>>55980641
no you are t*rkroach
you will never be EU, EU will collapse before you are EU
>>
>>55980588
>buy
Don't be such a joker.
>>
>>55980694
nationalism/ethnic pride
>>55980699
all you need is a basic irish phrasebook and work from there
>>
>>55980698
>>
>>55974662
Most Irish people do not speak Irish
>>
>>55980694
If you speak English as a first language then learning any other language is usually a disproportionate waste of time regardless.
>>
>>55980747
>gehmany we lav gehmany
hint: gehmany
>>55980758
if you never leave the anglophone world sure
>>
>>55980806
>if you never leave the anglophone world sure
My cousin worked as an engineer in France for over a year and she has almost no French, it's absurd how much you can get away with not speaking the local language.
>>
>>55980917
well i have swiss family and apart from my father (who lived in ireland for like 6 years and regularly uses english in his work) their english is god fucking awful. my grandmother doesnt even speak english, and theres always a conflict of interest with me and my grandfather as i want to practice german and he wants to practice english. this is in sankt gallen though, very rural region (coincidentally, named after an irish saint)
>>
>>55972440
Just do it OP, who gives a fuck what others think? Why are people on this board such insecure fucking virgin ass normie faggots?
GET OFF MY BOARD YOU FUCKING NORMIE
>>
File: pissed pepe.jpg (7 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
pissed pepe.jpg
7 KB, 480x360
>>55981137
>>55980747
>>55980751
>>55980588
>mfw REEEEEEEEEEEEE
>>
>>55981315
hmm
>>
>tfw want to read the rosc/retoiric passages of the Tain Bo Cuailnge
>>
>>55972440

Scots-Gaelic speaker here. Pretty pointless DESU unless you plan on living in the Gaeltacht. You'll never get to use it otherwise. Even then you'll speak it badly with a dodgy accent and people are likely to reply to you in English...

But its your time and braincells do what you like.
>>
Who's watching the mcgregor fight?
>>
>>55984135
Ciamar a thà thù. Tá Gaeilge agam, níl aon Gàidhlig agam
>>
Boston is more Irish than Ireland
>>
>>55986548
FOC
>>
Gaeilgeoir anseo

Either learn it properly or don't bother learning it at all, there's no point in learning a couple of words to seem cool with the natives because it won't be percieved as special.

If you're actually interested in learning the language contact an organisation called Conradh na Gaeilge and inquire with them. Depending on where you are in the states there may be a branch near you.

Go n-éirí leat
>>
>>55972864
>be american
>don't speak american
???
>>
Only hope of Irish is now dead.
>>
File: zuN0BQc.jpg (44 KB, 581x443) Image search: [Google]
zuN0BQc.jpg
44 KB, 581x443
>>55989280
>>
MEMEGREGOR BTFO IREKEKS ON SUICIDE WATCH HAHAHHAHAHAH
Thread replies: 57
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.