[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
French universities!
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /int/ - International

Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 1
File: France-Flag-Map_1.png (27 KB, 507x520) Image search: [Google]
France-Flag-Map_1.png
27 KB, 507x520
Anons, I am to embark in a journey to Europe.

Basically I wanna do the first year of my bachelor of sciences (interested in genetics/biophysics) in another university that is not Australian (most specifically, UQ), and as I have been teaching myself French in the last month I said, fuck, France seems like a pretty attractive destination, also cheap...

So, to the French of /int/, what is your experience with internationals (although I might get an EU citizenship this year) who go for a year to your universities for their 1st year of bachelor and then come back?

>What universities would you recommend?
I have been looking at things like Poitiers, Burdeaux, but know basically nothing

>Is it expensive to live, study, learn and go out (not too much) there?
I'm a pretty quick learner, learnt English in 5 months, but full immersion is my method, so, good idea? How many euro would I be looking at?

>Scholarships?
Been looking into those as well, but also takes a lot of research, and I don't even know if French unis are that expensive, I mean, maybe I can easily afford it (NOT wealthy, I'm actually working 3 jobs)

>Science fields?
I know it depends on the uni, but still, how good are they?

>For the Ausfags
Do youse know if I'd be able to transfer my credits here to not "lose" my year done there (I could deal with an extra 6 months, as I might go for a masters in the aforementioned fields anyway)

Sorry for the lack of grammatical sense, I've been doing research the whole day and I'm burned out.

Thanks anons, you would truly help me
>>
What the fuck are you doing bro
>>
>>55909971
Right now I'm indulging myself in self loathing.

In regards to the post, I wanna do my first year (or more) in France man, shit's expensive here
>>
>>55910059
I never went to an university but If you want to do anything, I think Bordeaux or Toulouse Are good choice.
Avoid the North unless your Life Is meaningless and you want to slowly kill yourself.
Good luck
>>
>>55910059
Don't come, I don't want an aussie shitposting under our flag
>>
>>55910178
Haha, yeah, I was thinking about the south (Paris is way too expensive), because of the Pyrenees and Descartes studies over there and whatnot. Any other advice? It's aight if you don't know about scholarships, but is shit expensive there? Living, transport, food, etc

>>55910195
If you had read the post carefully you would have noticed that I learnt English, ergo, I'm not fucking Australian, cunt.

We can be friends, salope
>>
>>55910321
You live there, you're aussie enough for me.
>>
>>55910383
I don't even have the citizenship, been here for about 2 years.

Be thankful I want to learn and know more about your culture, you chauvinist fuck
>>
>>55909813

>Is it expensive to live, study, learn and go out (not too much) there?

studying is free, but you'll have to pay for the rest (rent some place, buy food, pay transports, monies for the funz). I can probably be given various subsidies and scholarships, but I don't know them, so you'll have to ask to the administration, students associations, and CROUS (Centre régional des œuvres universitaires et scolaires)

>>Science fields?

French universities are good at what they're supposed to do: producing engineers. French engineer are in general highly rated for their all-around formation and are ressourceful.
The reason why French universities are poorly rated in the various internationnal rankings is because the various criteria are heavily unfavourable to them: those rankings are all about produced papers and research (a huge part of the research is held in separate laboratories like CNRS or CEA, just like the Plank & Fraunhoffer Institut in Germany for example), nobel prizes obtained in said laboratories, and the number of CEO they produce (French CEO come mostly from Grandes Ecoles rather than universities).
>>
>>55910321
Usually, big cities are expensive, but You can find cheap shitty food pretty much everywhere.
>>
>>55910321
I don't know about these universities in particular but generally you should find university cafeteria dedicated to students with good food at low price, extensive coverage by bus (Bordeaux also has a tramway), and lower price than in Paris (even better if you can have a room in an university residence). Inscription costs are low though.
>>
>>55910477
>Be thankful I want to learn and know more about your culture, you chauvinist fuck
an unwelcoming frog? who would tell?
>>
>>55910521
I know what you mean, but I thought you had to pay AT LEAST something for the tuition?

And about that budget, a sort of estimation? Uni alone here is about 8k yearly (only tuition). It's fine if you give me euros.

>The reason why French universities are poorly rated in the various internationnal rankings is because the various criteria are heavily unfavourable to them

That's cool, what I want is actual work ethic and knowledge I can use for an "advantage" over other students when I do my masters. Also remember that going to France is one of the biggest aspects.

>>55910557
Not going to Paris, as someone else said above, more likely than not going to Sotuhern France

>>55910564
It would really help if you could give me a link/estimate about that, or at least a name, don't know what you guys consider cheap

>>55910569
Si, no les jode, son los mas ellos
>>
>>55910705
Someone correct me if I'm wrong:

In a public university you only have inscription cost, not higher than 500€. Mine was around 200€ IIRC.
http://www.mastersportal.eu/articles/355/tuition-fees-and-living-costs-in-france.html

There is also health coverage. One time payment of around 200€ for social security.
http://www.campusfrance.org/en/page/frances-health-care-system

If you live in a city with bus grid, you should take a season ticket. Price will depend on the city.
>>
>>55910996
Yes that's basically it.
>>
>>55910996
So we've got Uni there, health insurance, transport, I suppose extracurricular activities shouldn't be too expensive... But what about rent/living cost (besides food, I can manage pretty well on that one)
>>
>>55910705
>I know what you mean, but I thought you had to pay AT LEAST something for the tuition?

Universities are free, but you have to pay for a mandatory healthcare insurance every year (in general, it's something around 150€/year, but it can be a bit higher)

>That's cool, what I want is actual work ethic and knowledge I can use for an "advantage" over other students when I do my masters.

I don't really see why you would want an "advantage", it's not like you have to be in the top 100 to get your diploma. You'll be aknowledged as good if you're good, and receive stuff like "good" or "very good" mentions, but that's it.
Well, except for medicine, as they have quotas.
Of course, it would still help you if you want to find something else after it.

Work ethic is very "free". You need a high self-dscipline. Professors won't give a fuck if you don't come to their classes, but you'll quickly find out that you'll get shit results in the exams. They hold a 2nd session for those who are not good enough in certain disciplines, but if you fail again, you're done. No stuff like "pass the exam until you get it".

Amongst those who fail, this "freedom" is the biggest cause. They often come from a very tightly monitored scholar background, where teacher are always on their back, and they suddenly find themselves free of doing what they want and not working if they don't feel like without being told for that. Then they fail during the exams. So you need a good self-discipline.

Well, after the first year, only those who have such discipline stay, as all the others have been culled in the first year exams, obviously.
>>
>>55911128
Rent will largely depends from where you want to live. Which city, in the center or suburbs, etc...

You can have subsidies if you fulfill the criteria.
http://www.campusfrance.org/en/page/housing-assistance-students
>>
>>55911192
Alright then, I only have to figure out living costs and if I can get scolarships then... They hard to get?

>I don't really see why you would want an "advantage"
Because I love life science man, this is not so much about a professional "hire me" view, this is about the discoveries, theories and schemes I can develop.

That said about the "free" thing, I have three jobs buddy, I can handle my time, besides I don't even know if I'll do a second year there... Is it had to get a job while in uni over there? I've heard hours are heavy

>>55911356
I was looking into that easrlier today, but I got distracted.

But I was thinking about studying in Poitiers/Bordeaux/Tolouse, so not HUGE cities.
>>
I've been to the university of Nice for 6 years, in Physics up to master's degree. The faculty of sciences is great, with a nice park and castle. There are a lot of students in the Biology section, especially in the first years - they're something like 70% of the students.
I don't know about the quality of teachings in biology, but in physics they were really excellent.

Now that could seem great and all, but the issue is the city itself, everything is expensive here. Housing is the second most expensive in France after Paris, and the rest isn't too cheap either. It's a great place to live in though.
The student life is okay, but don't expect too much. There is an association that takes care of international students, but I think they're in most of the French uni. They organise parties, touring, etc. We have self-funded student associations as well, they're pretty good but the lack of funding is very limiting (I was part of one).

I've always heard good reviews of other unis in the south, like Bordeaux, Toulouse or Montpellier. I think you should look for those.
>>
>>55910569no need to be an asshole, cabron. The frog was obviously joking while the not-so-aussie is a cunt (I mean you can google your shit OP)
>>
>>55911421
For a one bedroom flat, I dunno, around 550€? This is a gross estimation, I'm sure you can find cheaper. Should be cheaper in Poitiers, I will try to find some link.

What's most annoying is that private landlords will very often ask for a guarantor.
>>
I had a great time in Toulouse when i studied there
It's a beautiful city full of qt's, nice people, tons of things to do, very practical, sunny most of the time and everything is cheap as fuck at least compared to fucking belgium

Also i only paid like 200e/year for university
>>
>>55911624
Yeah man, I've been looking specially into Bordeaux and Toulouse, I just wanted a second opinion from people of the region.

I don't think I'll go Nice

>>55911694
Man, shut the fuck up, I've been doing research like a lab bitch for the whole bloody day, but google is not a living entity, it doesn't have a personal opinion, which is much easier to assimilate and formulate an idea from for the human brain, ya fuckwit.

>>55911730
I will most likely look online, see if I can share it with someone... But might want something for myself, however, I mainly want a place to keep my shit safe, not a palace, as long as I can shower, cook something, sleep and lock my stuff, I'm cool (of course I'd like to bring les femmes there too, but like Eugene Hutz said "I enjoy the sport of climbing rock walls into windows")

And if you can find a link I'll go to your province and suck you off cunt
>>
>>55911850
Nice, nice, I'll probably have an advantage with the qt's given I can barely speak their language (ergo, less bullshit to be said)

How much did you pay for accommodation man? Could you get a job in the meanwhile?

By the way, is busking common over there? I sometimes do that here and pull 300 dollars in a good night, is it legal there? I'm sure that would sometimes help
>>
>>55911872
Toulouse is a big student cities and a pretty good city overall. I've been her myslf, I found it simply okay but others deeply love it. It's good anyway.

I have a friend who studies over there and life is fairly cheap for a city this size, a little cheaper than where I live (also a big student cities) which mean you could get a flat alone for 400/500€ per month. If you live in student housing, it can go down to 200€ per month (I think ? Something like that)

Keep in mind that we do not rent per week. Never.
>>
>>55912099
Yes, yes, I just have to figure out how to produce more money WHILE I'm there... But I'll workout the budget somehow.

Which city you studying at?
>>
>>55912255
You can benefit from some social welfare in order to help you pay your rent. Besides that, student cities are full of job oportunities for broke students, especially foreigners with a fluent English.

I'm in Montpellier, it's a bit southern and closer to the sea, between Perpignan and Marseille.
>>
>>55912375
I'm fluent in English and Spanish, but then again, I heard that the study loads in Toulouse are fairly heavy, so I don't know how that'd work out with a part time job... Although I'm willing to work my ass off!
>>
>>55912375
And I forgot about this... But social welfare is for every student? Or only French? Or only EU ones?

And I just realised the university year starts in September there, fucking hell, that means I've got like 3 less months of planning and saving up

>Btw, busking means playing guitar/harmonica on the street for money, dunno if the word is used outside Oz
>>
>>55912454
>>55912508
It's for everyone, I know chinese students in my uni who benefits from it.
https://www.caf.fr/sites/default/files/caf/493/demande_al_anglais2012.pdf
You should dig into that. It gives an certain amount of money to you or to the owner of your place so you only need to pay what's left of the rent.

Busking is legal but you have to ask for the local administration authorization, otherwise the cops can ask you to leave, and if the cops don't do it, people with the authorizations WILL make you leave.

I guess what's important is how long you plan to stay. If you want to validate a full diploma, then it's important to pick the university that will suit your need. If you only plan to spend a year here, then I think you should chose the city instead.

Note that our universities don't follow the anglo model and ranking is not accurate at all.
>>
>>55912782
> WILL make you leave
Fucking musos aye

I plan on staying just one year, but as I said, if I end up falling in love with the place (or some bitch), I might stay for longer, because I'll probably count with EU citizenship anyway.

However, I have read that Le Universite de Toulouse III is good in the field of sciences, so if I stay for longer that should be a good choice... I plan on doing my masters at UQ, whatever happens anyway, labs here are mad cutting edge
>>
One point I did not yet make...

Say I wish to go in and join Bordeaux or Toulouse, do I NEED to be already enrolled in a tertiary institution? As I said, I have three jobs, so no, I'm not even registered in uni currently
>>
>>55912952
I'm not in the scientific field, so I can only tell you what I've heard from other students :

universities in Toulouse are good overal, no matter what kind, but I haven't heard anything about Bordeaux, but it's pretty far away, so I know more about Toulouse and Lyon.

Toulouse is a top tier city with good universities. Montpellier too, Lyon too, Strasbourg as well, Nantes too. Bordeaux is a bit expensive but La Rochelle slightly less, Paris is very expensive. That's what I can tell you, both from experience and from what I've heard.

And you don't need to be currently registered in any university, but check all the needed paperwork in the uni's website, there's always an area dedicated to foreigners.
Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.