[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What is the hardest language with over 50 million speakers? To
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /int/ - International

Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 6
File: Globe_of_language.png (148 KB, 751x396) Image search: [Google]
Globe_of_language.png
148 KB, 751x396
What is the hardest language with over 50 million speakers? To me, it's Vietnamese. I'm a native speaker, but it's really crazy sometimes. I couldn't imagine how hard it would be to foreigner.
>>
>>55900364
Slow down, Vietnam. The rest of the world is still trying to wrap their heads around how Pho is pronounced more like Fuh, rather like the beginnings of the profanities that will no doubt follow upon sighting the rest of the menu.
>>
>>55900551
I have no problem with the pronunciation tho, the grammar is what actually hard
>>
Arabic?
>>
>>55900840
dunerunes are easy except for writing, but it's not cantonese
>>
>>55900364
Japanese
>>
Probably Finnish or Basque for non-tonal languages (at least I don't think they are), otherwise any tonal languages would be hard.

Also the !Xe language of the bushmen of Africa (! = click).
>>
>>55901074
Oh 50mil speakers. Whatever. I'm drunk.
>>
>>55901026
actually the only troublesome part of japanese is reading/writing.
>>
File: Ethnologue 2016.jpg (405 KB, 1280x3101) Image search: [Google]
Ethnologue 2016.jpg
405 KB, 1280x3101
>>55900364
Maybe Cantonese? Tone contour languages are kind of rare worldwide
>>
>>55900364
I'd say Arabic and Chinese would be in the top 3 hardest.
>>
File: balls.png (302 KB, 559x595) Image search: [Google]
balls.png
302 KB, 559x595
>>55902906
>English
>Primary Country: United Kingdom
>>
Japanese is frustrating because of the grammar; the language is radically, totally different from English. Mandarin for comparison is easy to speak, although not write.
>>
>>55901026
actually pretty easy to read
>>
>>55900364
RARE FLAG
A
R
E

F
L
A
G
>>
If English is your native language, then it's Japanese. It was confirmed by some US government agency. The hardest languages would be Korean, Japanese, Mandarin and Arabic, with Japanese being slightly harder than the rest.

Vietnamese was found to be considerably easier than the aforementioned languages.
>>
File: h-hayai!.png (504 KB, 698x760) Image search: [Google]
h-hayai!.png
504 KB, 698x760
Polish.

W Szczebrzeszynie chrząszcz brzmi w trzcinie I Szczebrzeszyn z tego słynie.
>>
Russian.
>>
>>55907340

I assume you are talking about the FSI/DFL study. That didnt rank with difficulty but how long a language takes to learn. Obviously there is a lot of overlap but languages with logograms for example involve a lot of time studying/remember/writing even though its not technically 'difficult'.
>>
>>55900364
Why do people take pride in their language being hard? Isn't that the opposite of what a language should be?
>>
>>55907422

Easy once you're familiar with Slavic grammar and the pronunciation.
>>
>>55900892
I'm doing Mandarin and Hong Kong Cantonese seems like it's on a whole other level
Not only are the characters more complicated compared to Mainland Mandarin, but theres like 8 or 9 tones compared to the 4 +1 in Mandarin
>>
>>55900364
Cantonese
>>
>>55907306
hownew.ru
>>
>>55907422
>mfw I actually read that without issues
>>
Finnish is retarded and useless
Arabic sounds bad
Chinese is a brain lobotomy
Japanese is fine but too much weebs studying
>>
>>55907664
Nationalistic shit that pretend their language is a unique snowflake.
I'm talking about this as a vnese.
>>
>>55907664

It makes them feel smart, I think. The irony is that the more difficult the language is, the slower your academic and intellectual development is, because in addition to understanding basic concepts you have to fight against the linguistics to understand it as well. Example, english speakers take to math more slowly than say, finnish or chinese people because the english words for numbers are retarded. (twelve? thirteen? twenty-one? that's 3 different conventions for three different numbers)
>>
File: 33642989c27267P_is_for_prefix.jpg (225 KB, 1000x690) Image search: [Google]
33642989c27267P_is_for_prefix.jpg
225 KB, 1000x690
>>
>>55907946
There is nothing smart about using a hard language. A complex one maybe but complexity should be in its flexibility not how hard it is to fight against its grammar.

English is a nice language, it is simple and easy, instead most of its expression comes from its vast vocabulary, which makes for a nice combination of easy to learn but with a lot of depth to extend your knowledge of it.
>>
>>55907822
>Japanese is fine but too many weebs studying
yep. My uni teaches about 10 to 15 languages including Weebaneese. On the first day the whole language school got together for a "Welcome to the language school" talk.

There were more Japanese students than the rest of the languages combined.
Most of the non-Japanese students looked like normies and acted like normies.
Most of the Japanese students were guys had greasy hair, neckbeards and were overweight. The few girls that were there also matched that description.
I was sitting quite close to them because I'm a mandarin student and they sat everyone by region, and their main topic seemed to be anime
>>
Try pronouncing čmrlj.

And using dual correctly.
>>
>>55908239
At my Jap language school, people rarely talk about anime and stuff, if they ever talk about it.
Also, the girls outnumbered the guys. Only six guys in a class of 30.
>>
>>55908374
чeмepлий? чмepль?
>>
>>55908239
this is why i'm considering taking chinese instead of japanese, I don't want to end up with a bunch of neckbeards
>>
>>55908497
The e is silent, if I try with the english alphabet it would be like "chmrly" where the "m" is like in milk, the "r" as in rotating, the" l" as in logistics, and "y" as in yoghurt.

I don't understand Russian cyrilic that much, so I can't write it in that
>>
>>55908497

чмpль I guess
>>
>>55908731
>>55909009
It's anatomically impossible to pronounce a word without a vowel sound. Even if it's not written there has to be a vowel there somewhere.
>>
File: 1425732896477.jpg (40 KB, 600x338) Image search: [Google]
1425732896477.jpg
40 KB, 600x338
>>55909077
>>
>>55909131
it's pronounced bəlb vəlk plən etc
The schwa sound just isn't written
Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.