[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So I thought the best palce to ask would be this. Long story
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /int/ - International

Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 2
File: Finnish_flag.jpg (70 KB, 700x466) Image search: [Google]
Finnish_flag.jpg
70 KB, 700x466
So I thought the best palce to ask would be this.
Long story short, I'm going to Finland for five months starting in sepetember, it'd be for studying purposes. I'm a spanish loner, kind of really just have less than five friends and an awkward girlfriend plus I've been living in an isolated place since I was 11 or so, which didn't really helped.

What I want to know is what to expect from locals over there. Maybe making a few shy friedns would be just ok.
>>
Join the Nordic Resistance Movement and go on patrols.
>>
>>55699557
This is quite a hard time of my life, i'd appreciate serious answers
>>
File: 1_TIIA_inline.jpg (604 KB, 625x1147) Image search: [Google]
1_TIIA_inline.jpg
604 KB, 625x1147
You will meet your future wife within the first 48 hours. You will impregnate her within the first month and you should start learning Finnish immediately because you will need it to explain to her parents that you are not a refugee from the middle east.
>>
>>55699470
Just try hang out with few guys and you'll find friends. Go to a hockey game with them or something.

What are your concerns?
>>
Finnish people are friendly and social and speak good English. If you study then you'll meet people. If you want to meet more people go do something like rock climbing, go to concerts, get drunk, play badminton or what the fuck ever.
>>
>>55699470
Having 5 friends is like winning the friendship lottery. Most adults have no friends. Lucky ones have 2-3.
>>
>>55699592
how could anyone answer this correctly

no one knows who you are going to meet, you didn't even say what you're studying or how old you are or anything
>>
>>55699641
lolwat
>>
Just say that you hate russians and you'll find tons of friends. Finns are simple folk.
>>
>>55699592
But that is a serious matter in Scandinavian societies these days. They get a lot of media time and everything.

But anyway, it'll be a culture clash, probably. Expect interaction and cultural norms to be way different than you are used to. However you are a foreign student or whatever, so you wont be held to the same standards. Just relax and do your best.
>>
>>55699721
We don't hat russia. it's like friends with uncommon ineterest, you and us. We hate sweden. But estonia is stil best :D
>>
If they ask you to join them in the sauna, dont!

You will get raped if you do. Fact.
>>
>>55699721
Yeah, that's true but go take HIV medicines now which is vodka in Russia's case since you're poor.
>>
>>55699602
Mostly vidya, math, physics and maybe some soft drugs like marihuana and alcohol.

I'm not really an interesting guy. I play the bass in a band, tho.

>>55699626
Shit doesn't pay off around here, heh.

>>55699659
21 here, studying maths and computer science bachelor degree.

>>55699721
I'll try

>>55699735
I hope so, I kind of feel bad about my own culture. My father wasn't spanish, maybe that got something to do w/ it?
>>
>>55699883
>Shit doesn't pay off around here, heh.
Listen. If you are an asocial assburger in Spain you will be an asocial assburger in Finland too.
>>
>>55699861
See, OP? They are like children.
>>
>>55699949
Don't get me wrong, I've beenn to parties and met drunkwards as mostly everyone. Good and bad parties aside, I've come to the conclusion I can't just keep in contact with them is because my country's culture. Finnish culture seems kind of more friendly to me.
>>
>>55700036
At least I'm not Russian.
>>
>>55699641
B8 but ill still bait. I'm a semi-assburger and still have plenty of friends and go clubbing, bars, festivals etc.
>>
>>55699626
>Finnish people are friendly and social
Lol wat?
>>
>>55700604
t. basement dweller
>>
>>55700604
well, it's true, I still don't get why the stereotype
they're not loud and respect personal space more though, but still, the Finns I've met are are pretty cool people

Also, OP, are you an exchange student? if so, there are tons of activities with other exchange students, you seem normie enough for that to go well

t. not Finland
>>
>>55701314
chiletyty spotted
>>
>>55699470
Erasmus? Yo tambien voy a Finlandia. A donde vas?
>>
>>55701314
>>55701709
Yes I am, and with Erasmus program also. But I'm not really interested in activities, I do really just want to get along with the locals.

About where, it's going to be Aalto.
>>
>>55701649
yeah, hi

>tfw still no friends
>tfw at least I have saunas and salmiakki
>>
>>55700481
Jonne pls.
>>
>>55701873
You can't enter clubs and bars if you are underage, kääbiks.
>>55701844
I'd be your friend if you were from the metropolitan area.
>>
Just if anyone is up for chatting I dont have a problem with leaving my number on the thread
>>
A few things you should know:
-Honesty and equality are highly valued in Finland
-Finns are not quick to strike up conversations with strangers, so they might appear quiet and cold
-while speaking Finns often have long pauses between
-Finns usually wait for others to finish speaking before speaking themselves
-in restaurants you do not need to leave a tip unless you want to thank for particularly good service
-when you have a meeting, it is important yo arrive at the agreed time
>>
>>55702143

Something you southerners probably fail in is being punctual. At least my experiences with a Portuguese exchange student who took a course with me back in the days and was in the same group was negative in this aspect. He was always at least 15 minutes late and in Finland if we have a meeting at 1300 it means the meeting is at 1300 and not 1320 or 1330. So if you keep on being late as is your custom then Finnish people will dislike you for it.
>>
>>55703939
Lucky me, it disgusts me too
>>
>>55702143
Where are you going to stay in Finland?
>>
>>55704654
Aalto university, I hope the HOAS helps in order to find some shared flat
>>
>>55699470
Go drink at metal gigs.
Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.