[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Time for a Malta Thread! Ask me anything! inb4 >BRITISH CLAY
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /int/ - International

Thread replies: 66
Thread images: 8
File: Malta-flag.jpg (11 KB, 400x288) Image search: [Google]
Malta-flag.jpg
11 KB, 400x288
Time for a Malta Thread! Ask me anything!
inb4
>BRITISH CLAY
>ARABS-LITE
>What language do you speak?
>How 2 get malta grill?
>tfw you will never be a Knight
>>
Is it boring there? Do you ever catch yourself sleepwalking and awake drowning in the Mediterranean?
>>
>>55691768
What do you do on Sundays? Do you go to the beach?
>>
>>55691768
How does the average Maltese look like and what's your stance on the "" refugees""
>>
>>55691768
Do you get British tourists vomiting and pissing everywhere?
>>
>>55691822
It can be very boring, depending on your interests, social circle and time. Like if you have fuckall friends, niche interests and aren't very good socially you might find yourself staying in for months on end.

No I never sleepwalked, even at my most bored.
>>
how the fuck do you fit half a million people on that island
>>
File: wat.png (336 KB, 1250x750) Image search: [Google]
wat.png
336 KB, 1250x750
>>55691768
Explain this
>>
We miss u
>>
>>55691852
Same thing we do every day, Pinky. If you are religious, you go to Church. If you have a family, you do big dinner hangouts, those are popular). Usually it's either a family/couple day out or a lazy day in. I'm doing a lazy day in because my plans fell apart for the day.

>>55691873
Average maltese is lightly tan/olive skin leaning towards dark hair and eyes, but we have allsorts due to our genetic makeup. Our stance on the refugees is mostly negative. Racism increased tenfold since Malmstrom forced us to be Europe's first line of defence way back when this whole thing started. Nowadays we don't get as many because they're all making the trek overland and wanting to avoid us (because most want to get to Italy but get stuck here against their will). Most people are either indifferent to them or outright against it with a growing right-wing party/presence.

>>55691890
We get tourists from everywhere vomiting and pissing everywhere, but they struggle to keep up with OUR vomiting and pissing.
>>
>>55692008
>>55691896
I don't understand what you're trying to say? We're very population-dense.. Which is amazing because property is large, spacious and cheap as fuck compared to other countries. You can buy a centuries old 2-3 storie villa with spacious gardens and fountains built by Lords/Knights for like 1-2 million euros.

It's the Twilight Zone (or I'm grossly misinformed). Good value for money to square-footage.

>>55692032
Je t'aime <3
>>
>>55692138
<3
>>
File: 1438656131156.jpg (26 KB, 300x400) Image search: [Google]
1438656131156.jpg
26 KB, 300x400
>look up your language
>see this
>L-Unjoni hija mibnija fuq il-valuri ta' rispett għad-dinjità tal-bniedem, ta' libertà, ta' demokrazija, ta' ugwaljanza, ta' l-istat tad-dritt u tar-rispett għad-drittijiet tal-bniedem, inklużi d-drittijiet ta' persuni li jagħmlu parti minn minoranzi. Dawn il-valuri huma komuni għall-Istati Membri f'soċjetà karatterizzata mill-pluraliżmu, in-non-diskriminazzjoni, it-tolleranza, il-ġustizzja, is-solidarjetà u l-ugwaljanza bejn in-nisa u l-irġiel.

JUST
>>
>>55692138
Your country has nearly half a million people living in it, yet the biggest city is only slightly above 15k people, and there are, overall, only 5 cities with over 10k inhabitants. It doesn't seem to make sense.
>>
>>55692249
It's more cucked than English.
>>
>>55692256
We've a lot of towns, villages and localities! I never did the math myself. If you'd like to try and give our census office a good schooling, you're welcome to try.

>>55692249
I've been told by a Danish friend years ago that Maltese sounds like you're doing black magic and summoning lucifer.
>>
>>55692249
Is that mezoarabic or something?
>>
>>55692256
There's 3 Islands of people.
>>
>>55691768
capite l'italiano?
>>
>>55692431
It's based on Sicilian Arabic with some English, French, Italian and other shit thrown in for the keks
>>
>>55692431
No, it's just Arabic roots with a ton of euopean loanwords/influence and a latin script. Learning a bit of Modern arabic I realized that Maltese feels like a very VERY distant dialect.
>>
>>55692450
Un po. I can hear and understand Italian a lot better than I can speak or write it. I can read it with some half-decent fluency.
>>
>>55692249
>The Union has ??? the values of respech of the dignity of ???, liberty, democracy, equality, the state of right, the respect of the rights of ??? included the right of people belonging to minorities. ??? the common values of the member States of a society characterized by pluralism, non-discrimination, tolerance, justice, solidariety, equality and ????

how did i do?
>>
>>55692537
well, we have quite a lot of difficult rules when you have to speak/write
if you had to give me a percentage of people with italian (or rather Sicilian) roots on the island, what would it be?
>>
>>55692487
do you have the root system too?
>>
>>55692249
The union is built upon values of respect and dignity of human beings, of liberty, democracy, equality, rights and respect of rights of humans, including the rights of minorities. these values are common for the member states characterized by pluralism, non-discrimination, tolerance, solidarity and equality between men and women.

>>55692639
breddy gud!

>>55692738
I'm really not educated enough to answer that but maybe 10%? 20%? I'm eyeballing something fierce here, but historically we did get our population enslaved a few times and cleared out by arabic pirates n shit, replaced with italians.
>>
>>55692738
like half of them at least

it's a mixture of Italians, Spaniards, French, British and Arab people

I've noticed culturally Maltese people are quite Anglo though, must be the influence of the British empire
>>
>>55692840
Please explain what you mean?
>>
>>55692935
you know like this
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Semitic_root
>>
>>55691768
Why do you keep coming here?
>>
>>55692968
Oh yes, definitely. Maltese is a Semitic Language.

This is what I meant by very distant dialect, came across stuff like the K-T-B root which has to do with writing. Maktoub, kitāb and all that very close to the Maltese words for writing implements, actions and the like.
>>
>>55692998
Came for curiosity, stayed for the bantz. And I like helping people and there seems to be a genuine interest for my country when it's brought up.
>>
>>55693106
I've been reading the wiki article and there are similarities between it and hebrew
i.e: ħanut = shop
very interesting language indeed
>>
>>55693106
>Maktoub, kitāb

Fug
>>
>>55693181
Really? Same word exactly? That's very cool! When I went to Tunisia I could be understood perfectly speaking Maltese, but couldn't understand shite from them speaking arabic. Reckon it'd be the same speaking to a Hebrew speaker?
>>
File: venetian galley (6)s.jpg (67 KB, 600x450) Image search: [Google]
venetian galley (6)s.jpg
67 KB, 600x450
>>55691768

Can you tell us a bit about Maltese history? What was life like under theMaltese Knights? Was is mostly members of the order who lived there or were they jsut the ruling class like royality elsewhere?

Still trying to wrap my head around how this sort of theocratic state worked.
>>
>>55693182
it's actually pretty easy
I don't know about maltese but assuming the roots are same way as hebrew then you have a root;
k.t.b = root for 'wrote' 'to write'
hu katav = he wrote
hem katvu = they wrote
>>55693256
No, not really
you might understand a word or two
>>
>>55691768
are you as lazy as we are?
>>
>>55691768
Post a picture taken from your windows.
>>
ever heard the tunisian dialect?How much could you understand of it?
I watched a video in maltese the other day and I understood about half of it
>>
>>55693181
oy vey we say hanut too in our dialect
>>
>>55693454
No I said fug because we have those words but I never realized they were from same root. We seem to have ignored the whole root thing when we borrowed words from Arabic (A lot of them).
>>
>>55693683
Oh
Turkish is Turkic afterall, roots wouldn't fit in it
also, I thought Ataturk hated Arabic influence on Turkish and replace such loanwords
>>
>>55693454
yeah that doesn't sound like anything like Maltese. f.ex "He wrote" is "Hu kiteb". "they wrote" is "Huma kitbu"

Hebrew uses the v a lot, is it essentially exchanged for the b?

>>55693290
Life under the Knights was said to have started very prosperous, lots of friendship and work to go around but overtime they became more and more aristocratic and pompous. The final years of the Knights' rule were pockmarked with financial troubles, infighting and "We're better than you, local maltese are third class citizens" kinda deal. One of our historical figures (Mikiel Anton Vassalli) pleaded to change some policies that would result in a better economic situation, the Knights didn't listen and forced him to try and overthrow them. They found out, imprisoned the guy and then decided to exile him.

After that, The Knights were replaced by Napoleon's forces. Lots of cheering abound, but they were kicked out after 2 years because they started raiding our churches. After that, we said hello to about 164 years of the British Empire where we started off amazingly well, turned to absolute shit (same problem, lots of snooty busybodies taking our jobs and forcing us to live on pennies while we do all the work) and ending with the fall of the Empire, Decolonisation and the big fat George Cross on our flag due to bravery. Highest honour Civilians could get, and they needed to hand out so many after WW2 they just went "fuck it, put in on the flag".

You can find an absolute arseload of historical sites dating back to 5200 BC, some of the oldest temples known to Mankind. You'll find punic tombs (sometimes randomly when digging foundations to put up a new apartment), roman baths, graveyards and ruins, British architecture, Bigass baroque churches and knightly influence (few of our towns are built within fortifications, and our capital IS a fortification). British pillboxes and Knight-era watchtowers dot the countryside, too!
>>
>>55693510
Oh fuck yeah we are.

>>55693619
Almost nothing at all, only a few words interspersed because they sounded the same.

>>55693519
Got no camera, sorry breh.
>>
File: gencl.hitabe.jpg (631 KB, 1165x846) Image search: [Google]
gencl.hitabe.jpg
631 KB, 1165x846
>>55693842
Ataturk hated Islamic influence, not really Arabic. The language he spoke was Tanzimat Turkish, which is very much 2/3 Arabic words.

He changed the Tanzimat Turkish ("High" Turkish) with rural Turkish, which had significantly less Arabic influence and introduced alternatives to Arabic words, some caught on and others didn't.
>>
>>55694061
>Hebrew uses the v a lot, is it essentially exchanged for the b?
yeah, i guess
>>
>>55694183
>Almost nothing at all
really?weird because
> "He wrote" is "Hu kiteb". "they wrote" is "Huma kitbu
same
>hija mibnija fuq il
same
> tal-bniedem
same
etc etc...

anyway the way you say ta' is really cute
>>
File: 1276191147338.jpg (62 KB, 500x431) Image search: [Google]
1276191147338.jpg
62 KB, 500x431
>>55694061
It sounds like the island has been a stzrategic playball for centuries, with each ruling culture leaving their mark, in the cas eof the British, quite literally with that cross on the flag (I've already been wondering where that came from, did you guys put that volunteraly on there or was it more like Britain firebranding it a la "BRITAIN WUZ HERE")

But thanks for the information! Malta sounds like such a unique and interesting place, I'd definitely love to visit it one day.
>>
>>55694423
T-Thanks. I WAS 12 when I experienced this so maybe I don't remember it well, but I have heard plenty of other arabic dialects and only a few words popped in.

>>55694510
Pretty much yes, it's geographical location has been of importance as a military and trading post since forever. The reason we were one of the most shelled places in WW2 is because we stood in the way of the Nazi African Campaign getting lots of reinforcements.

As far as I know, we accepted it willingly. We're quite proud of it, honestly. As we should, we endured a lot of shit. You're welcome anytime, glad I was able to help.
>>
Bumparino
>>
>>55691768
they still havent finished the fucking road

http://www.timesofmalta.com/articles/view/20160227/local/coast-road-unfinished-works-irking-residents.603866
>>
>>55691768
What is a dish unique to Malta?
>>
>>55697611
Maltese workers are lazy as fuck tbfh..

>>55698483
Rabbit stew, definitely. Most europeans see eating rabbit as taboo I think. That and horse meat being a somewhat expensive delicacy. There was a case a few years back about British people being appalled that Tesco's beef lasagna was actually horse meat and thrown away while we were here facepalming because that shit is like the equivalent of caviar here.
>>
>>55698651
Never forget when Brazil cucked Europe and sold tons of Horse meat as Bovine meat.
>>
>>55699999
>Quints
Based Hues
>>
File: 1355739283325.jpg (237 KB, 1100x1380) Image search: [Google]
1355739283325.jpg
237 KB, 1100x1380
>>55699999
>>
>>55698651
>because that shit is like the equivalent of caviar here.
savages
>>
How does Malta view the Commonwealth?

Do a lot of Maltese immigrate to UK?
>>
>>55700318
Yes, lots of Maltese immigrate (I'm planning to go to the UK myself eventually) and we have a LOT of Malteasers in Britain, Australia and Canada especially, due in no small part to a big government-sponsored exodus to alleviate overpopulation a few decades ago.

We quite like the Commonwealth, we're just not fond of the EU.
>>
>>55700450
You joining the British military?
>>
>>55700578
Nah nothing like that. Just business opportunities and all that. Malta's nice but it's painfully restricted in some areas of commerce and career advancement. If you're a guy who just wants to start a family and stay in the country then fair enough, you can have a good life here but for someone who just wants to keep improving and has no interest in settling down like me, you need to seek bigger pastures. More opportunities, more money and the like.
>>
>>55700450
>due in no small part to a big government-sponsored exodus to alleviate overpopulation a few decades ago.
?
>>
>>55701279
As far as I know, after WW2, the government assisted shitload of locals to emigrate to the UK, Canada and Australia and continued until the 70s. Something like 30% of the entire population went to greener pastures!
>>
How fast is the internet speed in Malta? Are you allowed to torrent movies or animus without copyright restriction?
>>
>>55702063
Technically it's illegal and always been but it's so widespread nobody gives a fuck. I remember back during the PS1 games there would be people in open-air markets with stall full of pirated games that continued up till the PS2 falling out of fashion. Some of the people you'd see first in line were cops themselves. I think I have pretty good speed locally. I torrent shit at like 4mb/s at best, usually 2-3. Speedtest gives me 31 Mbps download and 4.77 Mbps upload.
Thread replies: 66
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.