[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Aussies, why do you want to become a republic? The Queen is awesome.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /int/ - International

Thread replies: 55
Thread images: 8
Aussies, why do you want to become a republic? The Queen is awesome.

Also why is Australia much more republican than Canada or New Zealand?
>>
I don't.
>>
Also the future seems nice.
>>
>>55687300

Because monarchy is over-rated. You Yanks realised that during your revolution.

Fuck the Pomms, the elitist faggots.
>>
>>55687300

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-australia-35378876
>>
>>55687300
>Aussies, why do you want to become a republic
I don't though. There's objectively no reason to want this. I'd rather have a powerless figurehead on the other side of the world than to add another level of government, more elections, and more fucking retards clawing at any power they can grab.

Besides, why would I cave in to fucking stupid leftists and their "muh colonialism" bullshit
>>
>>55687334
Yeah, but do you really want any of the current Australian politicians as the sole head of state?

The three options are

1. Retain the monarchy (that costs Australia basically nothing). Which is also really cool.

2. Change the role of Governor-General to President, everything else stays the same. Which really does nothing and is just a giant waste of money changing all the laws to remove "the crown" and "the governor-general"

3. Have a popularly elected president, creating even more levels of politician and governance. This leads to a system very similar to America's. Probably causing a bit more gridlock and headache.
>>
>>55687367
Yeah, but all your leaders are calling for a Republic. Turnbull, Shorten, all the state premiers (or whatever they are called in Australia)

I honestly really want to move to Australia, but I'll be severely disappointed if they become a republic.
>>
>>55687400
>3. Have a popularly elected president, creating even more levels of politician and governance. This leads to a system very similar to America's. Probably causing a bit more gridlock and headache.

And considering we have federal elections every 3 years, not 4, it would be an endless chain of election campaigns.

>>55687428
Turnbull was always a republican, but he seems to have toned it down after becoming PM. And shorten is completely irrelevant.
>>
File: queenelizabethii.jpg (28 KB, 417x521) Image search: [Google]
queenelizabethii.jpg
28 KB, 417x521
Who would you want?

The Queen (based)
>>
File: _85550061_happyturnbull.jpg (26 KB, 660x371) Image search: [Google]
_85550061_happyturnbull.jpg
26 KB, 660x371
This man (or any other of the current batch of politicians)
>>
File: 531437213_0d59264471_o.jpg (83 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
531437213_0d59264471_o.jpg
83 KB, 640x480
God I miss John Howard.
>>
>>55687300
monarchism is on the rise within the youth demographic

http://www.crikey.com.au/2014/04/24/how-the-pretty-royals-are-turning-young-people-into-monarchists/
>>
>>55687447
>And shorten is completely irrelevant.

this. he'll get the flick before the next election and probably replaced by someone like albanese -- laughable when he tries to spout garbage to try and get the youth's attention, for example when he called that senator a homophobe.
>>
>>55687300
Attempts to remove the monarchy is an attempt to debase the Anglo heritage of Australia, supported not just by Chinks, but also white immigrants of non-Anglo origin (e.g. Italians, Greeks, Albanians)
>>
File: charles-camilla-140409.jpg (2 MB, 2500x1408) Image search: [Google]
charles-camilla-140409.jpg
2 MB, 2500x1408
>>55687320
...uh, no.

I kind of like the queen, but I think after she goes, maybe we should too. Mostly because the UK is full of dickhead lefties, muslims and pretty much turning into a complete fuckfest of stupidity that I'm of the opinion we should distance ourselves from.
The UK plays a part in our history which should be always be remembered

But today, whenever we've ever needed a hand, its NZ, Canada and the USA that don't need to be asked.
>>
>>55687599
I'm not anglo at all. (Nordic actually) But I still think the British Monarchy should be respected.
>>
>>55687653
literally when has canada helped us
>>
>>55687653
Yeah but you have strong cultural ties to Canada through the monarchy, becoming a republic will sever some of the ties Australia has with other commonwealth realms.
>>
>>55687691
probably not as we'd remain in the commonwealth
>>
>>55687662
They send dozens of firefighters over here whenever we've needed extra ones, our visa system between Canada-Aust is nearly the same as it is with NZ.
>>55687691
Yeah I'm not just playing devils advocate on being pro-republic, I'm still yet to see a way which it could be implemented without some massive dickery going on- soon as one is acceptable I'd vote for it.
>>
>>55687300
Fug the queen. Why is she not dead already.
>>
>>55687753
>>55687698

Yeah but there are a lot of proposals for greater cooperation between Canada, Australia, NZ, and the UK. These will no longer have the same legitimacy if Australia becomes a republic.
One of the reasons that people are able to have some legal backing for proposals such as a free movement area, is because all of these countries share a head of state.
>>
>>55687839
I'm fairly sure we'd keep close relations, modern history sort of has a lot of very core principles we share.
But, we need to look to the future
>>
>>55687891
Look to the future in what way?

Have a president? Pay all of that extra money in order to have an Australian head of state, and change all of the laws?
>>
>>55687989
Meaning we don't dwell in the past like the euros do.
"muh history" is all well and great as long as you learn from it and have some plan to build a nation on. Nation building is something our politicians don't do very well
>>
>>55687891
Becoming a republic serves no purpose, other than either to waste money, appease leftists, or to create an ever more gridlocked political system.
>>
>>55688044
If your politicians don't do it very well, why on Earth would you want one of them as your head of state?
>>
>>55688044
>>55688060
>>55688083
>australian defending republic
>yanks defending monarchy

bizarro /int/
>>
>>55688113
lol
>>
>>55687300
end gun prohibition
end drug prohibition
>train retards
>>
>>55688060
>>55688083
>>55688044

Why the fuck do you guys care? Australia should give up the Queen and become more like the US.
>>
>>55688175
Fuck off. No it shouldn't. The American political system is fucked.
>>
>>55687428
All our leaders aren't calling for a republic, I don't think many people care to be honest. It's just a meme issue.
>>
File: the_real_us_flag.gif (97 KB, 600x366) Image search: [Google]
the_real_us_flag.gif
97 KB, 600x366
>>55688175
>>55688194
You cunts need to be re-empired.
>>
republic support is at its lowest since the 80s

if a referendum was held this year it'd lose
>>
>>55688273
>if a referendum was held this year it'd lose
And then it's loss can be used by monarchist politicians to prevent another referendum for the next 30+ years. It's the best thing that could happen
>>
>>55688060
>>55688083
Because our system needs some kind of reform.
At the moment its a fuckfest of 4 years of dicking around, inter-party shitfights and no one ever seems to be accountable for not keeping any promises. Its sheer dumb luck if we actually manage to crawl from one term to another without it turning into a pile of screaming retardation.

Heck, 2nd hand car salesman, real estate dealers and prostitutes are basically held in higher regard than our politicians!
>>
How many republicans are chinks and how many are real Aussies?
>>
>>55688343
yeah, but surely the reform shouldn't be of the one part that isn't causing all fuckery. It's the politicians who are causing all this mess, not the monarchy in any way. Giving the politicians more power and more positions to fight and cause havoc in, doesn't seem like the smartest idea.

Think if you get rid of the monarchy and install a president. That president will then try to block laws from being enacted, causing another layer of gridlock and partisanship.
>>
>>55688392
Most of the republicans in power (Keating, Turnbull, Shorten, Hawke, the premiers of all the states,) seem to be white Australians, which makes absolutely no sense.
>>
>>55688392
Chinks (unlike mudslimes in your country) literally have no outspoken say in any politics in this country. In fact they'd probably vote more conservative if anything because it means less regulation on their beloved foreign investment of real estate.
>>
File: 1455189205939.png (353 KB, 632x441) Image search: [Google]
1455189205939.png
353 KB, 632x441
>Also why is Australia much more republican than Canada or New Zealand?

We have an anti-authoritarian streak, but it's not quite as wild eyed as the American version
>>
>>55688392
Most people who actually give a shit are multi-gen Anglo-Celtic Australians
>>
>>55688448
A good deal of white Australians, even Liberals, are self-hating and support the multiculturalisation of Australia.
>>
if Australia, UK or NZ ever needs assistance, us Leaf's will help out without a moments notice

Fuck America though. Suck my fucking dick
>>
>>55688460
Interesting. Is this from the whole convict thing?
>>
>>55688423
An American style of democracy isn't really appealing, there's a couple of other ones in Europe worth considering though which aren't entirely terrible that could be loaned from.
It'd also keep a lot of the 'donations' down to next to nil and wipe out a lot of cronyism that happens under the current one.

As a monarchy, it really has no bearing on our current actions. But not sure if the Westminster system is worth keeping because its got some very large problems that always seem to keep coming up in regards to private donations, corruption and letting laws through too quickly without any real consideration. Heck its why we had a major problem with stuff like gun laws, immigration and quite a few other things. Knee jerk reactions aren't considered and really hard to get rid of once their enacted.

But hey, I'm not a pol-science person
>>
>>55688604
Private donations wouldn't be any better in another system. In fact they would probably be worse, since now there is a seat of power nationally that can be contested (leading to more big money donations).

Trust me, I've lived in the US, Canada, and a few European countries (Denmark and Switzerland) and all of them had to deal with private donations and stuff of that nature.

The monarchy is a respected and established institution, it makes very little sense to abandon it for no reason (and absolutely no planned alternative) just because it feels antiquated.
>>
>>55687300
Maybe they just have come to realize that she is a lizard person
>>
>>55687300
Only hipsters and fags that complain about Australian becoming "americanised" want a republic.
They're pretty austistic even for abo standards
>>
JUST DO A REVOLUTION !
WE WANT A BLOODBATH !

...s-sorry
>>
>>55687300
The only way I'd even consider voting for a republic is if they can:

1. Demonstrate that it will save money, and

2. There is no president, just a GG as there is now. A retired military General, appointed by the PM, with no other changes.

Our current constitutional monarchy isn't broken. It doesn't need adjustment nor fixing. I dislike most people wanting to change it, so the more the speak on the topic, the less I feel inclined to support them. I like the Queen, am indifferent towards Charlies, and quite like William.
>>
>>55687320
that place is so overrated, boring af
>>
>>55691924
I once drove irresponsibly up the fun way in a fastish car to that location with a cqt. Was fucking windy and a bit cold when we got there.
Thread replies: 55
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.