[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why are Chinese and Japanese still using this letters Isn't
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /int/ - International

Thread replies: 66
Thread images: 9
File: 270px-KaishuOuyangxun.jpg (41 KB, 270x396) Image search: [Google]
270px-KaishuOuyangxun.jpg
41 KB, 270x396
Why are Chinese and Japanese still using this letters
Isn't it inconvenient?
>>
File: B38vCFPCcAEg5iD.jpg (35 KB, 500x375) Image search: [Google]
B38vCFPCcAEg5iD.jpg
35 KB, 500x375
>King Sejong literally invented hangul because dumb korean plebs couldn't into kanji
>>
>>55682296
It sure looks inconvenient, but it's still beautiful as all fuck.
>>
nigga its convenient as fuck
>>
>>55682328
>Chinese writing was kept esoteric and inaccessible to the general public so court faggots could feel like they're special snowflakes
>Sejong literally invented a writing system that could be learned by peasants in a day
>literacy skyrocketed among commoners
I suppose you'd like to learn thousands of unintuitive glyphs over a decade instead?

That said, though, the complete lack of Han characters is pretty inconvenient at times. Knowledge of etymological roots goes a long way in a language with as many homophones as Korean. Chinese lets you do cool poetic shit as well.
>>
>>55682328
I learnt hanja in school
And I got a hanja license
I just curious. Most countries use alphabet not drawing
>>
>>55682363
Oh I agree
That's the reason
>>
>>55682296
homophones would create too much confusion without characters
>>
>>55682535
Korean doesn't have tones like Chinese does though so sounds are much easier to represent. Look at the latinisation of Vietnamese (a tonal language), it's an absolute clusterfuck.

Japanese has so many homophones due to it's limited amount of consonant and vowel combinations, so perhaps some use of kanji is necessary, although I still think they should cut down the amount that they use. There are plenty of words without homophones that they still use kanji for which is really unnecessary.

However, the Japanese value their heritage and traditions, and it would be a nightmare to change the writing system this far down the track (translating tens of millions of documents, signs, books, etc. not to mention completely reorganising their educational system), so for now I guess they're happy to kick the bucket down the road indefinitely.
>>
>>55682296
It looks cool
>>
It makes it harder for aspiring immigrants to pass the JLPT and the immigration procedure, keeping Japan's population pure.
>>
>>55682940
And in decline
>>
>>55682951
same as all white countries, even with the help of immigration. did you know germany and spain have even lower birthrates than japan?
>>
操 你 妈 的 逼

>>
>>55682988
Good for them, Australia doesn't and that's what matters to me.
>>
>>55682798
Korean language have 7 ending consonants, 19 consonants, 6
10monophthongs, 11diphthongs
And of course we can ditinguish them
>>
Easier to read once you know it.
Also keep white pigu from immigrating
>>
File: whitechapel high street.jpg (62 KB, 700x438) Image search: [Google]
whitechapel high street.jpg
62 KB, 700x438
>>55683040
Yes, and Australia's population is also in decline, but it's better than picrel
>>
>>55683105
>whitechapel high street.jpg
I've been there in real life and this pic is not an exhaggeration. I don't think I saw one white person the whole time I was staying there. There were entire schools in the area that looked 100% muslim.

Yeah Australia is nothing like that.
>>
>>55682798
>Korean doesn't have tones like Chinese does

They have a lot indeed and have so many homophones like we do.
Then, you know what's happening in Korean language, it utterly got to be a defective one.

Ironically, Chinese language itself doesn't need those moonrunes, for they sustain different sounds for each signs.
They can communicate by alphabet letters with few additional signs on them, unless traversing different dialects.
>>
>>55682940
Hello chinese immigrant
>>
>>55683273
>>
File: 1419978883989.gif (1 MB, 640x360) Image search: [Google]
1419978883989.gif
1 MB, 640x360
>>55683105
>Implying a declining birthrate equates to a declining population.

lol nah mate, we're not gonna go poof in 100 years like you lads are, then again, thats enough time to reorganize and transform a culture thats existed for thousands of years? Right? Let's be honest, you all need us filthy gaijin. I'll be headin on over there in 4 years after my uni course is done, doin Jap there too.

See ya soon buddy :^)

>Jap pussy is more often than not pretty stank tho, rare good ones are goddesses however
>>
File: banter shirt.jpg (15 KB, 324x324) Image search: [Google]
banter shirt.jpg
15 KB, 324x324
>>55683509
>>
File: 1416027548150.gif (1 MB, 350x239) Image search: [Google]
1416027548150.gif
1 MB, 350x239
>>55683603
>bantz

oughhh ya got me
>>
>>55682798
>I still think they should cut down the amount that they use.
its irrational and even inconsistent dude. unlike chinese, in the first place, japanese dont convert foreign words or their own words into kanji if it isnt needed to do so. in other words, they have a choice about it at the beginning.

and oldschool kanji words already got purged to sophisticate the system of kanji.
>>
>>55683639
Why does kanji still exist for words like 複雑 or 収入 that don't have homophones? If you introduced spaces you could tell hiragana words apart much easier, reducing the need for Kanji.

By the way, I'm just playing devil's advocate because I enjoy studying and writing Kanji, it's one of the reasons I decided to learn Japanese. However most Japanese react angrily whenever someone offers suggestions of reform to their writing system, I'm guessing partly because they've invested years of their life into learning it and it would all be a waste if they switched.
>>
>>55682798
Tones existed in Korean at the time of the invention of Hangul so writing system was a bit different at that time. It disappeared completely in modern standard Korean but Korean dialects still have some trace of it.
>>
File: tone.png (5 KB, 358x81) Image search: [Google]
tone.png
5 KB, 358x81
>>55683314
What's up with the lightness in tone of the first character?
>>
>>55684026
Looks normal to me
>>
>>55684047
It's all pale though
>>
>>55684026
It doesn't do that on my pc, but it has to do with the character being from a different character set than the others.
>>
>>55682296
Because it's convenient.
>>
File: 2398472983479235.jpg (88 KB, 825x441) Image search: [Google]
2398472983479235.jpg
88 KB, 825x441
>>55684063
For you
>>
>>55684088
LOL love your sarcasm XD
>>
>>55684127
>you will never be able to distinguish between your endless array of homphonous chinese cuckwords
>>
If Korean learned it, they notice that Korean and Chinese are using many words Japanese made.
>>
>>55682798
There are only 5 tones nigga. That's like 5 extra symbols.
>>
>>55684176
>If Korean learned it
If Koreans learnt it*
>they notice that Korean and Chinese
they'd notice that Koreans and Chinese*
>many words Japanese made
many words of Japanese origin*
>>
>>55684156
Most of homophones are not used in normal life or news
So in Korea, hanja is unnecessary

But in japanese language they have less vowels and consonants than korean. So they keep use kanji

Of course chinese characters able to ditinguish lots of homophones but inconvenient as fuck
>>
>>55683766
rather hiragana isnt convenient that much. its hard to say but if japanese language consisted of only hiragana/katakana words and spaces, it would be "visually" and "practically" hard to read. it would be really annoyingly hard.
if you learn kanji hard right now and are gonna keep it, you will get what i'm talking about here someday

i didnt get what you are trying to mean by jukugos like 複雑 or 収入without homophones. anyway those words depend on the functionality of ideogram. for instance, 複(multiple, something multi, etc)+雑(random, noisy, etc). and japanese are used to instantly "visually" understanding those jukugos. If you got the same "visual" way as japanese, you can quickly make your own coined words and kanji memes with the "visuality".
>>
Japanese Kanji has kun-reading which doesn't exist in Korean. Due to kun-reading Japanese is tied more strictly to Kanji than Korean.
>>
>>55684638
The kun-readings originally weren't tied to kanji at all, they existed before the kanji and kango+on-readings were imported into Japan.
>>
>>55684546
>>55684546
Let me try
實驗(experiment)
實 fruit 馬hourse 僉people shouting
>>
>>55684638
We have lots of loan words from greek, yet we don't use greek script to represent them.
>>
>>55684698
実 = truth
験す = to test
実験 = experiment
Makes sense
>>
Kanji is fun to learn though. Also >>55684783 makes me want to learn japs, eventhough the main reason I learn japs only because so I can read Romeo's masterpiece and Imouto eroge.
>>
>>55684783
験=馬(horse)+合(meet)+人(person)

Yes I'm definitely following your logic here
>>
>>55684213
Thanks
>>
The writing systems are stupid in a practical sense but they do hold a lot of history and culture in them. Switching to Latin (like Vietnamese did) would result in your language looking like some bullshit new-age constructed language.

>>55682328
t. Davido-kun
>>
>>55684871
Still makes more sense than not using radicals to build up your kanji and having a completely different sign for every meaning.
>>55684315
Most homophones aren't used in spoken Japanese either, but there are many in written Japanese. The kanji allow for a richer vocabulary than the romaji would for Japanese.
>>
>>55685003
My point is a lot of the radicals used have no link whatsoever with the meaning, which is not very helpful
>>
>>55685050
Which radicals would you have used to create the kanji for truth and test?
>>
>>55683766
>Why does kanji still exist for words like 複雑 or 収入 that don't have homophones?
i reckon it's because each kanji of those words is essential (particularly 複 (=multi) and 入 (=into)) and is used in pretty many words (as for 複, 複数、複式、複層、複利、複合、複写, and so on), and as a result native japanese don't consider them to be trouble but etymology to facilitate understanding.
>>
>>55685088
I don't know enough radicals to be very knowledgable, so I'd probably leave it to an expert.
>>
>>55682296
Ancient chinese used chinese characters
I mean fucking why? It makes life more complicate
>>
漢字is便利
i don't know what is in Chinese
>>
Yeah, we stole 漢字 from ancient china but you should know china stole a lot of words from modern japanese like 経済(economy) as well
>>
>>55685366
Lol really fascinate
This is why I hate but love hanja
In korean 便 means shit
>>
Why korean have chinese character in their name? 金泰耎 金正恩 金日成
Even they can't understand
>>
File: images-1.jpg (8 KB, 300x168) Image search: [Google]
images-1.jpg
8 KB, 300x168
>>55685429
>In korean 便 means shit
same in Japan :D
we pronounce Ben, so big ben means huge shit in Japanese
>>
>>55685439
金日成 = Kanejitsu Naru of course
>>
>>55685617
good name
>>
I think kanji is inconvenient for people who learn it as second or third languages.
But I don't think it is inconvenient .
The language is used in the culture and the language fit the culture.
So I don't think it is important that languages are convenient.
>>
>>55682296
That is just only one of the origins of world scripts.
One is Phoenician alphabets and the other is Kanji.
In the period of Qing dynasty, both of those were used in China continental.
Because the thing in the former was alphabets of nomads.
In the modern period, Japanese used Kanji and they spread it to the world.
At present, Koreans use the scripts originated in middle east, and Japanese and Chinese use Kanji.
>>
>>55685447
lel
Thread replies: 66
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.