[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Life in France for an International Student
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /int/ - International

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1
File: Chile_France_flag.jpg (7 KB, 251x201) Image search: [Google]
Chile_France_flag.jpg
7 KB, 251x201
I'm interested in finding opportunities for internships and scholarships in France for undergraduate degrees, more specifically, physical anthropology. So I'm looking for advice from (preferably ethnic) Baguettes:

What's life like in France?
Is it financially costly to study?
What about housing for students?
Is the student culture lax but serious at the same time?
Are french people sociable overall?
What can I expect if I travel to France and stay there?
Are provincial towns of France cheaper to live in than say, Paris and Lyon?
What are some good universities that focus on the areas of humanities and history that are relatively affordable?

I have studied 5 years in Canada,(thankfully that has given me a very high understanding of English but I lack knowledge of French, so that's clearly something that I'd need to work on if I plan on studying there) and I've recently come back to my home country to finish my last high school year, which starts this February.

Seems like I'm going to have trouble finding a scholarship though, since most of the ones sponsored by the Chilean government are for post-graduate degrees.
>>
>>53039281
Bump pls help /int/, I'm sure you can take off a single minute out of dank memes if only to answer one of the questions.
>>
>>53039281
A white person like yourself wouldn't fit in France unfortunately.
>>
OUI HON HON JE SUI FOUFOU LEFAGGETTE JE NE PARLE PA CHILIAN LE ESCARGOT DU FROMAGE HAAHA
>>
>>53039889
I heard tropical fruits are expensive as hell in Europe.
>>
>>53039281
>What's life like in France?
Depend where you want to go

>Is it financially costly to study?
Some private school could be expensive, but at university it's 400€ for one year (I could be free with scholarships)

What about housing for students?
The faclity of getting one depend of the city. The average student housing is a studio of 9m2

>Is the student culture lax but serious at the same time?
I never study in an other country but in university it's pretty lax

>Are french people sociable overall?
Less than americans, more than germans

>What can I expect if I travel to France and stay there?
If you integrate well no one would care. People here don't like arabs and niggers, but no one care about south americans

>Are provincial towns of France cheaper to live in than say, Paris and Lyon?
The most expensive cities are in order:
Paris>>>>>>>>>>>Nice>Aix-en-Provence>>>Lyon>>Medium provincial cities in the south>>Medium provincial cities in the north>>Small cities

>What are some good universities that focus on the areas of humanities and history that are relatively affordable?
Here's a ranking of the best unversities (for History and humanities search in Sciences Humaines et Sociales)
http://www.lefigaro.fr/assets/pdf/palmares_universites.pdf
The cost is 400€ a year
>>
wena nido
>>
>>53039281
I guess it depends where you go, it can be very different if you go south or north france.

Private schools can be very expensive but university and public schools are really affordable in general.
Cost on life can be high in major cities like Paris, Lyon or Lille but overall I don't think this is a major problem.

>What about housing for students?
There are university residences almost everywhere, often with places reserved for foreign students.
You can do some research on the CROUS about that..

Depends where you go, public universities have the reputation of being quite lax, especially in "social" disciplines, less in scientific disciplines.

>Are french people sociable overall?
I'd say the southern you go, the more sociable people are.

>What can I expect if I travel to France and stay there?
What do you mean?

>Are provincial towns of France cheaper to live in than say, Paris and Lyon?
Most of them yeah.

>What are some good universities that focus on the areas of humanities and history that are relatively affordable?
La sorbonne in Paris for sure, it could be quite affordable if you find a place in the suburbs.
Strasbourg, Toulouse, Montpellier, Nantes and Rennes have a good reputation too, but I don't know exactly for these disciplines.
>>
>>53039920
Kek

>>53039952
Must be because it's colder up in Europe

>>53040061
>400 Euros a year for uni
400 euros a year, might as well be free. That's cheap! May be different for international students.

>Student housing
9m^2 would be a 3x3 space but I think that'd be enough to live comfily, assuming it includes a kitchenette.

>I never study in another country but in uni it's pretty lax.
Good to hear, not gonna get chewed out or be involved in a lot of protests for better education am I?

>Less than americans, more than germans
Good enough.

>If you integrate well no one would care. People here don't like arabs and niggers, but no one care about south americans

When in Rome, do as the romans. I usually fit in pretty well everywhere.

>The most expensive cities are in order:
Paris>>>>>>>>>>>Nice>Aix-en-Provence>>>Lyon>>Medium provincial cities in the south>>Medium provincial cities in the north>>Small cities

Sounds good!

>Here's a ranking of the best unversities (for History and humanities search in Sciences Humaines et Sociales)

Thanks for the tip!
>>
>>53039281
An elaborate answer would take way too long. All in all, it's relatively OK. Also, don't give too much importance to what /int/ says, as it would make you think France is more or less a war zone.

Public universities are technicaly free, but you still have to pay a fee for health insurance (it varies according to the place, but it's between 200 and 400 €/year.
Private schools/universities are obviously much more expensive (but not as much as US ones, far from it).
You can have various subsidies, scholarships and financial help, but it's up to you to search for it. Ask foreign students offices, students associations and universities advisores for that.

Daily life is obviously up to you too, and this is where most of the expenses come. Housing, food, transports... For them too, you can have various financial help and special discount for students, so search for it and ask students associations and offices.

>What about housing for students?
Not like your US campus. Universities can provide you some ultra basic shit like >>53040061 said (some 10 m2 corridor with a bed, a table and a shelf), but even that they often don't have many to provide. People usually choose to rent other cheap studios near the university that are bigger, but also more expensive. For the price, it depends on the city, but the entry price is almost never under 300€/month, and can skyrocket easily.

Nothing like US campus-movies. There's no culture of brotherhoods and stuff like that. People just gather with their buddies in the city and do student stuff like drinking and partying for those who are into that. In fact, in public universities people have a lot of freedom, so you need some self-discipline. Teachers won't give a fuck if you miss the classes, but they won't have mercy on you if you're shit when exams come. If you don't work, expect shit results.
>>
>>53041049
>400 euros a year, might as well be free. That's cheap! May be different for international students.
No it's the same for everyone ;) It's even free for people who have scholarships (I don't know how it work for strangers, but for french you could get one if your parents income is low)
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.