[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why is the American West so federalized?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /int/ - International

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1
File: Map_of_all_U.S._Federal_Land.jpg (410 KB, 1600x1230) Image search: [Google]
Map_of_all_U.S._Federal_Land.jpg
410 KB, 1600x1230
Why is the American West so federalized?
>>
>>53036520
Mountains, deserts, and indians
>>
>>53036569
also national parks
>>
>>53036569
>>53036636
Does it have something to do with Manifest destiny?
>>
I tried looking this up, but all I can find are a bunch of rightards trying to stir shit about how the "comm'nist fedrull gubmint stole our layund" without actually explaining why they own it.
>>
>>53036520
Because those states are miles upon of miles of absolutely nothing for the most part
>>
it is literally fucking nothing

wish we had more of this in texas, then I could just go into the desert and shoot guns
>>
>>53037775
>2016
>owning guns
>>
Most of the red land in the west is mountains.
>>
>>53036737
Yeah actually. Manifest destiny was used to lure farmers over to colonize formerly Indian lands, which is why you have mostly farmsteads and what not up until Montana, Wyoming etc.

The red areas weren't really annexed until the late 19th century and its mostly mountains and forests which was too difficult to farm and by then most of the economy was industrialized.

>>53037191
>absolutely nothing
I'd argue most of the land between the eastern seaboard is absolutely nothing, since its mostly just a post-agragarian or post-industrial wasteland. There's few natural things to enjoy because every single tree was less than a century old except maybe in the appalachian regions. Just go to outer Illinois, absolutely disgusting.
>>
>>53038332
>American education at work

The northwest is still intact pine forests, probably the last of it left. The southwest is complex, Colorado itself is a combination of boreals you only find in canada and desert/shrublands. Shit is fantastic actually cuz it obeys the altitude-latitude rule.

Honestly, I'm surprised Americans are mostly ignorant of how great their natural environment is if it isn't concerned with hunting.
>>
>>53038851
I think you read way too much into his post in order to insult him, about half of that federal land in the west is desert/wasteland
>>
>>53036569
>Indians
>implying we have a significant population

How many true injuns are left, 10,000 maybe?

They're practically extinct the poor badtatds
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.