[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>a series >the news Fuck, America, how hard is it to use
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /int/ - International

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 3
File: confurger.jpg (112 KB, 625x417) Image search: [Google]
confurger.jpg
112 KB, 625x417
>a series
>the news

Fuck, America, how hard is it to use a proper singular when it makes sense?

A serie, two series, see?
>>
File: 1437404564574.jpg (26 KB, 443x390) Image search: [Google]
1437404564574.jpg
26 KB, 443x390
>>53027084
>directs the question to America instead of the inventors of the English language as a passive aggressive jab at the UK because of the enormous collective chip on your nation's shoulder about being 2nd best
>>
>>53027431
The French are the inventors of the English language, you dumb bogan.

>>53027084
A series is a singular. Like a collection. It comes from the Latin seriēs, which is singular.

It's not that hard to understand. You say "un groupe d'enculés australiens," for example. It's a suite, or an ensemble.
>>
>>53027509
No the Romans and Germans made the English language
>>
>>53027084

I'm glad you think we invented the language

It gives me a star spangled boner
>>
Ain't us this time.

That's a problem from the very origins of the language.
>>
File: 1451763444582.jpg (93 KB, 776x647) Image search: [Google]
1451763444582.jpg
93 KB, 776x647
>>53027431

slash thread
>>
>>53027509
>A series is a singular
And that's what bothers me.
It's invariable, while looking absurdly like a plural.

I understand how it works, it's just plain weird and unsettling to use a "plural" for both uses.
>>
>>53027582
Australian opinions are kind of irrelevant, sorry buddy, but let me tell you, next time you come to America, I'll treat you to a bloomin' onion from Outback Steakhouse, make you feel right at home
>>
>>53027699
Why don't you just shoot me and get it over with?
>>
>>53027679
But there are many Latin and Greek loan words in English that are like that.

Take mathematics. It's a singular. Americans shorten it to math but UKians, illiterate as they are, shorten it to maths.
>>
>>53027431
Yeah, I realised that after posting. When I think about the dumbed down elements of your language USA comes to mind, I don't know why.

NB I never even thought about Australia.
>>
>>53027699
>next time you come to America
don't hold your breath lad
>>
>>53027699
English is more German than French. There's more memorable French English words, ie Sabre etc because they sound cool, but literally like 70% of the rest of English is shared with German.

t. Learnt both at school
>>
>>53027776
English was helpful while learning German, but don't flatter yourself too much, you delusional perfide.

>70%
laughingGuillaumeleConquérant.bayeux
>>
>>53027776
The adoption of non-rhoticity by your cucked island was to imitate the French
>>
>>53027845
French is really easy when you can usually get away with saying something in English with a French accent

German, not so much

Bongs will deny this, but don't believe them. French is far more natural to Anglophones than German
>>
>>53027875
>>53027845
There's a lot of French hilights in English, many nouns, especially prominent in military language for example.
But then bread and butter of English, connectives and more basic vocabulary is more in common to German than French. Not forgetting some Celtic stuff as well. Although ok 70% was a bit high.
>>
>>53027903
I was talking about my own experience with German. It's true that having a good hold of English vocabulary helps when learning German.
>>
>>53027903
M8
"What is that" = "Vas ist das"
German is the one that sounds that English in a funny accent, not French
>>
>>53027940
If what you're saying is that speaking English beyond a toddler's level involves a great deal of French (or Latin/Greek by way of French), then I most definitely agree
>>
>>53027970
Who = wer
Where = wo

AAAAAAAAAH, all my youthful autism
>>
>>53027970
That's pretty much the most famous of half a dozen examples of German sounding like English

Meanwhile, there are 10,000 words that are nearly identical between French and English
>>
>>53027970
You're forgetting no less than three genders and a completely unnatural subject-verb-object order and general syntax.

Meanwhile, the strangest thing about French is placing adjectives after nouns, which isn't even all that unnatural to a relatively educated speaker with some familiarity with Norman-influenced legal language.
>>
>>53027679
>It don't make no sense mister
You're like all those anglo fags who complain about gendered nouns.

Well done.
Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.