[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How are Mormons perceived in your country?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /int/ - International

Thread replies: 48
Thread images: 3
File: Joseph Smith.jpg (40 KB, 600x450) Image search: [Google]
Joseph Smith.jpg
40 KB, 600x450
How are Mormons perceived in your country?
>>
>>53016652
are there mormons outside of utah?
>>
>>53016652
>What are Mormons?
>>
>>53016652
There's not even one here.
>>
>>53016652
do we even have mormons?
>>
>>53016706
there's lots in são paulo
>>
Morons?
>>
weirdo faggots

theres a mormon church 10 minutes away from me and also 30 minutes away from me
>>
>>53016979
dunno if there's that many in europe
on the other hand they seem like jehova's witnesses, but less batshit insane
>>
the only mormons here are those american students who seem to spent two weeks of their holidays here. they are harmless and also kinda respected for their friendlyness but noone takes them serious because they dont have real jobs.
>>
>>53018336
eu moro em são paulo, já passei diferentes partes da minha vida em diferentes bairros e zonas, nunca vi um
>>
live near one of their 'churches'

they're goofy ameritards who go around all day trying to convert anyone who'll give them more than a moment's attention

I don't mind them. dumb religious shit aside, they seem to be good people without bad intent. never heard of any evidence of them trying to get anyone's bank details either
>>
>>53016652

My parents and grandparents grew up near Mount Zion in Missouri. They believe this is where everyone will be taken to heaven when the apocalypse comes or something. My grandpa said over the holiday "You know, Muhammad is a damn pedophile, but that Joseph Smith guy, he had something right, I tell ya"

Basically the mindset in the midwest in a nutshell
>>
we killed mormons
>>
>>53016652
They aren't.
>>
>>53016652
Most people see them as fanatics and gringos.
I see them as nice and cultured people. Never seem an ignorant Mormom before. (>inb4 huehue le imaginary ghost >not ignorant)
>>
>>53016652

Weird but acceptable. It helps them that they're white and participate in mainstream society, unlike Jehovah's Witnesses.

I got myself a Book of Mormon once both because I was curious, and also because I have a small collection of basic religious texts.

It is true that literally every third line of the book is "And it came to pass/and so it came to pass". Ironically, it seems pretty clear based upon reading such, that this is an unpoetic, uncreative variation on the themes of the KJV bible. Almost as if it was hastily written in a hurried, 19th-century voice.

My point being that that Smith or whoever the patriarch is (I get him mixed up with Brigham Young et al) did in fact write the text himself, and was joined by other patriarchs who super-duper swear on their m8's honor that the plates thing is true.

This "origin story" of a modern cult is comparable both to Crowley's Thelema, where he purported to receive a message from a discarnate source over three days (whose voice and penchants are remarkably similar to Crowley's own personal writing style) , and also of Scientology as having the same feature: a mediocre writer forces a new cult as a meme to the point that it is taken seriously---but for the curious fact that the language and tropes of the cult are remarkably similar to that writer's personal voice before the cult came to be (and of course the author is uniquely privileged in the new cosmology), and this is more obvious, the closer a more sophisticated public is, historically, to the latest cult's foundation.

Would that we could have turned such a sophisticated eye on the first century or three, or some few hundred years later. Oh who am I kidding it wouldn't have helped, the above memes have traction and legitimacy now.
>>
we have all mormon refugees in Chihuahua state. Even here was born Romneys father.
>>
Saviour of the white race
>>
Shitheads
>>
>>53016677
yes they flee to North Mexico.
>>
>>53016652
often by peeking around the blinds
>>
>>53016979
probably
every mormon must become a missionary and go across the world and try to convert as much people as possible.
they then build "temples" which are basically giant fort compounds where they horde food and supplies.
so basically they go to a state or country build a base then try to spread mormonism and then create more bases.

I don't know much about their mythos but they must be preparing for a zombie out beak or the apocalypse or something.
>>
>>53016652
The wahhabists of the US
>>
File: asdf.jpg (34 KB, 413x395) Image search: [Google]
asdf.jpg
34 KB, 413x395
>>53022139
>>
>>53022830
But they're nice
>>
>>53022830
mormons do go around chopping off heads.
>>
File: Mormon1.jpg (38 KB, 500x376) Image search: [Google]
Mormon1.jpg
38 KB, 500x376
>>53022806
if there ever was an apocalypse/race war/zombies outbreak I would convert to mormonism in an instant.

they basically have giant castles stocked full of supplies and I wouldn't want to be on the bad side of these cultists.
>>
>>53022930
>live in the desert
>homes are compounds
>lots of guns
>gaudy temples
>polygamy
>female dress code
>>
I believe it's their religious duty to go abroad and preach for a couple of years.

I talked to them when I lived in a smaller city. My mom would invite them to have some kompot because poor bastards can't have tea and talk to them because they're funny and few people would take them serious or listen to them once a week or so.

I've also been to an English club they used to run couple of times. Asked them why, if a prayer is like a letter to their father in heaven, they never ask how he's doing.

They are obvious heretics but way better than Jehova crowd or Scientologists.

Not sure what they look like in large groups though, don't think they're pretty.

t. Orthodox
>>
>>53016677

As I said, it's their duty to preach abroad for a while, so they can be found in surprising places.
>>
Like all protestants in this country they are after money, trying to convert the poor to their faith.
Also seem as the gringos that try to convert you to their church.
>>
>>53016652
utahjews
>>
Saviors of the white race
>>
Whacky American religion.
>>
>>53016652
I dont know

Sometimes see them,they always ride a bicycle
>>
>>53018543
Of course, Juninho. The porteiro of your gated community wouldn't let them knock on your door.
>>
I live in the Mormon heartland, so to hear something bad about them is rare
>>
killed
>>
>>53016652
They are not perceived.

Or as "slightly crazier kinda-protestant christians"
>>
>>53024435
but everything on that list is good
>>
Nonexistent.
>>
>>53016652
They are quite rare around here, wouldn´t even know they have temples ´n shit in europe if a former class mate of mine weren´t a LDS. Met some others through him, quite great guys to have around. But as already said, I think most of us Germans are actually quite oblivious of their existence as a whole or view them as wacky religious americans, just like Baptists and such.
>>
>>53016652
i like Ender's Game
>>
>>53026959
And I like the Twilight series
>>
>>53016652
As i've said before, they donate equipment to hospitals, so they can't be bad.
>>
>>53026509
>polygamy
>good
>>
>>53024701
>riding bike
>always wearing black suits
>always performing with two of them
Thread replies: 48
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.