[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is Heisig a good method to learn 2000 basic hanzi? Skritter is
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /int/ - International

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2
File: legs.jpg (258 KB, 1480x1109) Image search: [Google]
legs.jpg
258 KB, 1480x1109
Is Heisig a good method to learn 2000 basic hanzi? Skritter is too expensive.
>>
Why not kill yourself then everyone else in your smelly Italian family?
>>
rote learning is best learning

electronic aid learning is bad learning
>>
>>
>>52989968
It's kind of useless for Japanese so I doubt that it's any better for Chinese.
>>
>>52990428

a friend of mine told me it's excellent for kanji. Why you say it's useless?
>>
>>52989968
Just read up on the radicals, really no need to learn all the stupid heisig mnemonics. It's just important for you to visually recognise the different parts each hanzi is made of.
And you should learn the differences in radicals between common hanzi that look alike.
>>
>>52990508
>>52990466
Heisig's is not the preferred method because you always want to learn Hanzi/Kanji from their vocabulary, preferably within some sort of context to deepen your understanding of their use. Their makeup is important to learn too, but after some time you'll have an easier time remembering this by yourself, without the need to memorize an extremely long list of mnemonics.
>>
>>52990508

so radicals recognition is the key. Thank you. Any good book/resource to recommend?
>>
>>52990466
The first book only teaches the "meaning" of the kanji, which is only a vague interpretation of what the sign MIGHT mean in a word. This doesn't mean you'll be able to understand a text or read, it just makes it a bit easier to memorize vocab later.

If you want to be able to read you have to learn vocab, not just the meanings or readings of the hanzi/kanji.
There's also no point in doing all 2000 at once before you start reading, since it's fully possible to read a simple book with like 5-600 kanji. Given that you have a good vocabulary basted on them and some understanding of grammar.
>>
>>52990682
Basically this list
http://www.kanjidamage.com/radicals
It also works if you simply learn your vocab, and then with every new hanzi you encounter look up the radicals from the list. Use the names the kanjidamage guy has given the radicals to remember them for yourself.
After some time you will just remember and recognise the radicals and you won't need the list any more, but in the beginning it's going to take a lot of time.
>>
>>52990904

cool. But aren't Kanji different from simplified Hanzi?
>>
>>52991506
Yes, they are, but most simplifications are radical based. So you just find some other resource to learn the simplification for each radical.
>>
>>52989968
Nope, it's shit, outdated and some of the keywords he uses in his books are wrong.
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.