[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Can someone explain to me why the military junta in Myanmar decided
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /int/ - International

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 2
File: _85422515_hi028870332[1].jpg (28 KB, 660x371) Image search: [Google]
_85422515_hi028870332[1].jpg
28 KB, 660x371
Can someone explain to me why the military junta in Myanmar decided to transition to democracy? Because that never happens. The typical story is that dictators cling onto power at all costs, and ramp up the repression to any threat. Then it gets so bad a civil war or coup takes place, and the nation is wrecked for years. All the news stories focus on how great Aung San Suu Kyi is, but her party is in power only because the leaders let them.

In another universe, we'd be talking about "Rebel Commander Aung San Suu Kyi", Jihadist Rohingas declaring independence in the north, millions of refugees, and hundreds of thousands dead. So the Military Junta really should get a thanks for avoiding that mess. If only more authoritarian regimes realized this.
>>
>>52987877
They secured their power though. Military is the second biggest in parliament and Kyi isn't allowed to rule. If her puppet is influenced by the military then they achieved power by proxy
>>
>>52988602

Yeah, but those seem like reasonable trade offs though and I'm willing to pay those. NLD is the majority power in parliament. They eventually will transition to a full democracy without military influence, but that won't be for some time.

My question is why the compromize at all? Burmese government has previously tried the harsh crackdown method. Why the change between then and now?
>>
>>52987877
generaly military dictatorships slowly move towards democracy, the exception is when foreign powers consistently intervene in domestic affairs.
>>
>>52989279
Examples?
>>
>>52989351
Syria

Assad said he won't leave power until the domestic threat is eliminated but other countries are pro-longing the fighting
>>
>>52989351
both fascist portugal and spain in the 70's or ataturk's turkey
>>
>>52989861
?????????

He and his father before him had decades to enact democratic reforms and they didn't do it then. Their "elections" are a joke, it's always Assad vs an Assad supporter.
>>
>>52990386
>>52989861

Syria is the classic example of a dictator holding onto power through repression and destroying their nation in the process.

Burmese leaders chose to avoid this path.
>>
File: tips fedora.jpg (13 KB, 220x310) Image search: [Google]
tips fedora.jpg
13 KB, 220x310
>>
>>52990509
the middle east is a playground for proxy wars while indochina seems to be forgoten by the great powers
it's about oportunity, the syrian president saw what happened to his "fellow" dictators, some of them even were somewhat benevolent and yet they got the bullet for trying to build a state. Syrian regime didn't fall just because it was under russian protection.
Some places have to be kept down just so we can have our nice lifes, can you even imagine the economical disaster it would be if oil prices went up or dollar went downhill? (maybe even both)
we'd see the US and a few others entering in a scary as fuck depression while the rest of us would be dragged around as usual.
Any progress those countries make is a clear attack to our best interests, at least for now. Burma is irrelevant as of now, they are free to build a decent country free from cold wars and other nasty things resulting from global politics.
>>
>>52987877
>Can someone explain to me why the military junta in Myanmar decided to transition to democracy?
Because they were going broke as shit. It was either give democracy or at some point get Ceausescu'd.

Self preservation is a thing.
>>
military is gay
>>
>>52992104
>[user was shot for this post]
Nice proxy btw
>>
>>52992104

>proxies
>>
>>52987877
Finally being self-aware I guess. Most of ASEAN is poor, but not Myanmar-poor and at least something changed. Unlike them who stuck in the Cold War.
>>
>>52992367
not a proxy
>>
>>52992643

proofs?

stories?
>>
>>52992666
on holiday here, the locals like my white skin and they are very friendly people
>>
>>52992867

sex tourism?
>>
>>52992901
no, pretty sure prostitution is illegal here, the flight from the uk doesnt go to yangon in one stop and i was in thailand for a few days, didnt do a sex there though
>>
>>52993016

why then if not for the chinese pussy?
>>
>>52993098
cool country
Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.