[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
A peculiarity or phenomenon rather,I've noticed lately among
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /int/ - International

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 2
File: US_flag_48_stars.png (6 KB, 220x116) Image search: [Google]
US_flag_48_stars.png
6 KB, 220x116
A peculiarity or phenomenon rather,I've noticed lately among American people is their tendency to say that they're sorry they're going to mispronounce a foreigner's name,right before saying it,and then apologize for it afterwards.

WTF?

Why are they so convinced they're going to "mess up" a certain person's name.?
Obviously they consider this a form of politeness I'm guessing,but is quite the opposite and can be considered offensive.
This, however doesn't seem to be the case with English people which is quite odd since they tend to pronounce the names although not perfectly but accordingly and/or relating to their language standard as does THE REST OF THE FUCKING WORLD.
The way I see it,this could happen because of two main reasons.

1.They consider their language(English) superior.
2.They consider the foreigner's language(in which the name is originally and automatically derived from as inferior)

I'm confused /int/ why are they doing this?
>>
We aren't afraid of pronouncing it wrong, we're preempting pretentious cunts who nitpick every detail of our pronunciation.

It's a habit formed from dealing with Chinese who get buttblasted if you don't know how to cough in the right inflection.
>>
>>52959049
No its just we are shit at pronoucing words from other languages and don't want to insult people.
>>
it's being pretentious before you have the chance to correct them

passive aggression 101
>>
>>52959295
>their tendency to say that they're sorry
Literally false-flagging Canadians.
>>
Because we're so concerned with being tolerant that if we mispronounce a name we feel like we're going to offend them and so we meekly approach their names and ask for forgiveness.

What do want from us? If we mispronounce you make fun of us for being dumb Americans. If we apologize and admit we messed up you claim you're offended. Fucking hell we're surrounding by people that speak English our entire lives and except for Spanish we're separated by every other language by fucking oceans.

What do you want?
>>
>>52959458
mispronounce it and wait until they have the chance to absolve you if they will

if you assume that they will offend you don't even give them the chance to, then they are made into something that cannot be offensive to you
>>
>>52959049
We feel like idiots when we pronounce names wrong
>>
>>52959289
>>52959289
>>52959289
>>52959289
>>
>>52959049
Ke digjuar ndonjëherë të thot një emër Shqiptar? Ta dinje sa keq e thon, do ta merje vesh.
>>
>>52959049
Because fuck you Albania
PS Send qts
>>
Why do people say "sorry for my english" when they know their english is fine?

Holy shit, what a retarded thread. I have a non anglo surname and people fuck it up all the time so they just ask me how to pronounce it
>>
>>52959049
>>52959049
because you're a faggot LMAO
>>
It can be seen as offensive or humiliating to someone if you say their name wrong.

Or worse you might accidentally say a completely different word in their language instead
>>
>>52959049
It's obvious some people get mad because they mispronounce my extremely simple biblical name. England is a terrible example as well. A simple stroll through London will tell you it is not home to Anglos.
>>
>>52960841
Because we correct each other.
>>
>>52963383
Ndëgjuar*

Jo emër shqiptar,por kam hasur dhe kam vërejtur vështirsi në theksimin e emrave aziatik,afrikan dhe rus.
>>
A peculiarity or phenomenon rather,I've noticed lately among Albanian people is their tendency to say "I'm going to steal your stuff" ,right before doing it,and then not even apologize for it afterwards.

WTF?

Why are they so convinced they're going to "steal" a certain person's wallet.?
Obviously they consider this a form of a respectable career I'm guessing,but is quite the opposite and can be considered subhuman behaviour.
This, however doesn't seem to be the case with English people which is quite odd since they tend to behave as actual humans as does THE REST OF THE FUCKING EUROPE.
The way I see it,this could happen because of two main reasons.

1.They are subhuman.
2.They are subhuman.

I'm confused /int/ why are they doing this?
>>
>>52964546
>steal a person's wallet
Kidneys, you mean?
>>
>>52963753
That's exactly what I don't understand.
If,say an African name is pronounced by an American or vice versa the pronunciation should be considered innocent,thus rendering the term "offence" irrelevant for both speakers.
No need to apologize for it.
>>
>mfw lived in Texas
>they could never pronounce my name right
>I simply adopted the weird pronunciation and started introducing myself in it
>very awkward situation when friends who pronounced it right met friends who pronounced it wrong
>>
>>52965307
What is your name?
>>
>>52965409
Alberto Barbosa
>>
>>52965409
It's a native Brazilian name, and as all native brazilian names, it ends with a stressed vowel, much like french, Fiancé, for example.

But americans have trouble with that, so much so that I ended up giving up on correcting them.
>>
>>52964546
Ah,my Slavic neighbors.
You never cease to amaze me with your preposterous proclaims that the media feeds you on a daily basis.
Not only do you accept propaganda as a form of relief but you also proceed to share such unrealistic bullshit to a language debate on the internet in which neither of our countries are mentioned.
Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.