[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>alexander was handsome >alexander wasn't a 5'0"
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /int/ - International

Thread replies: 53
Thread images: 9
File: 1451528370610.jpg (177 KB, 683x470) Image search: [Google]
1451528370610.jpg
177 KB, 683x470
>alexander was handsome
>alexander wasn't a 5'0" ultra manlet

>Alexander seated on Darius' throne was deprived of great pleasure so a table is placed under Alexander's feet when his legs prove too short to reach the floor.
>too short to even reach the ground from Darius' throne
>>
>>52876452
Implying his height wasn't average for the time. Europeans used to be 5'-5'4'' average.
>>
File: download.jpg (10 KB, 318x158) Image search: [Google]
download.jpg
10 KB, 318x158
>>52876666
pic related 30k years ago hand prints. The man that made them was 6 feet tall
>>
Kill up itself botch Alexander was 6 foot 3 dirty nigger Chicano sudaca Chink faggot
>>
>>52876731
Yes, but hunter gatherers had very good diets, comparable to modern nutrition. Paleo diet?

You see a height decrease at the dawn of agriculture that only starts recovering after the green revolution.
>>
>>52876800
Are you saying the Persians were a race of super giants, greeks were midgets? or that Persian royalty were all giants like pic related so they had a throne so big no one else could sit on it
>>
>>52876452
The Persian kings had the footstool as well. It was so that their feet didn't touch the ground, because they were so holy.

Alexander was not particularly manlet, as far as we know.
>>
>>52876731
Well, that is only a single individual.

Secondly, there is actually some evidence of scaffolding in some prehistoric rock art sites, I think it was Lascaux.
>>
>>52876868
Greeks were in fact midgets by modern standards. The average Greek man was, like Alexander, 5 feet tall. Average Roman legionnaires were 5'4,'' and they were the manly men of the day.

Persians might be slightly taller since Mesopotamia was the bread basket of the West. The Persian kings were probably just very tall by chance.
>>
>>52876868
>>52876966
But Alexander wasn't Greek.
>>
>>52876966

WE WUZ KINGS N SHIT

t. Manlets
>>
>>52876666

Except that's bullshit. We've grown a little taller through history but mostly larger in recent years by meat consumption.

There is only a small period of famine etc in Europe where people were significantly shorter.

Google it and read before perpetuating myths and talking out of your arse
>>
Alexander was Illyrian therefore awesome
>>
>>52876993
t. ivan "proud macedonian" slavovitchsky
>>
>>52877109
Oh, no, Fyromians are just Bulgarians.

But actual Macedonians weren't Greek either.
>>
>>52876666
Nope. Retard.

His Greek contemporaries noted and recorded how he was short, which is interesting because Macedonians were taller than Greeks at the time.
>>
>>52876966
>Average Roman legionnaires were 5'4,'' and they were the manly men of the day.
They were actually considered short by the celts.
Caesar, during the Gaul campaign, wrote of gaulic women taunting legionaries with their breasts, calling them babies and children.
>>
>>52877163
Alexander was greek.
>>
>>52877186
Germanics were tall too
>>
>>52877170
Which Greek contemporaries?

Because we have no surviving contemporary accounts, so if you have access to one I'd imagine scholars would be interested.
>>
>>52877186
>Caesar, during the Gaul campaign, wrote of gaulic women taunting legionaries with their breasts, calling them babies and children.
>>
>>52877205
It doesn't work like in CKII, Wong.
>>
>>52877025
White people were short just like everyone else before they got better nutrition. Is that so hard to believe?
http://cdn.theatlantic.com/assets/media/img/posts/2014/05/Screen_Shot_2014_05_06_at_3.13.29_PM/6d1c7a57b.png

In 1850, at the dawn of the industrial revolution, most white populations were barely 5'3'' (male). Some Northern populations were 5'5''-5'6'' at the time while Americans were 5'9''.

>>52877226
They were only a few inches taller. If Romans were on average 5'1''-5'4'' Germanics would have been 5'3''-5'6''
>>
File: 1451243383526.png (49 KB, 250x186) Image search: [Google]
1451243383526.png
49 KB, 250x186
>>52877287
He was greek culturally, religiously and linguistically and hellenic which all makes him a hellene therefore a greek. He was also born in pic related (Pella), which is in the modern-day Macedonia region of Greece.

He was Ἀλέξανδρος, not Aлeкcaндap.

>Wong
I'm not canadian, Abdullah.
>>
File: images (4).jpg (9 KB, 191x263) Image search: [Google]
images (4).jpg
9 KB, 191x263
>>52876452
>Alexander killed so much he was the Genghis khan of his time
>Alexander's empire lasted 10% the time the Mongol empire lasted
>>
>>52877376
The ancient Macedonians were not Greek in any meaningful way, and certainly not culturally. The fact the modern day region of Macedon is part of Greek territory is utterly meaningless. You might as well argue that Ephesus was built by Turks because it is now in Turkish territory.

Alexander was educated Greek, but this does not make him Greek, and it certainly does not make the Macedonians Greek.
>>
>>52877542
"Greek" just meant "muh city-states muhfuggah". Macedonia and Epirus were Greek in every other sense.
>>
>>52877376
For instance, the Macedonians did not burn their dead, like the Greeks, they buried them in tumulus burials much like other eastern European tribes to the North.

They were had, very, very little urbanisation right up until Philip's reign, again unlike the Greeks and practised a kind of feudalism unlike even other Greek monarchies.

They also practised polygamy, which is absolutely not Greek.

I would argue that the Macedonians weren't Greek at all, and were in fact, Macedonian with their own, distinct culture that, over time, was supplanted by Greek and later Roman culture and identity.

The fact the Macedonians worshipped the Greek pantheon isn't that meaningful either, the gods and goddesses of the Indo-Europeans were pretty much identical right across Europe.

Question is, did the Macedonians always speak Greek, or did they speak a different Indo-European language that was supplanted by Greek?

Or, did they speak a language so similar to Greek that it was broadly mutually intelligible and that was later "standardised" during Philip's Hellenification of the Macedonian elite?

Or did the Macedonian language/dialect ever really go away? I'm sure we have some fragments in comedies making fun of thick Macedonian accents and verbal tics, are these in fact features of a separate dialect?
>>
>>52877998
Wrong.
>>
File: vittorio-sgarbi-in-camicia.jpg (50 KB, 625x416) Image search: [Google]
vittorio-sgarbi-in-camicia.jpg
50 KB, 625x416
>>52878272
They were greek.
>>
>tfw manlet gains
>>
>>52876452

Average Roman soldier was around 160cm so you know, not that short for the time. The barbarians like Gauls were over 6 feet though.
>>
>>52878332
Chigau.
>>
>>52878363
source?
>>
>>52876452
>manlets used to be fierce warriors and conquers thousands of years ago
>manlets are crybabies with low self esteem in 2015
W E W
E
W
>>
>>52878272
>For instance, the Macedonians did not burn their dead, like the Greeks, they buried them in tumulus burials much like other eastern European tribes to the North.
Philip II was burnt
>>
>>52878272
I'd argue that, if Macedonian was a similar language to Greek that became increasingly similar due to interaction, that there may well be a parallel in the supposed "disappearance" of the Pictish language.

If we accept the Picts spoke a Brittonic Celtic language (which they probably did) then it seems likely that, if the rulers became culturally and linguistically Gaelic between 850-900 AD (as outlined by Alex Woolf) that eventually the Pictish language became fused with Irish Gaelic to create Scottish Gaelic. But then, linguistics really isn't my thing and I am not at all qualified in it.

Merely thinking aloud.
>>
Alexander is hot in Civ 5
>>
>tfw no Macedonian military genius bf
>>
>>52878477
Yes, because Philip II tried really, really hard to be Greek.

Prior to him, all rulers were buried in tumulus mounds.
>>
File: Diadochen1.png (2 MB, 2000x961) Image search: [Google]
Diadochen1.png
2 MB, 2000x961
>>52878272
You can name countless of differences like this between Sparta and Athens themselves, and the rest of the Hellenic world. It's believed that they spoke NW Greek probably with extra Thracian and other peripheral influences. If you're going to blow up every diverging custom you could argue that every Greek state and tribe wasn't actually Greek. At the end of the day there are more similarities than dissimilarities.

Greekness was quite politicized and not following the polis format would be a big reason to look down on them.

Anyway, after Alexander things become very different. I don't see how anyone can deny it by that point.
>>
>>52878615
Always found him annoying in Civ IV.

Always the first to get rekt.
>>
>>52878653
>Yes, because Philip II tried really, really hard to be Greek.

>Prior to him, all rulers were buried in tumulus mounds.
so they were Greek by the time
>>
>>52878671
>You can name countless of differences like this between Sparta and Athens themselves, and the rest of the Hellenic world.

Really? I can't.

It's a completely different social organisation, completely different funerary culture, completely different basic domestic culture.

I really cannot think of any differences of this magnitude and type in the rest of the Greek world.

>Anyway, after Alexander things become very different. I don't see how anyone can deny it by that point.

Again, I'd argue that's not entirely valid. The Hellenic world was as much Persian and Egyptian as it was Greek, and even then we only really know about the ruling class. We really don't know what effect Philip's and Alexander's attempts to Hellenise the Macedonian court would have had on rest of the population. An increase in urbanism, certainly, but I couldn't say if they stopped polygamy, tumulus burials and et cetera, I'm simply not knowledgeable about the archaeology of Macedon post Alexander.
>>
Penis bitch nigger Alexander was 6 foot bitch

Stupid bitch slut fuck
>>
>>52878745
That's a very arbitrary way of putting it.

If you're saying that at the moment they lit Phillip's pyre all Macedonians became Greek I'd say you're an idiot.

It could be argued that after Philip the Macedonian court and ruling elites were at least CULTURALLY Greek, but how far that extends is another matter.
>>
>>52878745
And then you're getting into slightly wanky anthropological questions of"what is culture?" and "what makes one Greek?"
>>
>>52878363
>The barbarians like Gauls were over 6 feet though.
Hell no. Maybe a few extraordinary cases, but men rarely got past 5'10. Tacitus said Roman calvarymen needed to be 5'6-8, which was considered tall for the Romans. The Gauls were probably somewhere around there.

Julius Caesar was 5'6, and he was considered tall by his contemporaries.
>>
>>52878745
Basically, I think if you'd really like to know you'd have to think about the bronze age migrations from the Balkans into Hellas, which I know very little about, but then I'm kinda under the impression that even the experts know very little about what happened.
>>
File: before after 1st contact.jpg (146 KB, 711x866) Image search: [Google]
before after 1st contact.jpg
146 KB, 711x866
>>52879334
greeks suck anyway
>>
>>52879365
Ah, to be fair on the Greeks they did threat stuff later on.
>>
>>52876800
[citation needed]
>>
>>52877186
>Caesar, during the Gaul campaign, wrote of gaulic women taunting legionaries with their breasts, calling them babies and children.
Pretty hot desu
Thread replies: 53
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.