[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why do Americans use the word actually so much? You could omit
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /int/ - International

Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 3
File: 130.png (347 KB, 400x650) Image search: [Google]
130.png
347 KB, 400x650
Why do Americans use the word actually so much? You could omit it 90% of the time and the sentence would carry the exact same meaning, at what point did the term become meme?
>>
it sounds kind of rude in a conversation to be straightforward. we fame europeans for being direct
>Aren't all Spaniards brown like Mexicans?
>No. They aren't.
or
>Actually, no they aren't.
>>
>>52793047
>when American say "the government was" instead of "the government were"

they LITERALLY cannot speak english senpai
>>
>>52793256
urbanites use the former while the rural population uses the later
>>
>>52793256
>"the government was" instead of "the government were"
Things like that fucked me up hard time in school.
>>
File: 1435375701361.gif (116 KB, 275x200) Image search: [Google]
1435375701361.gif
116 KB, 275x200
>>52793256
>watching sports match with American commentators
>"France has"
>"Sweden has"
>"Japan has"
>mfw
>>
>>52793256
>the governments were
>>
>>52793256
The government is a monolithic entity of oppression. It is grammatically correct to use "was".
>>
>>52793256
No your English is simply just degenerate. Get with the times.
>>
>>52793169
You know, we have the entire east coast, famously known for being direct and straight to the point.

I suppose legit urban environments tend to spawn a more direct attitude and approach to communication.
>>
>>52793636
>east coast
*northeast
they're too european in a lot of areas, especially speech
>>
English is the objectively the worst language ever created. It is redundant, hard to learn, and the pronunciation is retarded as fuck.

Romance languages master race.
>>
>>52793766
t. favelado

English is the easiest natural language to learn, and if it wasn't for the fucked up pronunciation, it would be EVEN easier.
>>
>>52793256
What are you talking about

"the government were" is never correct English even in England as far as I am aware. Government is not plural.
>>
>>52795956
They only say "The government was" in American English, in other places it's "the government were". You guys do it with the names of countries and words like "team" as well. They're singular in American English, but plural in other Englishes.
>>
>>52795995
Team and government are singular, retard.
>>
>>52795995
u need some more sleep mate
>>
>>52796016
Yeah I know, but only in American English
>>
>>52796118
Point me to an example in British English and I'll believe you otherwise you sound retarded
>>
>>52796132
>Point me to an example in British English
Look at any British article m8

>At the time, the government were accused of a fudge

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-35053449
>>
This doesn't make sense, it is ONE government of ONE country. It's fucking singular.
Quod erat demonstrandum.
Are brits to retarded to speak their own language?
And I thought Americans were unable to speak English. Turns out that any native speaker is fucking retarded with their native language.
>>
>>52796210
They call Mathematics Maths, but Don't call Economics Econs...
>>
>>52796171
>http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-35053449
Sounds utterly retarded
>>
>>52796264
You sound just as retarded to us though desu
>>
>>52796320
dont care familia
>>
>>52796320
But it is against all logic, please enlighten me, how does it make sense?
One government of one country, how is it plural?
>>
>>52796320
Not really
>>
>>52796381
>One government of one country, how is it plural?
There's lots of people in the government. There's also lots of people in a team, so team is always plural too.

>Mr Luscombe estimated that the team were able to collect about 1,000 seeds
>http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-34378953

Seriously lads, this is NOT hard. It's basic English.
>>
File: 1450399902898.jpg (27 KB, 640x640) Image search: [Google]
1450399902898.jpg
27 KB, 640x640
>>52796439
that is retarded
>>
>>52796439
There's lots of molecules in a person, does that make person plural?
>>
>>52796439
It's irrelevant how many people are in there.
Humans are made out of billions of cells and are still singular.
ONE team, ONE government, singular as fuck.
If it were plural it'd be impossible to count.
I knew English was retarded in its grammatical structures, but wow.
>>52796478
Yes, apparently everything is plural.
>>
>>52796449
>>52796478
>>52796493
It's just how it is, obviously the same logic that applies to this doesn't apply for EVERYTHING. Well, enjoy your American "English", I guess.
>>
>>52796541
the warnings were duly presented.-
>>
>>52796541
Hell, I bet my ass that in all Indo-European languages it at least follows basic logic.
English is weird as it is, but this takes the cake.
>>
>>52796439

>There's also lots of people in a team, so team is always plural too.

That's not true though. One person can be a team competing against another person representing a team.
>>
>>52796570
capitalizing nouns doesn't follow logic imho
>>
>>52796439
Americans will literally stand in front of an entire audience (of maybe hundreds or thousands of people) and scratch their heads wondering why we use the plural for words like "audience". Does this make sense to you?

>The audience were still scratching their heads when Ted Cruz popped up to say what America really needed
>http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-33825669
>>
>>52796615
Could be bias because I grew up with it, but it adds a lot to the readability.
>>
>>52796630
audience is singular, the people in the audience are plural.

you guys literally don't understand how a word can represent a singular entity of multiple parts can you? retard tier...
>>
>>52796670
i'm sure it makes sense to you, i just decided to mention that cause you were starting to get a bit too smug about the english language.
>>
>>52796610

Well actually technically a team I guess is defined as two or more people.

But it'd be a bit weird to have three people in Team Red vs just John instead of Team Red vs. Team Blue.
>>
>>52796700
I despise it a lot.
Its grammar is retard tier, yet many natives don't know how to speak and write it correctly.
Recently I have seen that Germans have begun to not bother with their language as well and many TV shows have incorrect grammar too. It's one of the reasons why I don't watch TV anymore.
Every German should be able to read Luther's bible, or they're no Germans.
>>
>>52796727
>Well actually technically a

There's that word again

We loop right back around
>>
>>52796782
>Its grammar is retard tier, yet many natives don't know how to speak and write it correctly.

This is true of pretty much every language though, to be fair.
>>
>>52793256
>when british say "maths is hard" instead of "maths are hard" or "math is hard".

If mathematics is singular: abbreviate it as math.

If mathematics are plural: say, "maths are fun," not "maths is fun."

If it's a rule to keep the last letter of an abbreviated word, be consistent with the rule (economics -- econs. instead of econ., advertisement -- addt instead of add, British -- Brith. instead Brit., et cetera -- etca. instead of etc.)

"maths" is a horrific betrayal of linguistic integrity.
Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.