[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Military Culture Thread?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /int/ - International

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 4
File: 1444139360003.jpg (318 KB, 794x1080) Image search: [Google]
1444139360003.jpg
318 KB, 794x1080
I wanted to learn about a couple of things about the world's militaries.
>How is your military viewed in your country?
>How do foreign countries view your military?
>Does your country have a history of peacekeeping, aggression, or defense in regards to military action?

Hardmode, no bravado or empire waving.

>US
>Population views it favorably in general
>Countries in general dislike the US Military
>Peacekeeping/Aggression
>>
force of evil
idk sandniggers like us for some reason, maybe because we liberated them them from french ang anglo aggresion
only peacekeeping ;^)
>>
>>52786665

America has not been aggressive, we have been following a policy of defensive imperialism much like the Romans did, however.
>>
>>52787119
Maybe not literally aggressive as in invading foreign nations willy nilly, but when peacekeeping we tend to be very aggressive when permitted.
>>
>>52786665
Despised by some people, generally respected but not glorified by most

Probably ridiculed and seen as pathetic by most, its not terrible but small and could use more funding.

History defensive and peaceful, recently some minor deployments
>>
>>52787060
>>52787333
Bundeswehr?
>>
>>52787445
zivildienst nigger
i probably saw more dead people than most people in the army,but not the heroic ones
>>
>>52786665
More of these 40s-50s retrofuture tech
>>
>>52787603
Sorry to hear that.

Do you talk to anyone about your service or is it generally not discussed in Germany?
>>
File: 5262687879_cb59917840_z.jpg (121 KB, 640x408) Image search: [Google]
5262687879_cb59917840_z.jpg
121 KB, 640x408
>>52787620
>>
>>52787840
i was pushing beds and wheelchairs from point a to b in an hospital
its quiet a good lesson for life but no service to your country, i did rather skip that if i had the oppertunity
>>
>>52786665
Flag
The images of the army is improved after the two-three decades of shitting and distrust.
Either scared of it (Baltic countries) or underestimate it (underage experts-on-the-couch from the Internet).
All of it
>>
File: Shut it down.jpg (32 KB, 408x632) Image search: [Google]
Shut it down.jpg
32 KB, 408x632
>>52787883
>That Star of David on his right shoulder
>>
>>52788025
Ah, okay. Is being part of zivildienst something that is accepted as normal now or is it looked down on by younger Germans?
>>
Brazil
Seems as glamorous and mighty. But also oppressive because of the military dictatorship.

Most foreigners don't even know Brazil has a military, that's why Brazilians have been flooding youtube with videos titled "Brazilian military" and showing lots of videos, to impress the gringos.

No at all.
>>
>>52787620
Almost positive that picture is just a joke. The name is a play on the "Flying fortress" bomber, and the bus's bomb sights (wut) are probably making fun of the Norden bomb site on US bombers.
>>
>>52788458
It is a joke but it's still somewhat retro-future.

Battle Buses are comparable to modern IFV's in terms of goals.
>>
>>52788577
true. That picture's hilarious though
>>
>>52788242
we have no draft anymore
i was one of the last ones who had to do that
most people did civil service anyway because it was way more compfy than military drill anyway, i was watching tv 1/3 of the time and could boss around people around because i wore some white uniform, had to transport people in some biohazardsuit, randomly checked by the emergency room in my town and shit
>>
test
>>
>>52788772
Oh okay.
>>
>>52786665
No
No
>Does your country have a history of peacekeeping, aggression, or defense in regards to military action?
No
>>
>>52789159
There was that time your civil defense agency stopped a lava flow with hoses
>>
File: 1375716356920.jpg (239 KB, 1165x842) Image search: [Google]
1375716356920.jpg
239 KB, 1165x842
>>52786665
Instantly reminded of this.
>>
>>52789487
>civil defense agency
sounds so formal
>>
>>52786665

Saviours of the fatherland.

Besides many defense treaty, selling, buting deals etc... i don't think many know much

Back in the emipre we kicked some ass, nowadays are mostly peacekeeping in other shitholes around africa and central america
>>
Respected by the majority of the people in the country, generally favourable view.

Good things about our soldier's from cooperation with US, Canada and other western nations, but former colonies still have the view of evil imperialist British empire.

All of them
>>
>>52786665

Favorably by most. It varies though, some see it as a waste of resources. Younger folks I know tend to see conscription as a pain in the ass but look back on it fondly when they've served their time.

Don't think anyone cares very much. Sweden relies on it to keep the Ruskies out and NATO sees us as a buffer zone.

Fought the USSR and the Nazis during WW2. Lost against the Soviets but still kicked some ass compared to our size, it's a great source of national pride here.
Now it's defensive and minor peacekeeping trips.
>>
(Copied from >>52791322)
>>52786665
>>How is your military viewed in your country?
>Favorably by most. It varies though, some see it as a waste of resources. Younger folks I know tend to see conscription as a pain in the ass but look back on it fondly when they've served their time. However it's become a badge of honor for many as the requirements to get in are to strict and only 5/6K are allowed each year.
>>How do foreign countries view your military?
>We protect Iceland so they like us. Besides that we're just like any other smaller European nation.
>>Does your country have a history of peacekeeping, aggression, or defense in regards to military action?
>Defence and peacekeeping, since 1905 it was about defending from Sweden, which led to Germany walking right in. Since WW2 it's been mainly NATO defence and UN peacekeeping. Unless you count bombing in Libya and Afghanistan as aggression.
Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.