[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>Cologne is a German city Bullshit, why does it sound French?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /int/ - International

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 1
File: Shego.jpg (20 KB, 437x446) Image search: [Google]
Shego.jpg
20 KB, 437x446
>Cologne is a German city

Bullshit, why does it sound French?
>>
>>52767197
Do you know what the native German name for the city is? Look it up, it might shock you! :)
>>
>>52767197
Why did I jack off to her so much, why!?
>>
>>52767197
what about aachen or rather aix-la-chapele
historical frankish capital

look how many "german cities" have slavic origin in name. dresden, schwerin, leipzig - those words means litrerally nothing in german and are just germanised slavic words
berlin itself meant "swamp city" and was found by sprevane polabians. folk etymology explained it by some bear lol
>>
>>52767197
>Thailand
>There's no thigh
>>
>>52767197

Cuz it was French. It only became Prussian recently.

>Cologne lost its status as a free city during the French period. According to the Peace Treaty of Lunéville (1801) all the territories of the Holy Roman Empire on the left bank of the Rhine were officially incorporated into the French Republic (which had already occupied Cologne in 1794). Thus this region later became part of Napoleon's Empire. Cologne was part of the French Département Roer (named after the River Roer, German: Rur) with Aachen (French: Aix-la-Chapelle) as its capital. The French modernised public life, for example by introducing the Napoleonic code and removing the old elites from power. The Napoleonic code remained in use on the left bank of the Rhine until 1900, when a unified civil code (the Bürgerliches Gesetzbuch) was introduced in the German Empire. In 1815 at the Congress of Vienna, Cologne was made part of the Kingdom of Prussia, first in the Jülich-Cleves-Berg province and then the Rhine province.
>>
>>52767367
>frankish
Germanic tbhf
>>
>>52767197
You do know the official name is Köln right? Cologne sounds better though
>>
>>52767367
t. Albrzensc Barboszczy
>>
>>52767367
everything west of rhine is rightful French clay desu senpai
>>
>>52767559
>rhine
Rhône
>>
>>52767486
>implying the name doesn't come from the roman settlement
>>
>>52767512
yeah, too bad they adopted latin language like those turks who adopted slavic (I don't mean bolghars who got assimilated)
germanic france would be more interesting, even if it excluded occitania. imagine burgundian and norman germanic languages still surviving too
english wouldn't look that un-germanic, only romance countries would be those who had barely any germanic presence

>>52767559
yeah rhenanie je france
>>
>>52767586
>Rhone
Rhein
>>
>>52767197
>>52767346

post hot pictures of that anime girl
>>
>>52767197
>Cologne
>Not Köln

It's not our fault your cuck language doesn't recognize its original name.
>>
>>52767708
No, the Rhône
>>
>>52767708
>Rhein
Rijn
>>52767812
>Köln
Keulen

Reminder that the Dutch wuz Charlemagne n shit
>>
>>52767586
>rhine
Rhin
>>
>>52767586
But that's a different river
>>
>>52767878
The Rhône is a river is switzerland, we're talking about the Rhein/Rhin/Reno/Rijn is a river that passes Netherlands, Germany and switzerland.
>>
>>52767486
There are also other cities which originally had such sounding names, but German naming got adopted instead of English name (like Cologne, Nuremberg)

Coblence, Mayence, etc. Also Lipswick/Leipsic from Slavic part.

We call this and Aachen more similarly to those names. Akwizgran Koblencja, Moguncja. Also Lipsk

From lands Slesvig-Holstein was originally called Sleswick-Holsatia, Mecklenburg-Vorpommern (both Slavic in origin) was Mecklenburg-Western Pomerania, etc

I hate this revisionism of the English language, it happened also to Chinese (Peking, Canton, this is not just about bad transliteration) or Islamic/Arabic terms (how Prophet used to be called Mohammed rather than Muhammad, etc)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_English_exonyms_for_German_toponyms

If it was to make English more germanic it would be understandable, but it's just adopting names as they're written in alien languages in their native way. So if we call Eskimos Inuits and Lapps Sami, why not call Germans Deutsche?
>>
>>52767999
Yeah the one mentioned in the Treaty of Verdun, the one that defines the earliest incarnation of modern France
>>
>>52768059
*Meant Schleswig-Holstein XD This is German and modern revisionist English name
>>
>>52768031
That's the joke. The Rhône is further west so they'd get less land
>>
>>52768059
>So if we call Eskimos Inuits
that's not the same though

Inuits ARE Eskimos, but not all Eskimos are Inuits. Also Eskimo is not an English exonym, but a Cree one IIRC.
>>
>>52767197
You mean Aix-la-Chapelle, right ?
>>
>>52768220
Thanks Canadian friend. I never knew
>>
>>52768360
Fun fact: it's the main reason why in Alaska the term "Eskimo" is considered fine (because there are also non-Inuit Eskimos, i.e. Yupiks), but in Canada (where we only have Inuits, no Yupiks), the term "Eskimo" is considered politically incorrect (a bit retarded if you ask me but that's what it is).
Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.