[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Diversity in Brazil
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /int/ - International

Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 5
File: para.jpg (17 KB, 275x183) Image search: [Google]
para.jpg
17 KB, 275x183
Hi there. I thought and googled about well-known picture of Paraisopolis(Sao Paulo in Brazil). Are there any people from Brasil that can explain how such segregation can exists in all country. Are there any preventers? Mentality isn't indian at all.
>>
>>52728030
Extremely inequality and elimination of competition. Brazil needs cheap labor so keeping millions in poverty helps businessmen who live on the right side of the picture hire the people who live on the left cheaply so his company can grow no matter how inefficient and shitty it is.
>>
File: 1442078652491.jpg (53 KB, 649x400) Image search: [Google]
1442078652491.jpg
53 KB, 649x400
>>52728193
Pic related

>>52728030
It is an extreme photo, an invaded region near a really rich neighborhood. Still, I am not saying that we are not unequal, but don't fall into memes.

About the acceptance, it is just false. Brazil has one of the highest crimes levels in the world due to this.
>>
>>52728193
With no offense, Anonymous, have You heard about such comparison of Russia and Brasil. What do You think?
>>
>>52728377
It is /int/ favorite comparison, but it's used to offend Russians, for Brazilians it's a compliment since Brazil is more like South Africa.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coronelism
>>
>>52728030

The country is divided between low IQ descendants of slaves (blacks and indians) and Portuguese losers who dominated demographic growth during 20th century in one side and not-so-low-IQ descendants of more recent Asian-European immigration and successful Portugueses with some black/indian heritage.
>>
>>52728772
Something like that we have also in Ukraine. Big landlords, big retailers and so on. But TV and mentality didnt let to see people themselves similar to people in Russia and Brasil and make the proper international view about that))
>>
>>52728030
I know where is it :D

>google maps
>-23.614603, -46.730822
>>
>>52729040
I saw it. Thanks!
>>
>>52729082
and they are not so poor as it may seems.
their houses are fucking shiet but they have inside a lot of eletronics. those motherfuckers have nicier tvs than me.

they dont pay any taxes! no bills!

and every house has an SKY (pay tv) antenna with every channel with illegal signal. those motherfuckers have what I have to pay a fortune for free...
>>
File: Dentro-Paisagens16.jpg (849 KB, 1151x768) Image search: [Google]
Dentro-Paisagens16.jpg
849 KB, 1151x768
>>52729228
>their houses are fucking shiet but they have inside a lot of eletronics. those motherfuckers have nicier tvs than me.

Sure thing.

>believing government propaganda
>>
>>52729228
Somewhere about that I asked. Without TV and some free things to get life will be very bored.
>>
>>52728030
That place on the left is middle-class neighborhood.

>One friend of mine, from a favela in Rio, complains bitterly that she and her family are now considered ‘middle class’ while they face exclusion, hardship, and even open prejudice and racism every single day. The government is right to include her in the demographic middle class. But she’s also very right.
http://frombrazil.blogfolha.uol.com.br/2013/03/22/what-is-middle-class/

>The document, produced by the Presidential Office of Strategic Affairs, sets a per capita monthly income of 291 reais ($145) as the threshold for middle class status.
http://latino.foxnews.com/latino/lifestyle/2012/09/20/brazil-middle-class-swells-as-35-mn-climb-out-poverty/

>The very notion of middle class in Brazil is quite different from the standards of North America and Western Europe.
>Instead, the term is used broadly to include almost anyone able to pay rent, put food on the table and perhaps pay a monthly installment on the refrigerator, microwave or television that Brazil's government often touts as a sign of their emergence. The so-called "Classe C," the bottom rung of Brazil's middle class, earns as little as 1730 reais a month, about $790, and, unlike the much-smaller upper middle class, relies largely on public transportation, health services and schools.
http://www.reuters.com/article/us-brazil-middle-specialreport-idUSBRE9620DT20130703
>>
>>52728030
The country is unequal, but don't believe the memes, ffs. That pic is an extreme situation and that's why it's become so popular. Don't think you'll see stuff like that everywhere here.
And I wouldn't believe what anons tell you either, even more regarding Brazil. Brazilians here tend to either hate their country(the majority) but there are also some that want to make everything look perfect here. And foreigners usually don't know shit and have opinions based on what they've read here and have seen on the internet(and obviously shit like liveleak.com is one of their main sources).

>>52729308
He seems to be talking about Paraisópolis specifically, dumbass.
>>
>>52728030
This is a common landscape across south america , at least, or across latin america, at most.

Another famous example is the wall in between las casuarinas (one of the richest neighborhoods of lima, peru) and a bunch of invasiones (one of the spanish terms used to refer to shanty towns or slums, it's more or less equivalent to favela)
>>
>>52729611
I'm from SP and that kind of landscape is not really that common around here. Usually it goes like a "dégradé" from the richest regions to the poorest(favelas), and you'll likely see both if you go from a city to another, but nothing like that in the pic, a rich condo right next to a favela.
>>
>>52729444
"Rising" of middle class in first article is informant:( By the way most people of Ukraine live for official salary 50$ (nearly 1250 UAH). You can be salesman in a shop, assistant of judge or admin in a government subdivision and get 50$. Sad but true.
>>
>>52728030
The middle and upper class usually look down at the poor as scum (uneducated, unpolite, etc..), and since they are also the political elite, there are no real reforms to adress the problem specially considering educaiton and land redistribition. The poor are too dumb to move, so we are living an endless cycle.
>>52728864
The second richest State is made entirely by Portugueses and mixed people, apart from a few germans and swiss descendants.
>>
File: Paraisópolis_09_10_20113472.jpg (320 KB, 800x533) Image search: [Google]
Paraisópolis_09_10_20113472.jpg
320 KB, 800x533
>>52729524
>He seems to be talking about Paraisópolis specifically, dumbass.

I'm not seeing any LCD screen here.
>>
>>52729738
Sao Paulo Anonymous, what is "magic quadrangle" in about city center? Not a place for tourist isnt it?
>>
>>52729024
We haven't had coronelism in ages in Brazil, though. It's used as a symbol of how corrupted we used to be and how we have improved to still pretty shitty levels of corruption.
>>
>>52730535
Coronelism still exist in the northeast
>>
>>52730009
is South of Brasil much better than other parts? Is mentality same in general?
>>
>>52730053
Since that's the only house in Paraisópolis, I guess you're right.

>>52730601
Shit, is it just like in the history books?
>>
>>52730535
Brazil still is essentially Coronelism, it's just a small variation with the government included this time, but government helps them get stronger as long they help specific politicians get elected.
>>
>>52730697
Take a look at the hdi rank, it pretty much reflects the reality concerning living standards.
>Is mentality same in general?
Do you mean regarding the inequality? That's very difficult to measure, but I wouldn't say it's very different when compared to Brazil as a whole.
>>
>>52730697
Not really. Mentality is the same.
>>
>>52730924
saw hdi rank in wiki. About mentality - I asked more about "european mentality", in one word "Tolerance"relatively private space and property, respect for the others.
>>
>>52728030
Meme pic
>>
One more question to Brazil. Do You love Your singers? I mean mostly in Ukraine you can be well-known singer only with connections and money. Talent doesnt matter. "Voice of Ukraine" is a proof. What about Yours singers?
>>
File: aerealagoazul1-eloiraiol.jpg (166 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
aerealagoazul1-eloiraiol.jpg
166 KB, 800x600
>>52731245
Meme rite?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PtgF6fh_uVU

Even behind my gated community there is this small strip of favela and the poor people there come beg for food and money in the entrance of the gated community. One of them even cleans my house for 5 dollars a day.
>>
>>52731631
What appeared earlier favela or that penthouse?
>>
>>52728030
New World mentality is much more accepting of inequality than the Old World, just look at the US, Mexico, etc.

Alphaville e a Favela is a thing there, though very few things beat being a rich guy living in Brasil due to the abundance of very cheap labour and despairing people willing to be treated like dirt
>>
>>52731368
It's more or less the same here, the singer himself can be of poor background but the producer has to be powerful and have contacts. Otherwise no amounts of talents will make the person successful.

>>52731799
In the video's case it was the buildings.
>>
>>52731799
I think it varies. I don't know about that specific case in the picture, but in my city we recently had a company buy a huge empty lot next to some favelas and build a middle-upper class gated community in there.

Land is cheaper in poverty-stricken zones, so it's often a good investment. It also happens to attract commerce and further investment in the region, and further presses the local government into fixing public issues such as pavement, street lighting and water/sewage problems. So, in a way, it ends helping the favelas as well.
>>
>>52730535
>We haven't had coronelism in ages in Brazil
Collor and Renan Calheiros are coronels.

Os Sarney tem uma capitania hereditária.
Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.