[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Obscure Cultural Practices
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /int/ - International

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 6
File: marilwyd.jpg (72 KB, 512x890) Image search: [Google]
marilwyd.jpg
72 KB, 512x890
What obscure cultures or practices does your country still practice?
Cunt: Wales
Practice: Mari Lwyd
This is a bit weird, but essentially it involves schoolkids dancing around with a horses skull on a stick, usually decorated (pic related) but sometimes it wasn't. We only did it in school up til like, year 7, and only once or twice a year, around christmas. It never really struck me until strange til I started thinking about it recently, but we used real horses skulls and just like, fucked about in the hall singing and shit with a dead horse on a stick.
Fucking Wales
>>
>>52701098
It's more superstitions, but my father used to get mad if we put the bread on the table upside down or if he saw a rabbit.
>>
File: ysgyrydfach.jpg (86 KB, 720x487) Image search: [Google]
ysgyrydfach.jpg
86 KB, 720x487
>>52701241
Oh wow, any particular reason?
On the lines of superstition one of the mountains around my town has a weird shape (pic related) that lots of people say is because thats where the devil stood as Jesus was crucified.
[spoiler]Rudolf Hess[/spoiler] used to like taking walks up there while he was imprisoned nearby
>>
>>52701410
Oh man, I love this kind of legends, bring some more if you know others !
For the bread it's an old superstition, basically in the middle ages, in the market, the executioner had his own bread turned upside down, so that he knew he could come, pick it an go away as fast as possible, as everybody was avoinding him for obvious reasons. So it was said that bread upside down was bringing bad luck or even death because of this.

For the rabbits, it's just that he was a fisherman, so he avoided rabbits because of the tradition. But he really took it seriously, not just as a folklore.
>>
>>52701582
That's pretty cool man!
There's a few set around the town and stuff yeah, alot of the stories from my town are more tellings of history. There's a little street that was called Traitor's Lane, because one of the town's gates used to be there and when the town was controlled by the English a local woman opened the gate for Owain Glyndwr's army to enter the town, then they burned it down. In the castle an English lord invited a load of the local Welsh chieftains in to a dinner and then had them all slaughtered, but my favourite is a local pub. It's called the King's arms, because the King refused to stay in the castle because it was too cold and empty, so he stayed in the pub down the road instead.
>>
>>52702638
Your town sounds like it really liked the English cock in its butt desu.
>>
File: 1.jpg (259 KB, 940x588) Image search: [Google]
1.jpg
259 KB, 940x588
Literally everything coming from Northeastern Brazil, Holy shit
>>
In America you clap after the movie ends
>>
Grandmother gave me rain water from a sea shell when i was a baby because it took too long for me to start speaking.
Another grandmother told me if you have annoying guests, you should put a broom behind a door, and throw a bit of salt in your garden.
And my mother once found a frog with a sutured mouth, and inside of it, someone's name. It's an old "Simpatia", but an evil one.
>>
>>52703330
I never understood this meme. I haven't ever actually seen people clapping after a movie ever. Does it only happen in certain places?
>>
>>52703330
People also clap after an airplane lands. But i guess that's understandable.
>>
>>52703417
Certain places and certain movies.

Example:
Star War nerds clapping after the movie ends because of how much they like the franchise.
>>
File: 42183-050-3D867EF1.jpg (552 KB, 1600x1260) Image search: [Google]
42183-050-3D867EF1.jpg
552 KB, 1600x1260
This happens in some places around here.
>>
>>52703488
> implying they don't clap all the fucking time throughout the movie
>>
File: 2281179533_8f8c009661_b.jpg (376 KB, 1024x681) Image search: [Google]
2281179533_8f8c009661_b.jpg
376 KB, 1024x681
>>52701098
hello
>>
here's some retarded customs i've heard:
>if you loiters in front of a door you will never get a gf
>if you drip a lemon juice to blood of the deceased, you will hear their spirit's scream and they will haunt you
>if you jumped/stepped over leaned bamboo tree after the dusk, you will be lost into another dimension
>some people still wash their kriss and feed them with blood every specific date in a month
>>
File: 01b.png (24 KB, 111x111) Image search: [Google]
01b.png
24 KB, 111x111
>>52701098
Europeans are pagan as fuck. You all need God's word.
>>
Sure I've lots
>never open an umbrella indoors
>don't light candles indoors or someone might die
>some people pay women to cry at their dead relative's grave to protect them from evil spirits
>never give out your name to strangers because something something evil
Can't remember any more but there's a lot
>>
>>52706903
>don't light candles indoors
wut
>>
>>52706931
something to do with the Church but I'm not sure
Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.