[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Who /appalachia/ here? Southern WV reporting in
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /int/ - International

Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 8
Who /appalachia/ here?

Southern WV reporting in
>>
Lies.

People in WV don't own computers, they think computers were invented by the devil.
>>
tell your mother and your sister my regards, she'll always in my mind
>>
>>52624100
Appalachia is the poorest part of our state and West Virginia is evidence of what happens when your entire state is Appalachia.

Good nature and scenery though
>>
>>52624168
It's where my heart is, man. Tried living in California. Tried living in Colorado. Mountains brought me back. Something about them is spectacular, and the people, despite being poor, are good natured, and there's always something to do outside.
>>
>>52624100
Farthest I've been in the mountains is western maryland and west virginia. Shit gets weird and hillbilly real quick but it sure is pretty.
>>
>live in suburbs of NYC
>visit the mountains near the NY/Penn border for hiking trip
>all the towns look like "what if meth was a town"?
>>
South-Central PA in the house.
>>
Piedmont master race, appalachia is for poor coalniggers
>>
Nashville here, so I just miss the mark.
you mountain people and your Tennessee Vols smdh
>>
>>52624100
i made a thread about Appalachia here some months ago after I had read an article in the economist about it. really interesting to know there is such a big and poor region in the USA filled with white people that is doing bad for so long time. I had no idea about it before
>>
File: w23423523425.jpg (60 KB, 700x700) Image search: [Google]
w23423523425.jpg
60 KB, 700x700
>>52624114
>>52624168
>>52624684
>>52624733
>>52624785
>>52624857
God damnit I just love this region of the country so much. It's so beautiful and everyone here only wants to do the best for themselves, their families, and for God, and everyone shits on them for it because there are no jobs here outside of government and coal.

Luckily I'm a web dev so I make a killing compared to most people around here, but these are good people.
>>
>>52624857
They're descended from some of the first colonists. Back before the USA was formed, the richer colonists got the most fertile land to grow indigo/tobacco/etc, while the poorer ones either got to move up to the mountains where they had to fight off the immense numbers of indians, or go to Georgia which was basically a penal colony/meat shield and acted as a buffer zone between Spanish Florida and the wealthy Carolinas. Basically they've always been fucked and underprivileged, though when Scots/Irish came over they learned how to make moonshine, which allowed them to multiply the value of their corn crops 10x by turning it into alcohol.
>>
File: US0039.gif (80 KB, 1152x720) Image search: [Google]
US0039.gif
80 KB, 1152x720
>>52624857
Here's a map, Consuela.
>>
>>52624927

I'm one of the guys you replied to.

I'm sure you guys are great, but man, from the point of view of an upper middle class yank, it was really depressing driving past all those abandoned shacks.
>>
File: kentucky.jpg (345 KB, 1024x1024) Image search: [Google]
kentucky.jpg
345 KB, 1024x1024
God's country desu
>>
File: 28_40trailer-park.jpg (250 KB, 951x750) Image search: [Google]
28_40trailer-park.jpg
250 KB, 951x750
>>52625008
Here's a West Virginia trailer park just for fun
>>
>>52624100

I grew up right near the border in Central/Eastern Ohio, but my family comes from Appalachian stock.

I think it's all lovely and would love to eventually find a home in Eastern Tennessee when I'm financially secure.
>>
>>52625076
A lot better that the ones I saw driving through Kentucky. Holy shit that was depressing...
>>
ayyy family's from the north GA mountains. Unfortunately we no longer have land up there since my grandfather died and my grandmother moved south near ATL to be closer to us so we could care for her. Gonna move back one day.

>>52624100
I'm thinkin of taking my gf to WV before christmas break is over. Where would you recommend going for good hiking?
>>
>>52624100
I got family down near Logan
>>
>>52625082
Tennessee is GOAT desu, great manufacturing economy. I hope to get a job there when I graduate high school and leave Georgia
>>
>>52624857
Are you that surprised? South Brazil is white and the people there are in a similar state.
>>
Is the oxy epidemic still in full force? Remember watching a documentary a year or two ago about weekly plane flights from Appalachia to Florida where oxyheads would fill as many prescriptions as they could and then take their haul back with them.
>>
>>52625149
>oxy
>not heroin master race
Heh, I find it hilarious how people can say shit like "oh damn im hurting, oxy withdrawals are the worst" lmao how weak must you be holy shit senpai
>>
>>52625149
Far as I know yeah. Entire region has bad employment prospects since the mining and whatnot's gone. You either get into college and leave Appalachia or don't and stay around doing nothing. Even if you do get in there's no guarantee you'll make it with so many people in our generation moving back home. Until that's fixed drug abuse will be a problem
>>
>>52625149
Heroin is a middle-class thing. Meth is cheap and easy to find, heroin is expensive and most people who use it were pre-disposed to using it from prescription opiates.
>>
Alleghany County here.

>tfw we have a meth problem
>>
>>52625324
lots of counties in the south do senpai.

who /hoping the south legalizes weed so maybe people will start using that instead and random houses can stop blowing up/ here?

and yes I know a meth head is unlikely to consider weed a good substitute.
>>
>>52625323
Heroin is a cheap opiate when compared to oxys.

I'M HIGH OFF WEED AND OXYCODONE
I'M A CAFFEINE FIEND TAKING SHOTS OF SODA

>>52624927
Bullshit. The people here will scam you every time. The electricians will purposefully give you fucked up wiring so that it breaks so you can pay them more money.

The septic system blew up beneath our house and the water works company is telling our neighbors and I that we have to pay for it since it's on our land (they did work and it fucked up after that).

Everyone here is either retarded, a con artist, or a retarded con artist.
>>
>>52625323
Heroin is cheaper than other opiates, you knucklehead.
>>
>>52625363
>people using weed
>as a substitute for a stimulant
m8

>yes I know a meth head is unlikely to consider weed a good substitute.
Because it isn't. Adderal and ritalin are good substitutes, but they're not as strong.
>>
File: dank.jpg (147 KB, 1500x1500) Image search: [Google]
dank.jpg
147 KB, 1500x1500
>>52625406
>>52625386
My post was only a ruse to weed out the heroin addicts in this thread. I knew that heroin was cheaper. Please call 966-8334 if you're an struggling with opiate addiction
>>
>>52625489
>you have to be a heroin addict to realize that heroin is cheaper than other opiates
Do you even bluelight? Do you even roommates that get expelled because of heroin use?
>>
>>52625414
it was a may may m8
>>
Poll for anyone still in the thread who currently still lives in Appalachia: how's the dialect doing? My grandparents' generation were the last to really speak with that "hillbillie" style, everyone else just speaks general southern due to living outside of the region and going to school and whatnot. Only difference is we know some weird words and phrases that no one else around here uses.
>>
I'm so sorry that all of you had the misfortune of being born in 3rd World Liteā„¢
>>
>>52624100
>southern ohio
>appalachia
that's really stretching it

cincinnati represent
>>
>>52626117
>how's the dialect going?
Honestly, there isn't even really a dialect where I live. I live in pretty much West Virginia (5 minutes from the border) and I don't notice it that much. Doesn't sound too distinct, or maybe it's just not something I pick up on.
>>
>>52626117
yes southern accents still exist
there are a bunch of girls in my nursing class that sound like they're straight out of some backwoods hellhole. A couple are qt. Community college is where they're at
>>
>>52626351
>southern accents still exist
no shit, I have one. I'm talking about an accent/dialect specific to the part of Appalachia in the southern states. From what I've heard on a few visits up there no one talks like my grandparents used to anymore, everyone just has what I'd consider an unusually thick southern accent. I figured deeper in the mountains people might still talk like that, though.
>>
File: Piedmontmap.png (35 KB, 250x250) Image search: [Google]
Piedmontmap.png
35 KB, 250x250
Who /piedmont/ here?
Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.