[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
gonna learn chinese characters for fun. So no inhuman drilling
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /int/ - International

Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 5
File: 1.jpg (38 KB, 600x464) Image search: [Google]
1.jpg
38 KB, 600x464
gonna learn chinese characters for fun. So no inhuman drilling or autism. Just for fun.
First: kanji or simplified hanzi?
Second: should I start with Heisig?
>>
>>52602432
i used to learn kanji with anki, it's impossible to baka gaijin to learn them

anyways good luck
>>
File: 1450831480703.png (159 KB, 249x484) Image search: [Google]
1450831480703.png
159 KB, 249x484
>>52602474
for*

sorry
>>
memrise is pretty useful if you're doing it casually once a day 5 minutes of your time
>>
>>52602515

do you have bunda in Argentina too or are your ladies more classy and refined?
Argentina > Brazil.
>>
>>52602432
Simplified, 同志
>>
File: 43623643634.png (807 KB, 596x594) Image search: [Google]
43623643634.png
807 KB, 596x594
>>52602715
not as much bunda as brazil, sadly
>>
>>52602690

yes. Kanji or Hanzi?
>>
>>52602887
That depends on if you want to learn Japanese or Chinese of course. Plus you don't learn those characters for fun, you either study them like your life depends on it or you'll learn them so slowly it takes a decade to know enough of them to read literature.
>>
>>52602887
>>52603432
And as you're a casual, it would probably be best for you to look up a video explaining the tones of Mandarin on YouTube and then start the Memrise Mandarin course, there's really no point trying to learn the characters without at least one pronunciation. You'll learn the simplified hanzi, as this comrade suggested>>52602772
>>
>>52603432
Once you learn the basics, Chinese characters aren't impossible to accumulate. It's very pattern-based.

I recommend Skritter (mobile app, paid subscription). It's the most hands-on way to learn how to write.

If you're learning to just read, though, Memrise or Anki are your best bets.
>>
File: 1450629861840.png (39 KB, 321x322) Image search: [Google]
1450629861840.png
39 KB, 321x322
>>52605282
Most characters have components which help you guess the meaning and sound.

For example, 女 means woman. You will find 女 in the following words: 奶 (milk); 奸 (rape); 妆 (cosmetics); 妈 (mother). These components shape the character's meaning.

马 (prounounced "ma") means horse. If you a see character with 马 in it, chances are it is pronounced like "ma". Remember "mother" (妈)? It's pronounced "ma". Other words that are pronounced "ma": 吗,骂,码,玛, etc.

You will see patterns like these emerging as you learn. It's really not hard to master 2,000 characters this way.
>>
a friendly warning, you will forget it if you don't use it regularly

t. 有点经历

PS people have pride in telling me they learned chinese and i say cool and they start to write their name or try to write some phrase and they pause then they say oh it might have been like that and they don't finish the character and try to go on the next one and end up not writing anything

so there is a large space between able to recall symbols written vs being able to recognize them already printed ones.
>>
>>52603432

that's the point: i do not wanna learn japanese or chinese, for now i just wanna have fun with characters.
>>
>>52605576

of course mate there are way to remember them and that's what i find interesting. It's the same with 人 you can find it in a shitload of characters
>>
>>52607190
I recommend Skritter, then. It's not cheap but it's a fun way to learn how to write.
>>
>>52607547

dude, i'm not gonna pay to learn chinese/japanese characters. You can find them everywhere for free. That's also why it's cool...i would rather spend my monies on lagavulin
>>
File: dwight.gif (431 KB, 175x175) Image search: [Google]
dwight.gif
431 KB, 175x175
>>52607764
Then why are you asking /int/?
>>
>>52603609
well, actually
recognizing the characters is actually pretty useful. they're used in a large number of languages, and are handy just to know. a few months ago i memorized the HSK1, like OP just because it was something to do and I like calligraphy. it makes just about everything that's eastern easier to understand or appreciate. i don't watch much anime, but my roommates do. since many characters are conserved it makes anime more enjoyable.
>>
>>52607976

keep it free.
>>
>>52608015

yeah, it's fun and interesting.
>>
>>52608041
That is so classic Italy
>>
>>52607125
You're missing some information, and it's making you look stupid.

Japanese uses Kanji. Chinese doesn't. "Hanzi" just refers to the thousands and thousands of traditional and simplified characters that Mandarin/ Cantonese/ whatever uses.

Now that you know that
FirstL Hanzi, since you said you want to learn "chinese characters," not japanese.
Second: this won't help you learn "chinese characters"
>>
>>52608469

are you implying that kanji are "japanese characters"?
>>
>>52607125
>>52608015
There is a reason I said you need to learn at least one pronunciation. I recommended Mandarin because obviously it's the most useful, and all the characters only have one pronunciation you need to know as opposed to Japanese. Having some way to say them in your head is important if you want to recognise them as actual words, but more importantly: if you're interested in learning the characters, one day you're going to be interested in learning one of the languages, and you're really badly going to regret not learning the pronunciations if you didn't because you'd have to go over every single character again.
>>52608610
Let me take this to illustrate something.
The characters are called 漢字, meaning Han Characters. These characters originally came from China, and were introduced to and adopted by Japan. The Japanese pronounce 漢字 as "kanji". Eventually the Japanese went from writing Chinese to fitting the language they already onto existing kanji with similar meanings, sometimes more than one of them. Now they combine it with to syllabaries to form Japanese.
In Mandarin, 漢字 is pronounced "Hànzì". There are several differences between the Chinese Hànzì and the Japanese Kanji in that their meanings, compound words, pronunciations, and way of writing have evolved differently in Japan and China. On top of that, HK and Taiwan use traditional Hànzì while mainland uses simplified.
So yeah, kanji could by now be called Japanese characters. They are part of Japanese and if you learn them from Japanese, you read like they are part of Japanese. Example: 的 is a character that is often read "teki" in Japanese. Usually it functions like -al in English: function-->functional etc.
In Mandarin it is pronounced "de" and it functions as the possessive particle among other functions.
So please just learn Mandarin and don't waste your time.
>>
>>52611195
why even learn to read and write in the first place? just learn the language. I can't read kanji for shit but can converse in Japanese.
>>
>>52611325
Because you don't want to be an illiterate nigga, plus learning the written language is hard, but when you're not in the country where the language is spoken you're better of spending your time learning to read than learning to speak, as you can learn that ten times more efficiently by just going to China/Japan for some time
>>
>>52611494
again why would you learn how to write in an extremely inefficient esoteric system. Just learn the language "for fun" if you want to do anything fun, and it's far more prestigious saying you can converse in said language.
>>
>>52611653
Because it's not about prestige, it's because being able to write and read is just as important as being able to speak. Plus the written language is beautiful as well.
I really couldn't imagine knowing Japanese but not being able to read it. Must be really weird, seeing signs in Japan and needing someone to pronounce them to know what it means.
>>
>>52611945
I'm not in japan nigga. Most of the world was illiterate for most of its history, what exactly can't you imagine about learning a language but not learning how to read in it. They don't have a simple system like Arabic or Latin.
>>
>>52612040
I understand that you are not interested in learning to read/write. If you enjoy that, well good for you.
But if you have zero prior knowledge of the language, don't know anyone who can teach you the language personally, and are going to learn it using SRS anyway, it's going to be a tremendous waste of time to learn either the characters without pronunciation or the pronunciation without the characters.
As I said, do whatever you want, but when I learn a language I want to be able to converse in person as well as over text/whatsapp/imageboards, and be able to go to the country and be able to read maps, menus, posters, weird neon signs advertising products etc. etc. and not get that homesick, disconnected and slightly surreal Lost in Translation feeling
>>
>>52612399
I just learned Japanese from watching anime as a kid so it wasn't really intended but I can see what you mean, however that system is esoteric and they spend over a decade learning it.
>>
>>52612626
>I just learned Japanese from watching anime as a kid
There are many people who believe this and most of them are not conversational at all, but okay. And we can learn the characters a lot more efficient than Japanese school children do, as our brains are more developed at this age and we have Anki and Memrise, which really helps incredibly. Anyway, good night! I think OP left the thread anyway.
>>
>>52612799
>There are many people who believe this and most of them are not conversational at all
No just shounen stuff sometimes sounds like popeye, but it's still the same language. You don't need to learn a different brand of English to understand popeye.

And it's arguably harder because language acquisition is slower with age.
>>
>>52608015
Not just the characters, but the sounds too. Like in Korean, the word for public park sounds pretty much the same as the Chinese word, "Gongyuan"
Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.