[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why bother learning Esperanto as a global language when English
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /int/ - International

Thread replies: 52
Thread images: 5
File: 76741_Esperanto_kidschain.jpg (24 KB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
76741_Esperanto_kidschain.jpg
24 KB, 400x400
Why bother learning Esperanto as a global language when English already functions as such?

English is here to stay, even after the Anglosphere burns to ashes.
>>
>>52538365
i hate it because it refuses to acknowledge the importance of language to a culture

what you'd lose by losing your language can't ever be replaced, no matter where you're from.

fucking hippies
>>
>>52538365
Esperanto fucking sucks dick
>>
>>52538365
>even after the Anglosphere burns to ashes
No it wouldn't, that would be against historical narrative
>>
And english is just as easy
>>
File: 1448085067851.jpg (53 KB, 424x600) Image search: [Google]
1448085067851.jpg
53 KB, 424x600
People don't learn Esperanto for that reason nowadays, as it's an impossible dream and they fucking know it.

They do it just because they can, not to mention Esperantists are able to participate in their own small circlejerks, and they also have the Pasporta Servo thingie (which is pretty neat imo). So yeah it's just a hobby, and all esperantists who deny that are deluded.
>>
>>52538365
esperanto >>>> english
>>
Esperanto conjugations are trash. Words shouldn't end in J. Completely turned me off to the concept.
>>
>>52538428
>culture
>not a constrictive institution which strangles individualism
>>
>>52538428
>refuses to acknowledge the importance of language to a culture

Actually it is because of that that it was invented
>>
>>52538365
Isn't Esperanto something that was cool for like two seconds in the 1960s? The OP pic would certainly suggest that.
>>
>>52538976
this, english is disgusting
>>
File: 4196675416.jpg (151 KB, 620x440) Image search: [Google]
4196675416.jpg
151 KB, 620x440
>>52539233
pls
>>
>>52538952
>individualism
>a good thing
>>
>>52539252
Go back to being invaded by Germans if you hate English so much.
>>
>>52539342
wasn't it the russkies who went to Germany through Poland and met you at Berlin
>>
>>52539342
plus we have freed from soviets by ourselves
>>
>>52538910
>other languages shouldn't have different language conventions!
>It should be just like English!
>>
>>52538365
>>52459235
>>
>>52538428
Any ethnic language is linked to a certain culture and nation or group of nations. For example, the student who studies English learns about the culture, geography and politics of the English-speaking world, primary the United States and United Kingdom. The student who studies Esperanto learns about a world without limits, in which every country is like a home.

We assert that the education of any ethnic language is linked to a specific worldview. We are a movement for transnational education.
>>
>>52538888
>not striving for the final victory
>>
>>52539712
>being an idealist
that's why you're all so sad
>>
>>52539693
>The student who studies Esperanto learns about a world without limits, in which every country is like a home

t. come on into my country, Ahmed and Ngu I don't believe in borders because that's wacist
>>
>>52539739
You're too poor to afford dreams. It is such a sad world.
>>
>>52539740
>2015
>being a statist

Nice try, capitalist swine.
>>
>>52539693
>the education of any ethnic language is linked to a specific worldview
indeed

which worldview do you want people having? One that lead to the formation and operation of two successful empires, or one made up and untested?

Language structures your brain, you want to learn a powerful and successful language. Learn a synthetic language and you may well kill your humanity.

English is a global language because it steals words and phrases from all other languages. Its basically 'adaptation: the language', with no real rules. The perfect language for problem solving.
>>
my problems with esperanto:

1. sounds robotic.

2. doesn't look like a language.

3. its community is fucking annoying.

4. ido is better.
>>
>>52539761
You and Hillary Clinton are welcome to take 100 Syrian refugees (read young military aged men) into your neighborhood. I'm not stopping you.
>>
>>52539769
English is the language of genocide and oppression. Fuck off, whitey.
>>
>>52538910
There are lots of English words ending in that sound, idiot.
>>
>>52539781
>1. sounds robotic.
No, that would be Lojban.

>2. doesn't look like a language.

It looks like Spanish mixed with German.

>3. its community is fucking annoying.

Incorrect.

> ido is better.

Better at being irrelevant.
>>
>>52539693

I think you're overestimating that. I've been studying English since the age of seven and I'm still quite an orthodox vatnik desu.

OTOH once you learned the language you start picking up the culture. There are tech books which also preach muh equality and diversity, Easter eggs in games etc.

BTW games are quite a motivation. Are there games in Esperanto which also is similar to Fallout 1 writing wise?
>>
>>52539781
>1. sounds robotic.
Nice opinion.
>2. doesn't look like a language.
Good to know. I must have been confused. That probably explains why I have seen languages laying on the ground in the forrest.
>3. its community is fucking annoying.
So is this one. Why are you here?
>4. ido is better.
OK. I trust you speak it then. Eble ni povas paroli, cxar estas tre sameme. Mi kutime povas legi Idon.

>>52538888
I think I started learning Esperanto for the reasons you described. Basically I found a book and though that it would be neat.
As time went on, I feel that I have started to identify far more with the views of Zamenhof, and with the sort of Esperantist Philosophy.

>>52539769
You know, Tok Pisin is a language that steals from the other languages present. So is Geman. So is, Romanian, so Is probably just about every other living language on the planet. Anywhere you go, people talk to eachother and languages trade. Sometimes one takes over. Sometimes they blend together and make something new.

Now, why is not Tok Pisin the world language? It is not a question of the inherent details of the language--though that may play a part--it is largley a question of political and cultural influence. Today, English is the world language because the USA is sort of, you know, big and tough and at the center of things. Eventually, that will change.
>>
>>52539854
And how many of them do we use daily?
>>
>>52541316
Oy, ploy, Troy, boy, toy, soy, Roy, *unsure how to spell, following Esperanto conventions) koj . . .

Maybe you think they are ugly. I cannot argue against that. But it seems a petty detail to complain about for a language.
>>
File: 1445393619514.gif (959 KB, 299x199) Image search: [Google]
1445393619514.gif
959 KB, 299x199
>learn Esperanto
>make friends all over the world and have some good times thanks to it that I wouldn't have had otherwise
>random anons are mad about this
>>
>>52540728
>I think I started learning Esperanto for the reasons you described. Basically I found a book and though that it would be neat.
>As time went on, I feel that I have started to identify far more with the views of Zamenhof, and with the sort of Esperantist Philosophy.

Tio okazis al mi. Mi eklernis nur por scivolemo/ŝato de lingvoj, kaj nun mi ŝatas la "internan ideon" ankaŭ.
>>
>learning Spanish 2
>>
>>52538428
All ethnic cultures are shit.
>>
>>52538365
Interesting but unfortunately the language is really ugly
>>
>>52545040
I would not say all ethnic cultures are, but certainly limiting ones understanding of culture to being about ethnicity and genetic heritage, is silly.
>>
>>52545104
Even uglier than English which is remarkable in itself.

They tried to cater too much to the Slavic languages, which simply don't mix with Romance languages. By itself Russian sounds beautiful, but if you mix it with Spanish / French you get memey languages like Portuguese and Esperanto.
>>
Just noticed there is an esperanto thread, so I'm gonna copy paste what I said in another thread to here so some speakers may be able to help me.

should I bother learning Esperanto?
How hard will it be? Is it really worth it? I already speak English and Spanish, so it should be really really simple for me.
I just feel like I wouldn't have any use for it, I've only ever met 1 fluent speaker of it irl. Is there online media I could access, like journalists who write in Esperanto, or perhaps songs and poetry?
Is there a large community of online speakers?
>>
>>52550235
>should I bother learning Esperanto?
No.
>How hard will it be? Is it really worth it?
No.
>I just feel like I wouldn't have any use for it
You won't.
>Is there a large community of online speakers?
No just a couple of autists who wear fedoras.
>>
>>52550302
t. I fucking hate people with hobbies, why the fuck do people enjoy things I don't?
>>
>>52550235
>should I bother learning Esperanto?
Totally up to you my freind. It is not going to automatically make itelf worth while, but I have found what I have done with it quite enjoyable. You just need to seek out opportunities to make it useful.
>How hard will it be? Is it really worth it? I already speak English and Spanish, so it should be really really simple for me.
Well, it is a language. It takes practice and has a lot of things to remember. It is not hard to get the basics, but becomming really good takes more practice.
>I just feel like I wouldn't have any use for it, I've only ever met 1 fluent speaker of it irl. Is there online media I could access, like journalists who write in Esperanto, or perhaps songs and poetry?
Yes. There is. Sometimes difficult to find.
Project Gutenberg has some esperanto material, but not much. If you tlook on youtube there is quite a lot of music in the language. I do not have particular links at the present, but it is not too hard to find some, if you look.
>Is there a large community of online speakers?
There are a number of places to find them on the internet. There is an irc channel (#esperanto on freenet), where I sometimes am. There also is a board on 4*2chan (apparently the real name is spam) if you are interested. Generally very slow, though.
>>
>>52550692
Hey, I'm on 4*2chan too. Which board is it? Perhaps I'll use the board from time to time.
Perhaps I will take up Esperanto. Maybe next time we chat it'll be in Esperanto :)
>>
>>52551219
/esperanto

I am not on there too much, but once in a while. And good luck in your studies.
>>
>>52548996
I thought Portuguese is just Spanish pronounced in French, what's Slavic about it?
>>
>>52552417

Nothing French about all that shoo shoo shoo there.
>>
where's that autistic slovak who always shills for esperanto
>>
>>52538365
>English is here to stay, even after the Anglosphere burns to ashes.
Just like every one speaks latin
Thread replies: 52
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.